Macclesfield relegated after EFL win appeal: Could this have knock on effects?

1 hour ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Well this could stir things up a bit.

Macclesfield failed to field a team twice last season, failed to pay their players at times and are in deep financial trouble. Looks to me like the EFL didn't want to start another season with a team that could potentially not fulfill their fixtures akin to Bury and pushing for a bigger points deduction got them out of the EFL.

Don't think the timescales would allow for them to relegate us pending appeals etc, but could try and hit us with a bigger deduction for next season. 

But having previous with Birmingham getting a reduction in their penalty I'd guess something would have to be materially different for us to get a heaftier penalty than we already have. 

5 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Don't think the timescales would allow for them to relegate us pending appeals etc, but could try and hit us with a bigger deduction for next season. 

But having previous with Birmingham getting a reduction in their penalty I'd guess something would have to be materially different for us to get a heaftier penalty than we already have. 

What reduction did Birmingham get?

Weird how the EFL want harsher punishments for their members once they have been found guilty. It's as if they want to force teams out of business when they should be trying to look after them. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

When the full reasons are released the EFL may well appeal. If they do I'd expect the club to counter appeal for a reduction in the penalty or even the judgement itself. This may take until the new season is underway so pragmatism might rule with both parties accepting the judgement and penalty as is. 

I'm sure it will end in this stalemate too. It will just drag on otherwise, However, I guess it depends on what ground an appeal can be lodged, and who has the most to lose, which is probably the EFL.

Edited by ChapSmurf

1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

Yes it has. We;ve been docked points for breaching the League’s Profitability and Sustainability rules for the three seasons. We have disputed that and are awaiting the written reasons for the decision. Until such times as we have it in black and white, we cannot appeal, if that is indeed what the club will do.

Not written it hasn't,well no official statement from SWFC in regards to an appeal or not.

Edited by BARMYARMY2010

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How do you know the club haven't yet received the official reasons? They have 14 days to act once they get them, not sure they will be formally announcing receipt of them, it's been 11 days since the decision was announced. 

Oh god,ok,ok,i was waiting some official statement or something from SWFC with regards to an appeal or not,that better ?

The EFL statement was rather telling.

No sense of disappointment that things have turned out like this. Perhaps strike a somewhat sympathetic tone towards the fans of Mac Town?

No, instead a sense of accomplishment that they've been successful in seeing another club relegated; one who may not comeback from this.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

The EFL statement was rather telling.

No sense of disappointment that things have turned out like this. Perhaps strike a somewhat sympathetic tone towards the fans of Mac Town?

No, instead a sense of accomplishment that they've been successful in seeing another club relegated; one who may not comeback from this.

Just like in all aspects of life . The rich invent the rules as they go along while the less well off will get nailed for the slightest infraction . Surprised they didn't film themselves high fiveing each other for their victory over a club in the mire and standing on them on their way down . 

3 hours ago, scram said:

Football is so broken that we have been deducted 12 points (and a ruined season because of it) due to the club owner spending money that he has in abundance

I think the EFL’s gripe is that club owners rack up debt against the clubs they own. I believe (but I’m happy to be corrected) that there is no issue if owners put their own money in. So Mr C can pump £100m into the club if he wishes as long as he doesn’t take out a director’s loan note. 

5 hours ago, cowl said:

Macclesfield could well fold.

Superb work from the EFL on this - they must be so proud of themselves.

In the meantime, they look idly on without doing a single thing about the biggest source of inequality throughout the football league which are the parachute payments. The consequences of them spiral all the way down to the conference.

They behave as though these payments don't even exist, or at least, aren't anything to do with them.

And then they have the gall to talk about the ‘integrity of the competition’.

I've really grown to despise them over these last 5 years or so.

Spot on

It's completely ridiculous what the EFL is doing to its own members.

All they are achieving is protecting the EPL and effectively creating more distance between it and the Championship.

What really is the point of all this? EFL allow dodgy folk in to run certain clubs then turn around and hand out points deductions and other penalties on the basis of some vague process supposedly related to fairness.

Football in England is dead

In a few years there will only be the EPL, just like the NFL in America. Solely funded by advertising and media

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Not written it hasn't,well no official statement from SWFC in regards to an appeal or not.

We may well have received written confirmation, but the club aren't duty bound to announce that. Once we have received confirmation, then I think we have 14 days to respond. However, the decision as to why we have been docked points has been given, and annouced by the club.

9 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

It’s time the Championship club owners got together and leave the EFL, possibly becoming PL2.

That's what Division 1 teams did back when football was founded in 1992, and PL1 was created.

Look how it worked out.  A protection racket for its members, with little thought about others.  A concentration of wealth and talent, it sucked the life out of the wider game for the benefit of the selected few.  Fans treated as cash cows as money flowed from your pocket to the pockets of millionaires, you struggle to find a game legally broadcast without paying for it.   The cash from Sky and the TV viewers didn't subsidise your ticket, it increased it.  

PL1 has such wealth because it has such clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Man City & Chelsea - these are worldwide brands, with world-class players.   A PL2 would not have any sort of financial clout, and it still wouldn't stop things like parachute payments.  

• Like 3