Factual reason to fully back Garry Monk to get us safely out of the -12 deduction

7 hours ago, GLOwl said:

Bruce had no transfer windows? Really? Who brought in Harris, Iorfa, odubajo?

He didn't manage any games with these players though did he! He improved results prior to that.

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
6 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Why does everyone talk about Bruce as the second Messiah? His record AT S6 doesn't read so great. He spent his first 2 months on another continent, one not exactly noted for  its top class Soccer,and openly said he wanted to watch a different sport,he then comes in, the great I AM,then a couple of months later f***s off to a rival club, with bette r prospects. Not exactly  saviour tactics! 

Monk inherits Bruce's team, a poo situation with EFL, in the middle of which he runs into an unheard of COVID situation, and finds, on resumption, 3 of his top men refusing to extend their contracts. He then finds that, on return, the rest of his players playing like  they still had a nasty dose of COVID. he is stll unable to play his No.1 sub - his crowd!

Te only thing which amazes me is 'Why stay at such a basket case of a club?

You lost me at “soccer” :bullen:

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He didn't manage any games with these players though did he! He improved results prior to that.

YES & so did Monk...in the first 23 Games,we were third & challenging for an automatic promotion..   Monk had us there on 23 Games,Bruce didn't get us there over his 18 games in charge did he?we fell away from the play off spots,how come you don't mention that?

Didn't improve all results did he? Must have been his fault for not lifting & motivating the Players eh? Cos that has been the gist of the 'Monks ****** arguments,its not the Players its the Manager? Bruce comes here (eventually,) after allegedly sending in 'Right said Fred' to Coach in his absence(remember the Chelsea embarrassment? no attempt whatsoever,in my view to make a match of it....)

Stays for 18 matches than despite having a Contract ****s off elsewhere,leaving us where exactly? yet people still sing his praises..Halle****inglula...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, parajack said:

YES & so did Monk...in the first 23 Games,we were third & challenging for an automatic promotion..   Monk had us there on 23 Games,Bruce didn't get us there over his 18 games in charge did he?we fell away from the play off spots,how come you don't mention that?

Didn't improve all results did he? Must have been his fault for not lifting & motivating the Players eh? Cos that has been the gist of the 'Monks ****** arguments,its not the Players its the Manager? Bruce comes here (eventually,) after allegedly sending in 'Right said Fred' to Coach in his absence(remember the Chelsea embarrassment? no attempt whatsoever,in my view to make a match of it....)

Stays for 18 matches than despite having a Contract ****s off elsewhere,leaving us where exactly? yet people still sing his praises..Halle****inglula...

I'm not singing Bruce's praises, the way he left undoubtedly leaves a sour taste but he is a more than competent manager and did improve results without the benefit of any signings.

As for falling away from the play-offs, it was never a realistic possibility from when he took over, the chance we had an outside sniff was down to him and we only lost 3 games under his management.

Monk had better be able to better motivate and apply tactics to the players he had last season because as things stand 13 of those that were regularly part of his squads last season are still at the club.  

1 minute ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Conversely Bruce's last 8 games included those 3 losses along with 2 draws and 2 wins..... relegation form. You could argue the new manager effect had worn off. Now I'm not saying that's the case and as you say he is a proven competent manager but who's to say?

This is just my opinion only, and others argue differently but I saw something different after the restart. The passing was crisper and there seemed an energy hitherto absent. I honestly don't think we garnered the points our all round game deserved but individual errors and profligacy in front of goal cost us.... IMO

I actually enjoyed watching us notwithstanding our depleted squad (not the results in the main obviously) which I'd not consistently done for 3 years.

Anyway, my last word on this as for me it's all about the now and the future. I am cautiously optimistic of a new brighter dawn though I realise that there are others that are more stridently pessimistic.

Still a better points per game record than the last 9 games under Monk then? We lost narrowly to a side that went on to win promotion and to a team that finished 3rd and lost an absolutely meaningless game at the end of the season. 

The first 2 or 3 games after the restart we an improvement but still only yielded 4 points. We then won one of the last 6 and continued to concede an average of 2 goals per game with no home wins and heavy defeats. 

You honestly enjoyed watching all of the last 9 games? We didn't come out 2nd half against Swansea, were easily beaten in the end by a West Brom side who were not on form, could have conceded way more than we did against Preston, abject against a poor Huddersfield team, lost by half-time against a Fulham side that hadn't scored 3 much all season never mind 5 and were a joke against Boro. 

I think the reason Bruce gets an easy ride from some on here including me is that we see his track record as a manager particularly at this level is first class. I think we’d have been thereabouts under Bruce as he knows what it takes to last the pace in the championship?

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

I'm trying to see where i said all.... oh... that's right... fkin nowhere.

So your problem with the new staff are that we should be spending the money on players instead of contracts for the new staff (your words not mine), but you have no problem with spending money on wages for staff? Seen as "fkin nowhere" did you say we should invest all the money in players instead of staff..

Just trying to comprehend your arguments

Edited by keepitsteel89

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Still a better points per game record than the last 9 games under Monk then? We lost narrowly to a side that went on to win promotion and to a team that finished 3rd and lost an absolutely meaningless game at the end of the season. 

The first 2 or 3 games after the restart we an improvement but still only yielded 4 points. We then won one of the last 6 and continued to concede an average of 2 goals per game with no home wins and heavy defeats. 

You honestly enjoyed watching all of the last 9 games? We didn't come out 2nd half against Swansea, were easily beaten in the end by a West Brom side who were not on form, could have conceded way more than we did against Preston, abject against a poor Huddersfield team, lost by half-time against a Fulham side that hadn't scored 3 much all season never mind 5 and were a joke against Boro. 

But apart from that we did ok? ha ha

6 hours ago, keepitsteel89 said:

So your problem with the new staff are that we should be spending the money on players instead of contracts for the new staff (your words not mine), but you have no problem with spending money on wages for staff? Seen as "fkin nowhere" did you say we should invest all the money in players instead of staff..

Just trying to comprehend your arguments

A. Your first post intimated that i said we should spend ALL our money on players....  I never did. I'd rather you didn't misquote me.
B. Your first line makes absolutely no sense at all

However, my thoughts re staff v players is that we have an abundance of staff, and are a few players short. I'd like to see us pick up a few more to fill the obvious gaps.

21 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'm not singing Bruce's praises, the way he left undoubtedly leaves a sour taste but he is a more than competent manager and did improve results without the benefit of any signings.

As for falling away from the play-offs, it was never a realistic possibility from when he took over, the chance we had an outside sniff was down to him and we only lost 3 games under his management.

Monk had better be able to better motivate and apply tactics to the players he had last season because as things stand 13 of those that were regularly part of his squads last season are still at the club.  

' he is a more than competent manager and did improve results without the benefit of any signings.'   So did Monk,for 23 Matches,before the squad allegedly let him down....Everything you say about Bruce,could be applied to Monk.Only difference of course,is Bruce didnt hang around long enough,to be eventually let down...

Bruce said he would need 4 transfer windows to turn things around....I read that as meaning players had to be moved on...Monk just got the short straw...got sick of it,in my view and probably decided to front it now...rather than put up with the alleged antics of some Players.Thats a good sign,of a Manager who wont take s**t

8 minutes ago, parajack said:

' he is a more than competent manager and did improve results without the benefit of any signings.'   So did Monk,for 23 Matches,before the squad allegedly let him down....Everything you say about Bruce,could be applied to Monk.Only difference of course,is Bruce didnt hang around long enough,to be eventually let down...

Bruce said he would need 4 transfer windows to turn things around....I read that as meaning players had to be moved on...Monk just got the short straw...got sick of it,in my view and probably decided to front it now...rather than put up with the alleged antics of some Players.Thats a good sign,of a Manager who wont take s**t

Fair enough, I take your point on Bruce, his tenure wasn't long enough to consider if form would have dropped off like it did under Monk. I seriously doubt we would have lost games regularly by half-time under Bruce and conceded 3-5 goals all too often but if we had I would have wanted him gone too.

As I've said, we still have 13 players that Monk failed to motivate or get a sound tactical performance from with any regularity last season so he better find a way of doing so as he still has to 'put up' with these players. The players that we have let go were either among the best perfomers last season in Fletcher, Murphy and to a lesser extent Fox, or players who you certainly wouldn't question the attitude of in Nuhiu and Lee.

25 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Alleged by who? Clowns on here who actually no nothing and make stuff up. 

There are enough sources to make your own mind up,i have........Same Players dropped by 2 different Managers,one Player openly alleging another isnt training hard enough...A Player who is regularly allegedly injured around Xmas....others who are allegedly 'injured' when dropped through loss of form,and dont want to sit on the bench...One player who refused to play a match, and others who have an unexplained alleged loss of form..numerous hints abound,without it being said openly.

Thats as good as it gets,that and the Managers own   statements on the  issues at S6.Press too have hinted at the reasons behind the  alleged problems.   Wednesday boss Garry Monk has repeatedly questioned the attitude and culture at the club, admitting in his post-match press conference after the 5-0 defeat at Brentford that until it changes the club ‘will never, ever be successful’.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/latest-owls-news/sheffield-wednesday-fernando-forestieri-isnt-working-hard-enough-place-owls-first-team-says-barry-bannan-1327314

Carlton Palmer:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/theyre-too-comfortable-sheffield-wednesday-legend-carlton-palmer-blasts-attitude-modern-players-2864316

Andy Hinchcliffe

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/former-sheffield-wednesday-defender-slams-players-and-admits-relegation-concerns-2445058

To name a few,so no,not just 'those on here'

Edited by parajack