Factual reason to fully back Garry Monk to get us safely out of the -12 deduction

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Is it incorrect to say that Monk as manager,harvested enough points to keep the Owls in the Championship,

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

You know when players/staff at the club said stuff like 'yeah can't put my finger on it really' and  'it's hard to say why we struggled in the second half' etc

They knew

They all knew why

Something kicked off at Christmas and it wasn't Monk's doing - that's for sure - although we'll probably have to wait for someone's book to come out in ten years time to know what it was

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

'Kept us in the championship'

We'd just had a good second half to the season before, only losing 4 of the last 24 matces.

We started ok this season under Bullen with 9 points from 6 games, 5 points off the top when Monk took over.

Do you think his remit from Mr C was to just keep us in the championship. I'm sure he expected us to be at least challenging for the play offs.

40 games and 47 points later we finished a poor 17th, with only 5 wins out of his 20 league games at Hillsborough.

Yeah 'good job' !

You know when players/staff at the club said stuff like 'yeah can't put my finger on it really' and  'it's hard to say why we struggled in the second half' etc

They knew

They all knew why

Something kicked off at Christmas and it wasn't Monk's doing - that's for sure - although we'll probably have to wait for someone's book to come out in ten years time to know what it was

others have already answered,facts dont lie,we are still a Championship side.....Santa didnt allegedly bring certain Players what they wanted.....and one player allegedly always missing around Xmas anyway....

I think this thread is really showing who's spitting their dummies out over Monk getting full backing from Chansiri when they seriously thought Monk was going to get fired a couple of weeks before a brand new season so we could bring in 'Big Sam', 'Mick McCarthy' or 'Neil Warnock'

lol

Come on now chaps - let's stop sulking and back the manager

Positivity is the future

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, parajack said:

Attitude,commitment,desire to want to battle for a place in the team,to feel pride in wearing the  shirt,having the bottle to still fight for every point,thats in my view what was missing in the second 23.And thats 4 square down to circumstances

Player injurys,especially Fletcher,a largely blank firing JR, & the alleged 'collapse of form' of other key players...all of this with COVID 19, and an EFL punishment as a backdrop,obviously left Monk with an impossible task.What ever i say you point to Monk,thats your view and i respect it,just dont agree.

Dressing room needed a new start,its got it,lets see where it goes...

You point towards attitude, commitment and desire. First and foremost those should come from within a player granted, but when a teams is down on those things, spirit and morale, the manger is the one who has to raise the squad.

Dawson, Wildsmith, Palmer, Borner, Lees, Iorfa, Pelupessy, Bannan, Harris, Reach, Rhodes, Hunt, those players were regularly part of the squad last season - 12 players plus the 3 that he brought in during the January transfer window. Those 12 will form the basis of the squad for next season as things stand, if he couldn't get the right attitude and level of commitment from them last season, what makes you think he will be able to now? 

Not sure why you threw COVID-19 into the mix, every club had to deal with that and while Fletcher was a major loss, not being able to adapt to the loss of one player does not bode well.  

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You point towards attitude, commitment and desire. First and foremost those should come from within a player granted, but when a teams is down on those things, spirit and morale, the manger is the one who has to raise the squad.

Dawson, Wildsmith, Palmer, Borner, Lees, Iorfa, Pelupessy, Bannan, Harris, Reach, Rhodes, Hunt, those players were regularly part of the squad last season - 12 players plus the 3 that he brought in during the January transfer window. Those 12 will form the basis of the squad for next season as things stand, if he couldn't get the right attitude and level of commitment from them last season, what makes you think he will be able to now? 

Not sure why you threw COVID-19 into the mix, every club had to deal with that and while Fletcher was a major loss, not being able to adapt to the loss of one player does not bode well.  

Mate,we have both made our points,i havnt convinced you,nor you me..its pointless rehashing each others points.Monk allegedly said the Players were not good ..enough...why is it up to Monk to get Pro footballers to earn their wages? Does your Boss have to negociate with you?  to get you to do the job your paid for?

..If you were sh*e would he go,or you?....Q:How do you Coach someone to care? to allegedly not give a ****,& stop allegedly taking the pi**,and pleasing yourself....? How do you do that?

.As to Covid 19,its very relevant mate.it meant that players contracted till July,had to be asked to sign a temp extension for the Club.as you know,3 didn't........it was also in my view just another excuse for some others to just allegedly 'give up' on top of the expected EFL points deduction/possible relegation

Edited by parajack

6 minutes ago, parajack said:

Mate,we have both made our points,i havnt convinced you,nor you me..its pointless rehashing each others points.Monk allegedly said the Players were not good ..enough...why is it up to Monk to get Pro footballers to earn their wages? Does your Boss have to negociate with you?  to get you to do the job your paid for?

..If you were sh*e would he go,or you?....Q:How do you Coach someone to care? to allegedly not give a ****,& stop allegedly taking the pi**,and pleasing yourself....? How do you do that?

.As to Covid 19,its very relevant mate.it meant that players contracted till July,had to be asked to sign a temp extension for the Club.as you know,3 didn't........it was also in my view just another excuse for some others to just allegedly 'give up' on top of the expected EFL points deduction/possible relegation

As I said, he is going to be struggling again then isn't he if he thinks the players aren't good enough because 12 of the ones he picked regularly last season will likely be in the squad again this season. 

My manager enables and assists me to do my job. Not sure what comparison to make in football terms but continually making half-time tactical substitutions points towards a manager regularly getting it wrong.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As I said, he is going to be struggling again then isn't he if he thinks the players aren't good enough because 12 of the ones he picked regularly last season will likely be in the squad again this season. 

My manager enables and assists me to do my job. Not sure what comparison to make in football terms but continually making half-time tactical substitutions points towards a manager regularly getting it wrong.

He could only pick from the available players!! no matter how poorly they may have been playing...Had to turn a team out!He could only bring in loan signings,and he didnt have control either (as far as i know) of recruitment..Only mr Chansiri(and of course the EFL!!) can decide if more decent signings will follow.

Time yet for more Players to come in,and Monk has only had 1 transfer window,Bruce(our saviour!!..not) reckoned he would need four...Why does Monk get 1? & judged harshly on it? seriously? How would you have motivated them?..Promo=tion if you graft? nope,Play offs? nope.New contract than? 2 more Years on the gravy train'? nope.....at least please the crowd than,for the last few games? nope.all that was left was pride in the shirt

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, parajack said:

He could only pick from the available players!! no matter how poorly they may have been playing...Had to turn a team out!He could only bring in loan signings,and he didnt have control either (as far as i know) of recruitment..Only mr Chansiri(and of course the EFL!!) can decide if more decent signings will follow.

Time yet for more Players to come in,and Monk has only had 1 transfer window,Bruce(our saviour!!..not) reckoned he would need four...Why does Monk get 1? & judged harshly on it? seriously?

Bruce had none and yet showed signs of improving the performances and results significantly.

How many transfer windows would you have given Jos Luhukay? Good managers are able to impact results with what they have to work with and then get the chance to improve further with transfer windows.  

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Bruce had none and yet showed signs of improving the performances and results significantly.

How many transfer windows would you have given Jos Luhukay? Good managers are able to impact results with what they have to work with and then get the chance to improve further with transfer windows.  

Bruce was better than i expected,but he would have been faced with the same issues Monk had,had he stayed longer...You can hardly use him as an example when he did what he did...Ive spent longer in the pie queue,than he spent managing Wednesday..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Bruce did have a full set of his own staff to work with though didnt he. Probably insisted on it and the fact they were there long before him suggests he did. And there cost is probably what prevented Monk having his till now.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Like 1

Just an idea, if DC is backing Monk by letting him bring his own staff in would it not be a good idea for DC to take more pressure off Monk by lowering both season ticket and match day tickets thus lowering the expectations of the fans. After all it was DC who set the higher prices on the promise of signing the best players, now we aren't doing that surely the prices should come down (if/when covid ever allows us back to games). 

Edited by full fathom five

10 hours ago, parajack said:

Bruce was better than i expected,but he would have been faced with the same issues Monk had,had he stayed longer...You can hardly use him as an example when he did what he did...Ive spent longer in the pie queue,than he spent managing Wednesday..

Beres ? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, alanharper said:

If you're convinced that "something kicked off at Christmas", how can you also assert that "it wasn't Monk's doing that's for sure"?  None of us know what, if anything, went on. 

Exactly, none of us knew. So why did the majority on here put the blame solely on Monk. 

My guess, is that there was a bad apple which caused the barrel to rot. Add in the uncertainty caused by potential EFL sanctions and the loss of our talisman, exposed us us to the reality that third place at Xmas was a false position for the squad we had.

That said, at most clubs he would have been sacked. The fact that he wasn’t tells me there was more going on behind the scenes than we will ever get to know.

11 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Bruce had no transfer windows? Really? Who brought in Harris, Iorfa, odubajo?

17 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But they weren't all consistently bad in the first half of the season. Why did he stop being able to get a performance out of them or motivate them to do what they proved they were capable of?

The players and manager have not been good enough, no denying that but the responsibility is with the manager to get more out of them when it is in them. Our squad wasn't as good as the 3rd place he (and Bullen who got 9 points from 6 games) got them to but they should have been better than 23rd which is what they have been in 2020.

No point going over old ground as the stats aren't going to change until the new season starts and now that he has some new staff to work with it is obvious he isn't going anywhere so I hope he proves you right and wipes out our points deduction sharpish. 

Not seen that mentioned before 😂

• Haha 1

Why does everyone talk about Bruce as the second Messiah? His record AT S6 doesn't read so great. He spent his first 2 months on another continent, one not exactly noted for  its top class Soccer,and openly said he wanted to watch a different sport,he then comes in, the great I AM,then a couple of months later f***s off to a rival club, with bette r prospects. Not exactly  saviour tactics! 

Monk inherits Bruce's team, a poo situation with EFL, in the middle of which he runs into an unheard of COVID situation, and finds, on resumption, 3 of his top men refusing to extend their contracts. He then finds that, on return, the rest of his players playing like  they still had a nasty dose of COVID. he is stll unable to play his No.1 sub - his crowd!

Te only thing which amazes me is 'Why stay at such a basket case of a club?

• Like 1
  • Love 1