Sheffield Wednesdays new season could start two weeks early

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Surely it would make sense just to cancel the Carabao cup next season? All clubs consider it a distraction, and there’s going to be enough congestion.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Bizarre that they would go to a pre season training camp, weeks after the season has started?

Maybe? could be a sign of Monks determination to stamp his authority, & get the squad bedded in,with his 3/5/2 systym( if thats what he goes with...) Maybe allow a little more time to 'Coach out' some of the basic errors that cost us so dearly this season.

Can of course,work the other way,with Players liable to injury in training,or (mental) fatigue through lack of 'lay off'..? (so they tell me) 

I can remember working in the Steel industry,hard manual physical work,in red hot conditions,in the Summer.But still having a knock about game of 'footie' in our lunch break,rather than resting.

Yes i was young,but such was our love for the game,that we didnt care.For those of a certain age....(& Wisewood veterans!)may also remember Gordon Hodgkinsons RIP. circuit training & 5 a side sessions, at Marcliffe Gym also. (70s)

Should just field U23's for Carabao cup and let the youngsters get match practice, depending on signings this summer, we're going to need to rely on them to make up our squad and it's a good opportunity to show themselves (and give the first team a rest to focus on the league).

58 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Should just field U23's for Carabao cup and let the youngsters get match practice, depending on signings this summer, we're going to need to rely on them to make up our squad and it's a good opportunity to show themselves (and give the first team a rest to focus on the league).

We don’t have any do we we’ve released them all or promoted them 

2 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

If swfc have to start their season with a Carabao cup tie, I'd treat it as just another "pre season" game, because I couldn't care less about that competition this coming season, it's all about getting a decent start in the league, right it off. 

Just my two penneth like. 

I agree with your two penneth lol

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

We don’t have any do we we’ve released them all or promoted them 

Well I'll volunteer to dig out my old black boots and turn out for us. Not got the engine I used to have so would sit back as a defensive midfielder and sweep up, spraying the ball 50 yard to feet and controlling the game.. Ie the joey role. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Surely it would make sense just to cancel the Carabao cup next season? All clubs consider it a distraction, and there’s going to be enough congestion.

Yes, it's been a pointless cup since about '92 onwards