I'd Walk a million miles

1 hour ago, Green Howard Owl said:

Funny how the football was crap in the 70s but I don't think I have ever enjoyed being a Wednesday fan as much,  away at boro and getting hammered think it was 8, it was just the best time to be with thousands of Wednesday fans, and lads like Sammy , thomo and all the others made it all worthwhile, here's to all of them and cheers lads thanks for the memory.

My sentiments exactly everyone seemed to look after each other if one were in we all were in

• Like 1
  • Love 3

45 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

My sentiments exactly everyone seemed to look after each other if one were in we all were in

Always tried avoiding trouble but remember one trip to Brighton at end of 75/76 season where we drew 1-1 and afterwards we were left to our own devices in Brighton until midnight (when coaches left). About 4 of us were on seafront with Bathtub (who weighed about 25 stone) when we started getting followed by some other lads and Bathtubs comment was "FFS lads stick together if they start owt' because I can't flipping run!"

As you said, one in all in.

Incidentally nowt happened!

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Always tried avoiding trouble but remember one trip to Brighton at end of 75/76 season where we drew 1-1 and afterwards we were left to our own devices in Brighton until midnight (when coaches left). About 4 of us were on seafront with Bathtub (who weighed about 25 stone) when we started getting followed by some other lads and Bathtubs comment was "FFS lads stick together if they start owt' because I can't flipping run!"

Bathtub .... Sammy...Fat sid ..Weeny...Tommo....Only met up with them on the terraces on a Saturday..but it was like a band of brothers...before mobiles/ internet....you just recognised faces at games and became one big unit 😂😂.......”We’re all mad ...We’re insane ....No-one takes the leppings lane “..............Crazy Great Days ...👍

Edited by Hughdowd
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Bathtub .... Sammy...Fat sid ..Weeny...Tommo....Only met up with them on the terraces on a Saturday..but it was like a band of brothers...before mobiles/ internet....you just recognised faces at games and became one big unit 😂😂.......”We’re all mad ...We’re insane ....No-one takes the leppings lane “..............Crazy Great Days ...👍

You missed out Geordie!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

you forgot mad Jack and Shem lol

19 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

I was there for that.

A few things stand out from that trip.

Standing outside a boozer before the match near Hampshire’s (then) cricket ground singing “there’s only one Geoffrey Boycott “.

Their late goal making a lot of us think we were virtually relegated

A posh wedding that overflowed onto the seafront having a massive mob of Wednesdayites walk through it

a 100 a side kick about on the beach

Going in a Brighton pub and being served by the first openly gay (in an Hello ducky way)  bloke I had ever seen in my sheltered life.

When we were all massing for the coaches back after a few hours solid drinking a copper calling one of our fans a “Herbert” which was a term I had never hear before.

Waiting for one of the few girls on our coach to turn up when someone said “she been arrested”.

Getting back to Pond street about 5am after setting off at 8:30 am the day before.

Happy days them.......

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 13/08/2020 at 14:54, Green Howard Owl said:

Funny how the football was crap in the 70s but I don't think I have ever enjoyed being a Wednesday fan as much,  away at boro and getting hammered think it was 8, it was just the best time to be with thousands of Wednesday fans, and lads like Sammy , thomo and all the others made it all worthwhile, here's to all of them and cheers lads thanks for the memory.

Well said 

Great days out especially on Chapeltown supporters club trips from the Coach
Great memories and great characters 

On 13/08/2020 at 14:54, Green Howard Owl said:

Yeah, 8-0. Remember thinking at 4-0 half time, they will take their foot off the pedal now........

Any club flags on LL will be safe now. Remember Sammy lowering and raising them to cheers / boos?

Some guy to be remembered with such affection all these years after!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WadsleyOwl said:

Wasn't there one called Polecat :ghoulguy:

What about “Annie Bovver”. Remember one of the papers doing an article on her for beating some up. Think she died very young though, but she was one of the characters I remember from those days. First girl I was ever scared of. 

2 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

Always remember the “Stocksbridge lads” were like a “we can take them on our own “ bunch ...like Brad Pitts army in the film Troy !! 😂😂

Good bunch the Stocksbridge lads, but they can be a mite territorial!

Remember the 1st time I went in the Coach (late 80s or early 90s I'm guessing, its long gone now) with half a dozen other Hillsborough lads and a couple of local lads.

The 2 local lads had gone to the bar and we were sat around the pool table, the atmosphere was very intimidating for a short while and I thought we were going to end up either getting thrown through or jumping through the window.

Never been happier to see the 2 locals, as they returned from the bar!

I've since got to know many of the lads who were in there that day and even been on Holiday with loads of em.

A good bunch who are very close knit, (a big family, literally sometimes 😂) they're still like the old days up there, they're all in it together, if one gets any bother, you'd have to tackle the lot of em, no matter how many are out be it 2 or 3 or 30.

Edited by OWL1969

7 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Good bunch the Stocksbridge lads, but they can be a mite territorial!

Remember the 1st time I went in the Coach (late 80s or early 90s I'm guessing, its long gone now) with half a dozen other Hillsborough lads and a couple of local lads.

The 2 local lads had gone to the bar and we were sat around the pool table, the atmosphere was very intimidating for a short while and I thought we were going to end up either getting thrown through or jumping through the window.

Never been happier to see the 2 locals, as they returned from the bar!

I've since got to know many of the lads who were in there that day and even been on Holiday with loads of em.

A good bunch who are very close knit, (a big family, literally sometimes 😂) they're still like the old days up there, they're all in it together, if one gets any bother, you'd have to tackle the lot of em, no matter how many are out be it 2 or 3 or 30.

Forgot to add, RIP Sammy. 

A face I think I can vaguely recall from being on the Lepp with my Dad in the 70s and who I've heard many stories about.

Ps we used to stand behind the goal with the goal to our right, can anyone who's old to remember tell me are the stories of 

"The left side and the right side" when bored true?

Loved singing the song while Sammy was being passed around people's shoulders on the lep. He loved I as well, big smile on his face. Those days bring back memories of my cousin Trevor Collins, god rest his soul.

Edited by GLOwl
Changed response
  • Love 1