I'd Walk a million miles

RIP Sammy

Didnt know him personally but remember him from the home and away games.

Reading through this thread you can see he was well liked, respected and not a bad word said against him. I hope he knew how much his Wednesday family cared for him as I imagine life would have been very tough for him at times.

WAWAW

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

He was a warrior ...

The daftest scruffiest craziest loyalist warrior you'd ever care to meet ..

Everyone loved him ..

But you wouldn't share a bottle of beer with him ..

I've never seen anyone climb up things that looked unclimbable like he could, he was doing Parkur 40 years before it was invented ..

Regularly used to offer me a swig out of his bottle ,in hole in road,on his lower hebs,always made my excuses

5 minutes ago, fatbloke no1 said:

Regularly used to offer me a swig out of his bottle ,in hole in road,on his lower hebs,always made my excuses

Loads of ground bait in there from what I remember. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Mus said:

I think nowadays he would be classed as special needs, but back then there wasn’t a label for people like Sammy. He was loved and he knew he was loved and although I knew people took advantage of him he was a brilliant guy and a true Owl.

Anyone around at the time will tell you what it was like to see him sat on someone’s shoulder with the whole ground singing to him and a smile as wide as the Wicker Arches.  

Those days are long gone and with it some soul of the club too.  I was glad I was there.

Top post Mus.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fatbloke no1 said:

4 hours ago, Nut said:

Loads of ground bait in there from what I remember. 

Good name for Biography that....

"An afternoon of Drinks & snacks with Sammy"..

1045753517_tenor(2).gif.b9a34d96c3d9edc767ccc0074f4881aa.gif

• Haha 7

Guest hirstysfags
23 hours ago, Mus said:

I think nowadays he would be classed as special needs, but back then there wasn’t a label for people like Sammy. He was loved and he knew he was loved and although I knew people took advantage of him he was a brilliant guy and a true Owl.

Anyone around at the time will tell you what it was like to see him sat on someone’s shoulder with the whole ground singing to him and a smile as wide as the Wicker Arches.  

Those days are long gone and with it some soul of the club too.  I was glad I was there.

Thank you for that. I was born in 74 so he's sort of new to me as well.

I remember an away game at Charlton, The Valley, probably early 80s. Just got a pint before the game and up comes Sammy with two tablets in his hand. he grabs my pint and says "just need a swig pal to take my poppers". He then took a swig which was at least half a pint and then offered me the plastic glass back and said "cheers mate".

I looked at the dribble running down the outside of the glass, and his chin, and said "you keep it Sammy and make sure they are well washed down".

I later found out it was a favourite trick of his and surprisingly no one ever seemed to want their pint back !!

RIP Sammy, and the next pint's on me (again) !!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 08/08/2020 at 21:33, Mus said:

A really good tribute that pal. 

• Like 4

RIP Sammy, you would turn up somewhere obscure in the late 70s and there was Sammy, always having a laugh, taking the Pi55, nothing phased him, remember the old bill trying to arrest him at the back of Blackpools kop (when they had the big split covered end) for D&D, he was having a fit, not the brightest lot Blakpool old bill

he will be climbing up a flagpole in the sky

god bless

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Went to a few away games with him and a load of others from the Hogs head pub hackenthorpe ,was only 14/15 at the time and we shared a mini bus /transit with him , this was an education on its own around the late seventies.

Not sure he went much after this period , know one seems to be able to say.

RIP SAMMY (Mad Sam) 

On 08/08/2020 at 21:33, Mus said:

Nailed it Mus.

Fond memories.

• Like 1

We used to rehearse as a band in Hackenthorpe. One day there was a knock on the (locked) door and it was Sammy and a pal. They'd heard us playing and asked if we could come in and listen. I obviously recognised him so agreed. As soon as we started playing Sammy was jumping about dancing for the whole song. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it since. He was truly a Legend.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 08/08/2020 at 17:16, asteener1867 said:

Sammmy, Sammmy...

I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles 

Oh Sammmmmy

Ought to be our anthem for next season...No f.ooker bar us will understand it...but get a siege mentality, f.ook every other f.ooker in the league....and belt it out!

I asked my dad if he had heard of a Wednesday fan who was around in the 70's called Sammy.

His eyes lit up ... "Yeah, I knew t'owd Sammy" and then he started telling me the stories about him, even bursting into the "Sammy" song as he was reminiscing. He repeated a lot of the stories on here about him and seemed saddened when I told him of his passing. Sounds like the guy epitomised  everything that should be fun about following The Wednesday.

Agree with Asteeer's suggestion above of using the song again. Other teams have seemingly random songs that only their fans really understand ... as Man City's "Were not really here", Stokes "Delilah" and Bristol Rovers "Goodnight Irene" are a few that spring to mind... maybe this could be ours?

• Love 8