I'd Walk a million miles

2 minutes ago, Mus said:

I think nowadays he would be classed as special needs, but back then there wasn’t a label for people like Sammy. He was loved and he knew he was loved and although I knew people took advantage of him he was a brilliant guy and a true Owl.

Anyone around at the time will tell you what it was like to see him sat on someone’s shoulder with the whole ground singing to him and a smile as wide as the Wicker Arches.  

Those days are long gone and with it some soul of the club too.  I was glad I was there.

Not much to add after the tribute above other than he had a heart of gold and everyone loved him for it. RIP Sammy ! 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

RIP Sammy, you made those dark 70s days a little bit brighter, always remember someone being lifted onto a barrier at the old Victoria ground and him being hit full in the face by an orange. My Grandad shrugged and said that'll be Sammy. 

• Haha 5

A really sad day ...As a youngster growing up on the terraces of hillsborough...Sammy was a real character everyone loved .... Everbody as one ...No Wednesday fans fighting each other then ...Loved the faces on the opposition fans ..when Sammy was lifted shoulder high to chants of ...”OH OH OH SAMMY ..SAMMY”..........Big Jack ..Sammy ...12 point deduction.....wish 2020 would  f##k off !!!!!

• Like 6

Whilst on leave I brought my newly wed wife to Hillsborough, Sammy must have done 2 laps of the Kop whilst Sammy was being sung, she couldn't stop laughing, she thought it would be boring but it turned out to be one of the funniest things she'd ever seen, rest in peace mate.

Heartbreaking news Sammy  wasn't just a fan he was Sheffield Wednesday FC, he loved the club and he was loved by everyone of us, it didn't matter how bad things were we had Sammy to brighten up our lives and souls, god bless Sammy, I would have walked a million miles for one of your smile's ....... rip 💔

• Love 2

Remember him being hosted in the middle of the kop after Jeff Johnson's equaliser against Arsenal - all the kop turned in in one moment just belted out 'Sammmy - i'd walk a million miles..' whilst pointing at this disheveled character. It sort of represented the 70s - which was a strange bond better the core fans and the club.

RIP Sammy.

• Like 1