Wolves and how to successfully cheat FFP rules

15 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

The aligned themselves with the super agent that is Mendes, we sold out to Stuffing Boy.

Only at Sheffield Wednesday.

They got very lucky. I dont blame us for not getting Mendes for example. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

No, I think they had a clear strategy and carried it out perfectly They also have a very good coach

Very true. All made possible by Mendes. My point is they were lucky getting him. Agents like that able to attract the best player the championship has probably ever seen in it, Dont come by all the time do they.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Very true. All made possible by Mendes. My point is they were lucky getting him. Agents like that able to attract the best player the championship has probably ever seen in it, Dont come by all the time do they.

No true, and had they not made the promised land, Mendes would have been proactive in relocating those big name players elsewhere. Unlike us, stuck with them until their contracts run down

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

For the second time in “recent” history you can argue we didn’t spend enough and properly go for it.

We didn’t, but in the long run, we’ve probably spent more in trying to achieve what they did

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SouthStand75 said:

Whilst they spent and got promoted, that’s not the only way to get promoted. You just need a manager who is good at working within a budget, who can identify players from the lower leagues with potential and will fit into how he wants to play. 

Yes you just need a manager who worked within a budget  ... easy as that isn’t it ..

18 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Comparing Wolves (who if I recall correctly made a profit for two consecutive years prior to their takeover) to us, and comparing UEFA FFP rules to EFL rules? It's kind of a moot point isn't it? You're comparing apples to oranges.

Their net transfer spend in 16/17 was £30m in the red, so not really profitable

12 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

It's probably overlooked because what your suggesting is not entirely true.

Yes Wolves went for it but in that promotion season and the season prior to it, they bought some very salable players to add to their already decent group of salable players. Players that other clubs would actually pay good money.  

If their gamble had failed, all the loan signings which contributed massively to the huge wage bill, would have returned to their respective clubs and to comply with P&S, they'd have to sell some top players to balance the books.

There isn't really a parallel to our club in that respect, as we signed players on huge wages on 4 year long contracts that no other club would pay decent money for, even if Chansiri agreed to sell them.

I agree with elements of what you say, however there are a few key points to note.

Firstly the transfer business in the first season Fosun took over was ok, The big buy was Helder Costa, who probably wasn't a roaring success but they turned a profit on him when they flogged him to Leeds. Cavaleiro also turned out as good business. Don't forget though at the time Forestieri was quite 'saleable' (hence why Villa tried to sign him), Bannan was also worth a decent sum, and a few others in our 15/16 squad would have been desired by other clubs.

You're right that they were clever in getting a number of quality players in on loan rather than paying up front for them in that this de-risked the plan quite a bit, however it seems to me that what they did was look at the blueprint we set out in getting to two successive play-offs and essentially improved on it. They brought in a bunch of high profile signings, several who were arguably too good for the champo, with the promise of PL football and big wages the season after if they went up. Brilliant in a way and certainly a smarter approach than what we followed, however doesn't really follow the spirit of FFP that the rules were originally created for.

Very bitter-sounding OP and a few cheap shots at Wolves’ success in there too.

Let’s not forget that Chansiri tried to cheat the P&S rules and couldn’t even do that right.

Stadium sold, our reputation in the gutter, first points deduction in our history, squad in the worst shape it’s been in years and a one way ticket to League One next year.

I don’t think we can take the moral high ground here.

• Like 3

I don't buy the argument that teams buy their way up to the premier League. 

Getting out of this league to the promised land is about exceptional management in my view and that managers ability to get the best out of the players. 

Bielsa has done it this year, Parker has done it and Bilic has done it. Wilder did it last year. 

If it was just about gambling by spending a fortune there's plenty of teams still in this division who shouldnt be. 

Carlos was fantastic in that first season and I genuinely think we were on to something with Bruce but other than that we haven't come close to getting that bit right and that's the bit that matters most in my view 

• Thanks 1

Guest Mcguigan
12 hours ago, Marc_Degryse said:

I agree with elements of what you say, however there are a few key points to note.

Firstly the transfer business in the first season Fosun took over was ok, The big buy was Helder Costa, who probably wasn't a roaring success but they turned a profit on him when they flogged him to Leeds. Cavaleiro also turned out as good business. Don't forget though at the time Forestieri was quite 'saleable' (hence why Villa tried to sign him), Bannan was also worth a decent sum, and a few others in our 15/16 squad would have been desired by other clubs.

You're right that they were clever in getting a number of quality players in on loan rather than paying up front for them in that this de-risked the plan quite a bit, however it seems to me that what they did was look at the blueprint we set out in getting to two successive play-offs and essentially improved on it. They brought in a bunch of high profile signings, several who were arguably too good for the champo, with the promise of PL football and big wages the season after if they went up. Brilliant in a way and certainly a smarter approach than what we followed, however doesn't really follow the spirit of FFP that the rules were originally created for.

Factoring in £3m per season for allowable losses within the three year period, which includes promotion.

15/16 £7.5m profit + £3m allowance £10.5m profit

16/17 £20.8m loss - £3m allowance £17.8m loss

17/18 £55m loss - £3m allowance £52m loss

Total losses for this rolling 3 year accounting period £59.3m, well over the £39m allowance.

But, around £20m of the £55m losses in season 17/18 were attributable to promotion related bonus's and transfer add on's. So had they not been promoted they'd have probably just stayed within P&S limits but more importantly, should the need arise, they'd be sat on around £50m+ of players they could sell to bring them back in line should the EFL advise so.

Hardly cheating the rules or not following the spirit of them(whatever that is), more so being very clever and astute with their overall plan to gain promotion.

Same with Leeds this season, with large promotional bonuses they'll have broken P&S but they've gone up. Had they not have, Phillips, Bamford and or two others would have been sold to balance the books.

1 hour ago, poite said:

Bielsa has done it this year, Parker has done it and Bilic has done it. Wilder did it last year. 

Carlos was fantastic in that first season and I genuinely think we were on to something with Bruce but other than that we haven't come close to getting that bit right and that's the bit that matters most in my view 

Correct, it's all about the manager.

• Thanks 1