Potential wage cap being proposed?

9 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Probably already been answered but what happens if a club is already paying wages that are more than the salary cap? Do they have to get rid of the players on high wages etc? Easier said than done. 

For the purpose of the calculation their wage we be counted as £13,750 (It was 13 something) even if it was £100k.

Edited by briggowl

Just seen some of Sunderlands figures from 2018-2019

Sunderland have been scrweed by the wage cap!

Yes they have a wage bill from 2018 -2019 of £26.7 million

But this was only 45% of  income. 

How are they going to get the wage bill down that much!

7 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Simply put they don't have to just yet.

But won't be able to sign any new players or re-sign any current players on wages above the divisional average until they do

11 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

I think for 19/20 it will be much less than that. Cattermole and various others left. 

But still a huge jump down to 2.5m. It’s about 2.5k a week per player for a squad of 20.

Edited by Bluesteel

If every league did one it would be an excellent addition. However just league one/two is surely just going to extend the gap between league one and champ. Now an absolute necessity we stay up now in order to survive and be succesful. 

Also those that absolutely hate chansiri will want to avoid it as surely the bigger league one teams who make more than average gate receipts that won't be spent on wages will get more money go back to chairmen

43 minutes ago, S26 Owl said:

If every league did one it would be an excellent addition. However just league one/two is surely just going to extend the gap between league one and champ. Now an absolute necessity we stay up now in order to survive and be succesful. 

Also those that absolutely hate chansiri will want to avoid it as surely the bigger league one teams who make more than average gate receipts that won't be spent on wages will get more money go back to chairmen

I understand this also means that the clubs in the National League can spend more than those in L1/L2. Bizarre.

Guest Grez Bez
4 minutes ago, j17tjp said:

if L1 & L2 do a salary cap, then I can see prem / champ teams poaching academy players with lure of money 

They do that anyway

I suspect legally it is unenforceable but PFA and in particular Gordon Taylor are a disgrace. I think he is a pretty vile individual tbh and has done nothing but line his own pockets for decades. He is a morally bankrupt individual.