Potential wage cap being proposed?

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

When will the thicko's at the EFL realise that relegated clubs starting every season with a £45m head start on everyone else is the reason why other clubs come up with crackpot schemes like selling their stadiums, sponsorship from Shell companies, paying wages they cannot afford and cripple themselves with debt. They do it to try and compete. 

The EFL make me sick. The couldn't run a p155 up in a brewery. 

Parry has realised

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/05/efl-chief-parachute-payments-evil-eradicated-football

But not all clubs agree and the PL holds most of the financial cards

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/qpr-chief-executive-lee-hoos-defends-parachute-payments-championship-playoff-final-premier-league-a9653006.html

It's a right mess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Seems redundant posting this having read replies so far but until parachute payments are stopped, or ffp is brought into line with them nothing will work. Level the playing field and let us compete. 

I wouldn't hold out much hope of that given that the current Chief Exec of the EFL is largely responsible for the crazy disparity in the first place!

Two things spring to mind.

Firstly the remit of this salary cap (and FFP/P&S) is not to create a level playing field, but to try to help clubs to run sustainably and prevent them going bust.

Secondly, cubs are chasing the Prem dream, which wouldn't be quite as attractive if they faced coming down without a parachute. As such, they're not likely to vote against parachute payments, which will maintain the F'd up state of Championship finances and give a massive unfair advantage to some teams.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm pleased to see they're at least trying to address it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OriginalAlien said:

Two things spring to mind.

Firstly the remit of this salary cap (and FFP/P&S) is not to create a level playing field, but to try to help clubs to run sustainably and prevent them going bust.

Secondly, cubs are chasing the Prem dream, which wouldn't be quite as attractive if they faced coming down without a parachute. As such, they're not likely to vote against parachute payments, which will maintain the F'd up state of Championship finances and give a massive unfair advantage to some teams.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm pleased to see they're at least trying to address it.

They aren't trying to address it at all though. They are just trying to make it look like they are addressing it whilst weighting it even more in favour of clubs who are receiving parachute payments in the first place.

If most fans are like you and believe this is for the good of the game then we are all totally screwed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

They aren't trying to address it at all though. They are just trying to make it look like they are addressing it whilst weighting it even more in favour of clubs who are receiving parachute payments in the first place.

If most fans are like you and believe this is for the good of the game then we are all totally screwed.

You could well be right mate, in fact the phrase 'trying to address it' was poorly used. I suppose what I'm thinking is that I'm glad topics like this are being raised and I hope something can be done to make us all feel like we have a realistic chance of competing with relegated clubs. 

I think a salary cap and the parachute payment disparity are two separate issues that need urgent attention. Don't think the EFL have any authority over what the EPL choose to pay clubs that have failed in their league.

I hate it, but I know if we made it up and got relegated again, I'd want the parachute payments... But we all know that'd be the season they're scrapped.

1 minute ago, OriginalAlien said:

You could well be right mate, in fact the phrase 'trying to address it' was poorly used. I suppose what I'm thinking is that I'm glad topics like this are being raised and I hope something can be done to make us all feel like we have a realistic chance of competing with relegated clubs. 

I think a salary cap and the parachute payment disparity are two separate issues that need urgent attention. Don't think the EFL have any authority over what the EPL choose to pay clubs that have failed in their league.

I hate it, but I know if we made it up and got relegated again, I'd want the parachute payments... But we all know that'd be the season they're scrapped.

It's the Wednesday way!

If applying a salary cap, has to be fair and applicable to all. There should be no dispensation for relegated clubs, I'm sorry but there should be consequences to relegation, not an automatic and overwhelming advantage.

If the penalty for overspend is financial, as per the tariff mentioned, they have plenty of money from EPL to pay the fine should they choose to keep contracted players, exceeding the cap. If they cant move players on, then that's exactly the reason for failure payments, to compensate for relegation costs. 

Also, my other thought is why £18m, why not round up to £20m?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Payments due in 2020-21 season

Huddersfield £35M

Cardiff £35M

Stoke £15.5M

Swansea £15.5M

And Bournemouth, Norwich, Watford £43M each.

Add to that player sales like the £41m Bournemouth got for Nathan Ake. 

Hard to believe in 2008/09 Bournemouth started on -17 in League Two. We need an Eddie Howe and a chairman who gets it 

8 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Payments due in 2020-21 season

Huddersfield £35M

Cardiff £35M

Stoke £15.5M

Swansea £15.5M

And Bournemouth, Norwich, Watford £43M each.

And that's for being relegated. You can see why we went crazy now money wise trying to get there.

Forgetting parachute payments it's a bad idea with good intentions.

For example compare two championship clubs with parachute payments:

Preston in year to 30 June 2019 had turnover of £13m, Leads had turnover of £48m in same year.

Why should they both have same salary cap of £18m?

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl

31 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Forgetting parachute payments it's a bad idea with good intentions.

For example compare two championship clubs with parachute payments:

Preston in year to 30 June 2019 had turnover of £13m, Leads had turnover of £48m in same year.

Why should they both have same salary cap of £18m?

It’s a sport. Bolt won the 100metres last year - he doesn’t get to start half way down the track in the next race. 

currently it’s a business competition with the main aim to extract as much money from the fans as possible to pass to the players. 

it sucks. 

10 minutes ago, djorkaeff said:

It’s a sport. Bolt won the 100metres last year - he doesn’t get to start half way down the track in the next race. 

currently it’s a business competition with the main aim to extract as much money from the fans as possible to pass to the players. 

it sucks. 

Been that way since 90s 

Should be 1 change to the proposals that the salary amount should not exceed turnover

I like the idea of the punishment being financial, as the crime is financial. 

The EFL have proved the laws of accounting are sufficiently clear to allow governance of the problem. 

50% tax on over spend shared equally amongst other clubs should be a sufficient punishment for the offender and compensation for the victim of this financial debacle that is the EFL Championship

Limits on squad size as well: Which SWFC squad was more successful?

IMG_20170913_194417.jpg

IMG_20160830_234003.jpg

1 hour ago, crookesowl said:

Add to that player sales like the £41m Bournemouth got for Nathan Ake. 

Hard to believe in 2008/09 Bournemouth started on -17 in League Two. We need an Eddie Howe and a chairman who gets it 

That will go half way to paying their current transfer debt of £80 million. 

9 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Sounds sensible. Too many clubs are running up massive debts just to compete.

On the relegated clubs exception - I don't mind a transition period of 2 or 3 years, as clubs would need a while to adjust to the new rules, but after that they would have no excuse. Players would start having massive relegation wage reduction clauses put in as standard and it would ultimately hasten the demise, or at least reduce, parachute payments.

I'm not fully up on all the rules, but as far as parachute payments go - is there much the EFL can do about this... isn't it the Premier League that pay these out?

The EFL can't stop the Premier league from paying the parachute payments but can set their rules to exclude them from P&S, Making clubs park the money until they get back in to the Premier league.

The reason why Championship clubs won't vote to stop failure payments is that the majority of them (including us) are hoping to go up at some point but also expecting to get relegated if they do and therefore will want them if it happens.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

The EFL still don't get it do they? STILL making exceptions for clubs relegated from the Prem. Until the EFL get their head out of the premier league's arse and refuse to allow failure payments, then there will never be financial  fair play  in the championship. 

This. Until it is all run by one governing body and the finance spread more evenly there will never be FFP. 

Forget a salary cap it wont work. Just write it into all players contracts that your wages reduce as a result of relegation by 60%.

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This. Until it is all run by one governing body and the finance spread more evenly there will never be FFP. 

Forget a salary cap it wont work. Just write it into all players contracts that your wages reduce as a result of relegation by 60%.

That has a basic flaw in that the player would then demand an increased promotion payrise of 60% more than what is currently offered should they get to the Premier League

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

That has a basic flaw in that the player would then demand an increased promotion payrise of 60% more than what is currently offered should they get to the Premier League

lol

That would be discretionary at each club tho. The relegation one would be compulsory. So as an example Sancho signs for Man U its automatically written in that should man u get relegated he'd get 40 percent of his wages for the remainder of his contract.