Sean Clare

On 06/08/2020 at 19:15, Bluesteel said:

There was a story at the time where he was off to Villa until Tony Coton moved to Sunderland and it broke down. Not sure how true it was. But the main issue again was that like Hirst we did what the EFL promote ie develop some good young players and they end up leaving for next to nothing for various reasons once someone is potentially in the ear. That might be unfair in this case. 

In this case, the perceived interest in the press was  hype and no one else could afford the compensation hence moving north of the border where it didn’t apply in the same manner. It’s not as if these players wouldn’t have had a chance to play championship football at that time as they clearly would have and for a big club. So yeah it’s frustrating in that sense even if the player in question is no world beater as the club has had a lot of criticism on finance and recruitment but two solid u23 products left.

We turned down money for George Hirst when it was quite clear he wasn’t going to sign a contract with us. Don’t think the club can feel hard done by in his case. Just poor business.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We turned down money for George Hirst when it was quite clear he wasn’t going to sign a contract with us. Don’t think the club can feel hard done by in his case. Just poor business.

We turned down money partly because we wanted to try and convince him otherwise and also we thought he was worth more via tribunal when you take into account the sell on elements of that process. Had we been paid for him or had he stayed here long enough to earn a bigger money deal then it wouldn’t be as much of an issue. Hirst shouldn’t have been able to leave for 100k or whatever it was engineered to be. Leicester couldve signed him and paid then. The club were shafted and even our own supporters are re writing history on it now. 

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 5

Guest timrud

Totally agreed. If we realised we were going to get scumbagged, we would've accepted the first offer.

But that doesn't suit the anti DC narrative of the hirst propoganda machine.

On 08/08/2020 at 10:35, SallyCinnamon said:

Why was it clear he was not going to sign a contract?

and what money did we turn down? 

On 08/08/2020 at 13:24, timrud said:

Totally agreed. If we realised we were going to get scumbagged, we would've accepted the first offer.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, he's businessed the hell out of all us in Hirst's machine of propaganda these last five years.

Fortunately for us though he's got more money than sense and continues to pump his money in despite his obvious lack of any abilities whatsoever.

15 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Why was it clear he was not going to sign a contract?

and what money did we turn down? 

Leicester bid 2m we rejected it. The Hirst family and his agent made it clear he wasn’t going to stay at Wednesday. Should have cashed in then rather than losing him for nowt.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Leicester bid 2m we rejected it. The Hirst family and his agent made it clear he wasn’t going to stay at Wednesday. Should have cashed in then rather than losing him for nowt.

They made it clear before we turned the money down did they? Got any proof of that? Did they say sell the player otherwise we are going to use loopholes to send the player of to the Belgian 2nd division for a year to diddle you out of any income? I doubt it.

Chansiri has made plenty of mistakes but some people just want to string him up for everything. It isn't as black and white as that and in this instance the move was certainly underhand. 

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Under the usual rules he wouldn’t walk for nowt due to compensation that would be due as soon as we offered him improved terms.

18 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Under the usual rules he wouldn’t walk for nowt due to compensation that would be due as soon as we offered him improved terms.

True but freezing the lad out and costing him a year of his football development by not giving him any game time probably left a sour taste in his and his Dad’s mouth.

On 08/08/2020 at 12:24, timrud said:

Lets face it. Theres plenty of other ammo for anti DC

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

True but freezing the lad out and costing him a year of his football development by not giving him any game time probably left a sour taste in his and his Dad’s mouth.

I think freezing him out was bad on our part and the main lack of business sense as had he played in the first team under Jos and featured more for England youth his compo would’ve increased. 

But regardless of that, given the money Leicester have and the great history between the Hirsts and the club (not the owner) it was completely uncalled for. They could’ve moved directly to Leicester and still got their way/won.

Bridge transfers are against FIFA rules too so when Hirst didn’t pull up any trees abroad and moved to Leicester anyway that was a red flag and I wouldn’t be surprised if there has been behind the scenes correspondence on this. I saw we had a friendly booked in pre covid and they usually cost a few quid so that could be something to do with it.

No opinion on Claire but Oxford aren't a bad club. They've got some decent players, Robinson has them playing well even if they were a bit predictable in the Play Off Final. I didn't see him play for us but providing his attitude is alright then it could be a decent move for him.

Guest T Hardy
On 06/08/2020 at 19:00, Ellis Rimmer said:

Ok well I'll bookmark the thread and we will see who is right in 12 months time

Looking like Clare and Winnall might have the last laugh after all mate..

Guest T Hardy
2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don’t even remember what I said but sounds like a low blow to me and I’m not reading it lol 

Not a low blow at all, I just wanted to see if anyone had discussed Clare/Winnall going to Oxford before 

27 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Looking like Clare and Winnall might have the last laugh after all mate..

Great second half of the season for Oxford - much improved since they let Sean Clare go out on loan. 

Clare meanwhile has helped Burton to the dizzy heights of 16th this season. If Oxford were to get promoted via the play-offs I'm not sure Clare is part of their plans based on this season.