Sean Clare

6 hours ago, Grandad said:

I don't really understand the desperation for him to fail

Same with George Hirst

You're like sad jilted lovers. Quite sad from (supposedly) grown men

I get this, I do.   I still find myself thinking - you did the dirty a little on us.   It's not that I don't get someone having ambition but the result of his ambition and arrogance has currently amounted to the grand sum of nowt.    

It's hard to imagine he wouldn't have done better staying - although we are talking about Wednesday - but he'd surely have got some time under Jos and not have been shunted to right back where he took an age to settle in.

I don't wish him ill at all, but I equally can't wish him the best.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carbone said:

We'll see, but signing for Oxford right now really isn't something to be laughed at when you look at where they're going, especially compared to us right now

Ok well I'll bookmark the thread and we will see who is right in 12 months time

There was a story at the time where he was off to Villa until Tony Coton moved to Sunderland and it broke down. Not sure how true it was. But the main issue again was that like Hirst we did what the EFL promote ie develop some good young players and they end up leaving for next to nothing for various reasons once someone is potentially in the ear. That might be unfair in this case. 

In this case, the perceived interest in the press was  hype and no one else could afford the compensation hence moving north of the border where it didn’t apply in the same manner. It’s not as if these players wouldn’t have had a chance to play championship football at that time as they clearly would have and for a big club. So yeah it’s frustrating in that sense even if the player in question is no world beater as the club has had a lot of criticism on finance and recruitment but two solid u23 products left.

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

It’s a player that has been out on loan his whole career and made 5 total appearances (and that’s including substitute appearances) in 3 years at the club. Bobby Burns is a nice young laddie but he wouldn’t have even got a sniff for us in the Scottish Second Tier. Not good enough that’s why he is going. 

^^^^ This is spot on. Due to the sparse population of the country there is a mixture of levels of club going from English Championship equivalent downwards. However I’d even go as far as to say that the likes of Hamilton and Ross County would probably struggle in the English League 2. Another big problem is people not supporting their local team and the buses full of fans from the smaller towns that travel to Glasgow every second week depriving those smaller clubs of revenue. 

I support both Hearts and Wednesday, I’ve been going to games at both clubs since the 80s. Owlinexile is right and I’m afraid to say that the facilities in particular the Training setup and Academy at Hearts are superior to what we have at Hillsborough.

Hickey will be a big loss for Hearts but I hope and I’m sure he will go on to have a great career. Clare improved a lot after a terrible start at the club, but Hearts will be happy to have him off the wage bill. He was on a sizeable amount of money (paid for in part by a local billionaire benefactor that supports the club) and he hasn’t been a big success. To be fair to Clare he was showing signs of becoming decent and turning it round once he switched to full back but he has still has not been worth the outlay. The club will be able to sign a couple of players with the savings on Clare’s wages and they’ve recouped a fee too so that’s why they’ll be happy to move him on. Good luck to him.

Makes you wonder how Hearts managed to get themselves relegated taking into account the excellent set up & facilities and the standard of the opposition.

10 hours ago, room0035 said:

Will be interest to see how much Oxford pay for him and how long before he ends up in the championship or higher. by all accounts has done well in Scotland but need to be playing at a higher level to show if he is good enough.

Whose accounts are they? 

Don't think Hearts were planning on being a relegated side and it's not look he was head and shoulders above the rest of their team in terms of his own performance.

9 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

To be honest he could be swapping divisions with us next season so I wouldn’t call it a poor move for the lad.

He left a Championship club for the 3rd biggest team in Scotland, got relegated with them and has now signed for a 3rd division club, doubt that was the career trajectory he was aiming for when he snubbed us.

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Because I want my prediction to be correct, I don't wanna look silly in 12 months time

If he goes on to win the Premier League in a few years time I'll have to remember to bring this thread back to life in 9 years time! :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He left a Championship club for the 3rd biggest team in Scotland, got relegated with them and has now signed for a 3rd division club, doubt that was the career trajectory he was aiming for when he snubbed us.

I think he was probably looking for game time, which he has managed to get. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think he was probably looking for game time, which he has managed to get. 

He was getting game time with us at the time and would probably have got plenty more too.

47 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Makes you wonder how Hearts managed to get themselves relegated taking into account the excellent set up & facilities and the standard of the opposition.

I agree it was a disgrace considering our budget, setup and the competition. The 3rd highest spend in the league, wage bill probably 4 or 5 times some of the smaller clubs, it was completely unacceptable that Hearts were in that position. 

One thing I will say though is that we were demoted not relegated. The season didn’t finish, we were expelled after a vote following a sham process, that is not relegation. If we had finished bottom after completing all the fixtures I’d have no arguments that would have been a relegation.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I agree it was a disgrace considering our budget, setup and the competition. The 3rd highest spend in the league, wage bill probably 4 or 5 times some of the smaller clubs, it was completely unacceptable that Hearts were in that position. 

One thing I will say though is that we were demoted not relegated. The season didn’t finish, we were expelled after a vote following a sham process, that is not relegation. If we had finished bottom after completing all the fixtures I’d have no arguments that would have been a relegation.

Fair enough mate. I agree with you on the relegation as well. Think its a sham for the SPL and League One in England to have taken decisions to apply titles/promotion/relegation on an unfinished season. Teams signed players in January to improve in the closing stages of the season. The Champions League places and relegation in the PL and the Championship would have looked a lot different if they had taken the same decision. 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Well all you haters can just shut up and eat humble pie because as you can see from his unveiling photo on the Oxford United site, Sean is beyond ecstatic to have made the move 

So suck it up

lol

To be honest, i think that given the right coach, a loss of the ego of youth and more professionalism, then he could do well.
It's his almost entitled attitude that ruins it for him.

Get a coach that'll keep him grounded and knock the chip off his shoulder and he'll do well.

On 06/08/2020 at 21:39, edinburghowl said:

lots of parallels in that statement .. spend and facilities doesn’t guarantee success .. footballs not an easy game is it ..

• Like 1

On 06/08/2020 at 20:53, hirstyboywonder said:

Does seem odd, thought he is better than lg3

Guest Grez Bez

I've never met him and he could be s great guy but...

he just looks like he'd be a first class Peniis End to me