Martin Samual on Rick Parry, EFL & Us!

Fulham pay Mitrovic alone 80k a week but we are the ones cheating for spending in 2018 and being embargoed/managed through each summer since 🤫

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Haha 1
Just now, Bluesteel said:

Fulham pay Mitrovic alone 80k a week but we are the ones cheating for spending in 2018 and being embargoed since 🤫

While the relegatwd clubs get £45M for failure

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

Can't stand the arsehole but he's right in this case

Martin Samuel is the best sports journalist in the country imho. His work concerning FFP etc in the very early days (near 10 years ago) basically predicted the absolute clusterf*ck the game has become and he has been a staunch critic from day one. I would urge you to read some of his past columns, very reasoned and informative views despite the fact he’s a correspondent for the Daily Heil.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Martin Samuel is the best sports journalist in the country imho. His work concerning FFP etc in the very early days (near 10 years ago) basically predicted the absolute clusterf*ck the game has become and he has been a staunch critic from day one. I would urge you to read some of his past columns, very reasoned and informative views despite the fact he’s a correspondent for the Daily Heil.

Not a patch on Henry Winter.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, damianb1 said:

Not a patch on Henry Winter.

Each to their own, I can appreciate everyone’s opinion, no matter how wrong they are 😉

I bdon't care who is the best sports writer, That article nails if for me. Football as we knew it, is fast disappearing in the rear view mirror. 

I don't know what the answer is or even if there is one but the current regime is rotten to the core. The clubs will never unanimously agree what the regulations should be. Rich clubs want to be allowed to spend, poorer clubs want spending limits as low as possible.

They will all vote in their own interests, I know I would.

Should there be a governing body NOT controlled by the clubs, one which  sets the rules on the basis of what is best for the game? Probably but it won't happen in my lifetime.

• Like 4

He’s spot on, the whole situation is a shambles. How it will get resolved, I’ve no idea.

Money has always been an important factor, but it’s becoming increasingly the most important one.  Fine after t he says where a team could be promoted then finish third the following season. The dream is to get to the Premier League, but for what, parking the bus every week, taking frequent batterings and hoping to finish 17th.

The saddest thing is I can’t see any solution to make it a reasonable fight, never mind a fair one.

The occasional joy of seeing us win on a Saturday will always keep me wanting to go back, but beyond that, the game gets less and less enjoyable as time goes on.

• Like 3

What happened to the most important thing of 11 v 11 trying to win a game of footy? 
Now it just seems it’s all about men in suits talking money, not giving a poo/not knowing poo all about the game itself.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Showing your age there....................how about Tony Hardisty?

Yep remember him as well and Tony Pritchard who always wound me up with his little digs about Wednesday.

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Yep remember him as well and Tony Pritchard who always wound me up with his little digs about Wednesday.

yep, TP said too much about what he was listening to on the away coaches and was chucked off.

he then defected to the pigs.

John (?) Piper had the perfect answer for Toytown, he made his own way to the away games thereby not feeling guilty if he ever slagged 'em off.

Just now, OhForAnotherShez said:

yep, TP said too much about what he was listening to on the away coaches and was chucked off.

he then defected to the pigs.

John (?) Piper had the perfect answer for Toytown, he made his own way to the away games thereby not feeling guilty if he ever slagged 'em off.

Never knew that about TP hope he was literally chucked off lol.

John Pipe was decent reporter must have reported on them for years. 

To be fair The Star and other local papers have had decent football reporters.

When the Guardian had the great David Lacey and Patrick Barclay as understudy... Those were the days. 

But MS is a fine writer, for sure. 

Sadly football isn't broken, on the criteria used by those running it. Ruined former big clubs who will never be big again, like us. Yoyo clubs like Watford. The Bournemouths who made the top flight and who may reappear or vanish like Bradford. The never quite there clubs like Derby and Forest. None of us matter. The revenue gets generated by the small group of global brands who need a league to support them. But whether it's Fulham or Norwich really makes no difference. 

The dream one day is to be part of that supporting cast so as to realise that most noble of sporting visions, securing a revenue stream (for a while). 

How tiresome it all is. 

Much more fun watching Buxton. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

FFP was never designed to help keep clubs from over spending and going bust it was designed to keep the competition away from the bigger clubs in Europe. Its corrupt and does the complete opposite to keeping the competition fair for anyone its financial unfair play

• Like 5