Ground location.

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

It was the originally built by the The Sheffield, Ashton under Lyne and Manchester Railway with a station at Bridgehouses. This became the  Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway in 1847 and the new Victoria station and Wicker viaduct was finished in 1851.

It's only occasionally used for freight traffic to and from the steelworks at Stocksbridge.

The station would need rebuilding but there could be scope for wider use if it is

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Line has never shut

I know..but the once daily aldwarke to stocksbridge steel train wud be no good for away fans..so it wud need a rail company to supply a train and rebuild the station..like i said😏

This needs sorting out. OP,  get these "pals and workmates" to join Owlstalk and then we can have a proper debate.

If I go to a London away game I get on a train then the tube. How hard can it be for these people to get off the train and walk to the back of the station to catch a tram to Hillsborough? Takes 20 minutes.

If they really want a beer in town they can make their way from the station to  the cathedral, west street or Kelham island visiting any number of pubs before getting on a tram to Hillsborough.

• Like 1

Lots of nostalgic folk on here who would like us to return to our roots. 

Chansiri likes buying football grounds.

Of grounds where we have played home games, Olive Grove no longer being available, only one choice left: Bramall Lane.

After deep cleansing teams have done their bit, only one problem left: which year's accounts to record the purchase?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 05/08/2020 at 20:04, HIGHERSTATE said:

I had a flat just off Sharrow Lane (I called it Netheredge) and I loved it there....You just had to avoid London Road on match days.  

You're right though some of the areas round and at the top of Eccy Road are gorgeous.  I bet more people from those areas (Including Dore/Whirlow/Bradway) are more interested now they are in the Premiership.

I always think of Heely, Manor and Gleadless as the Blades stronghold areas.

Both teams tend to isolate the worst areas closest to the respective grounds as each other's strongholds. As you say, the Manor and Gleadless Valley for them, where as they will say Parsons Cross and Ecclesfield for us.

In reality we both have a fair mix of support in wealthy and shitty areas, but in general the South East of the City is a bit worse off, and that is mainly red & white. 

21 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Not even suggesting that we move but if we had to I would put forward the common land with covenant surrounded by  Worthing Road, Woodbourne Road and Rippon Street. The Cricket club looked to acquire it but we were told it was part of the 'Attercliffe Plan', that was nine years ago. Today the land still lies fallow. 

I’ve said for years that’s the best location if we were to ever move out of S6, close to the centre, tram network and parkway. There’s plans for housing, Attercliffe Waterfront apparently, but like you say it doesn’t seem to be moving forward. 

On 06/08/2020 at 08:33, Moody said:

When I lived in Sheffield I lived near to Bramall Lane.

I liked how you had to travel to like a little outlaying village to go watch Sheffield Wednesday. 

I think the different locations of the two Sheffield clubs give them their unique identities. In fact, it felt a bit like London in that respect, ie Millwall and Crystal Palace are only 5/6 miles apart, but The Den is near the Thames and Bermondsey and New Cross are very much inner-City neighbourhoods, whereas Selhurst is very much suburban south London.

It's ridiculously easy and quick to get to Hillsborough, 10 mins from West Street on the tram. I live near Bramall Lane and always have done (S2 and S11) and there's plenty of Wednesdayites in both.

Wednesday and United's identity is very much the same - working class formed in a city of industry, there is no unique identity and if you think there is then you're sorely mistaken. Walk into the steelworks and it'll be Owl working next to a Blade, we live next door to eachother, drink at the same pubs (occasionally), it's not unusual to be an Owl on the Manor or a Pig on Parson Cross. Even tho Wednesday is in a suburb it's never made a difference, the only people who think it does are, believe it or not, Ushited 😂

Difference between Millwall and CP is that they're distinctly territorial whereas Wednesday and United have the same sort of fan base given that the supporters are based in all the same areas, different to MFC v CPFC.

The history of Wednesday is very partisan, you may find it interesting

If the stadium was moved it would be nearer to a motorway with ample car parking space available. This is to maximise income and so any money spent by fans on food and drink would come from outlets in and adjacent to ground so the club would benefit from all sales.

I would say Wednesday stadium is about average (I know Sheffield and suppose that makes a difference) with regards difficulty to get to. I have been on some right route marches over the years.

On 06/08/2020 at 03:28, Utah Owl said:

Arsenal 2.2 miles

Brentford 9.4 miles

Charlton 9.4 miles

Chelsea 5.3 miles

Fulham 7.9 miles

Millwall 6.0 miles

Orient 6.7 miles

Palace 11.3 miles

QPR 5.3 miles

Spurs 6.5 miles

West Ham 6.1 miles

Wimbledon 14.4 miles

All distances according to GOOGLE maps

Excellent research, thank you for taking the time to do it. If I had one criticism, though, it would be that you have given the same distance for both train stations. If you get chance, could you update? Thanks. 

My favourite ever journey to Hillsborough (I live just outside Leeds), was 2 of us on a bus to Menston, train to Leeds, train to Sheffield (beers for both trains, arrived 10am ish), picked up at the station from a bloke from another forum (can't remember why) who drove us to a very random wmc (no idea where) while smoking cannabis, from there it got hazy due to loads of beer, and I have no real idea how we got to the ground, who the game was against, or the score. I do remember we lost my mate's mate (not sure when he turned up) on the journey home, when the train stopped in Barnsley and he nipped off to get a can from a vending machine, which he was still arguing with about lack of change as our train pulled steadily out of the station. 

The majority of that would have been lost if we had a city centre ground.