Ground location.

Guest The Claw
3 minutes ago, Moody said:

When I lived in Sheffield I lived near to Bramall Lane.

I liked how you had to travel to like a little outlaying village to go watch Sheffield Wednesday. 

I think the different locations of the two Sheffield clubs give them their unique identities. In fact, it felt a bit like London in that respect, ie Millwall and Crystal Palace are only 5/6 miles apart, but The Den is near the Thames and Bermondsey and New Cross are very much inner-City neighbourhoods, whereas Selhurst is very much suburban south London.

Palace, palace, who the fu.c.k is palace

10 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Just a short jaunt to La Chambre... good shout

10 hours ago, HarryPlopper said:

A few years ago I had to have it explained to me what that place was about!   

I felt so naive.  

Its spelled 'Soo Na Eve'... lovely Korean women but we've all been there so its nowt to brag about.

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Quick question - where are THEIR grounds and how far is it from Kings Cross/St Pancras?

Think the nearest to St P's is Arsenal 2.5 miles. Spurs is 6.5 miles QPR 5.3 miles. Hillsborough is 3.6 and Blunthole lane .09 from Sheffield Station.

Not sure how much DTaxis charge from town to Hillsborough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, RevOwl said:

I live and work in central London and one thing that's often said to me by pals and workmates during our football conversations is about Hillsborough being too far out of the way when away fans arrive in the city. How they want to have a drink in the town then make the short walk to the ground. They always say that our streaky rivals ground is easy to walk or stagger to but Hillsborough is too far out of the way. They talk about having to get cabs, trams etc. I've even been asked if Hillsborough is actually Sheffield or on the outskirts. This got me thinking about if we was to relocate and how people would feel about a brand new stadium more central to the city and would this generate an even bigger fan base. A new stadium more central to existing and new fans alike that's easier for both home and away fans to get to. 

Interesting stuff, but you've basically made all that up to justify moving. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Or where the Ski Village is?

That's closer to the train station and the land's pretty much derelict there

Can't see our players fancying playing up the slope in the second half. 

Not even suggesting that we move but if we had to I would put forward the common land with covenant surrounded by  Worthing Road, Woodbourne Road and Rippon Street. The Cricket club looked to acquire it but we were told it was part of the 'Attercliffe Plan', that was nine years ago. Today the land still lies fallow. 

16 hours ago, RevOwl said:

I live and work in central London and one thing that's often said to me by pals and workmates during our football conversations is about Hillsborough being too far out of the way when away fans arrive in the city. How they want to have a drink in the town then make the short walk to the ground. They always say that our streaky rivals ground is easy to walk or stagger to but Hillsborough is too far out of the way. They talk about having to get cabs, trams etc. I've even been asked if Hillsborough is actually Sheffield or on the outskirts. This got me thinking about if we was to relocate and how people would feel about a brand new stadium more central to the city and would this generate an even bigger fan base. A new stadium more central to existing and new fans alike that's easier for both home and away fans to get to. 

That’s another way to start a moving ground thread. 

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This should be reopened would be ideal for away fans 

Can see the rail companies quein up to re open a line for a few hundred people about 20 times  a year 🤓

Guest The Claw
7 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Can see the rail companies quein up to re open a line for a few hundred people about 20 times  a year 🤓

7 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Think it used to be the main line between Sheffield and Manchester 

27 minutes ago, The Claw said:

Think it used to be the main line between Sheffield and Manchester 

It was the originally built by the The Sheffield, Ashton under Lyne and Manchester Railway with a station at Bridgehouses. This became the  Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway in 1847 and the new Victoria station and Wicker viaduct was finished in 1851.

6 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Line has never shut

It's only occasionally used for freight traffic to and from the steelworks at Stocksbridge.

17 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

What's he got to do with it?

image.png.7ec20f0b958e1506ccc289c88ebd0a3d.png

I went to the two NFL games at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last autumn, and whilst the facility itself is tremendous, accessibility is woeful. It's like dropping a national arena into the middle of a densely populated residential area. Getting away from the place was horrendous and involved being in a huge crowd going almost nowhere for about half an hour as stewards and police tried to manage the flow of people, a walk of about a mile and then queuing for ages to get into the tube station. 

Bet it's still not as good as Hillsborough

Never mind the tram... What's all these roadworks from Shalesmoor to Kelham Island on the main A61?

imagine the meltdown on Penistone Road on match days when the new cycle lane is enforced. Allow yer 'sen an extra hour's journey time from the City Centre so that you can walk to Hillsborough because travelling by car will no doubt be very difficult on match days once we are all allowed back in the stadium.

18 hours ago, RevOwl said:

Tell em not to take any directions from pig fans because they'll tell em they need to catch train to Barnsley and Hillsborough is on South side of tarn. :tango: