Thoughts on the whole situation

The 'young, hungry' players bit will be banded around a lot.  The reality is we need players who are talented but also mentally tough as players.  It isnt easy playing for sheffield wednesday.  We arent Brentford or Fulham where you can tap the thing about and go for a punt down the river afterwards. we are more like WBA, Wolves, Leeds - big clubs where they will boo you at the drop of a hat and the fans still bleat on about glory days long past.  With us starting on -12 all that will be even harder next season.

We are lacking a top class experienced pro on the pitch as Loovens was back in the day, and even people like Steve Watson have been for us in the past.  First priority is to get that player in.   Then some real battlers who can play  - the lad from Bristol Rovers Clarke-Harris, Dickie from Oxford.  I am fine with us getting in a couple of young gambles from the prem but the pressure on them will be immense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peggyowl said:

And as for the Trust demanding a meeting with the Chairman.  I've read with interest their aims and objectives and I'm afraid and I'm sure its been said, unless you represent the whole fan base stop it just stop it.  You have no more right than the rest of us to meet the Chairman.    You have no influence and your view point, whilst interesting, is no more or better than others who would put different views forward.  Do charity stuff, support the Owls community don't try to interfere in the running of the club..

Many Wednesday fans have got a weird aversion to Wednesday fans having a say about the Club, about holding the Club that we all pay in to to some account and public scrutiny.    

And then they ******** and moan on internet forums and at the match and at the pub about how points deductions, transfer embargoes, ticket prices, price of shirts, 150 Year shambles, 15+ year season tickets, scouting setup, quality of academy output, transfer policty etc 

Wednesday fans own Wednesday no more than we own any other business, but we can scrutinise and if mobilised, can offer a larger voice about concerns within the running of the business.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peggyowl said:

I don't post regularly but watch the interesting views on OT with some amusement.   As with all fan bases we have our cup empty brigade no matter who is in charge, and our cup full brigade, but what people forget is everyone wears their blue and white glasses.   As it is a forum what the hell I thought Id give my wisdom. 

The Chairman 

Interesting guy and it would be interesting to know what his motivation was for buying a football club.  He has made mistakes we know that and he has had some interesting advice that we may not agree with.  The key for me is he is still willing to invest money in what could be a bottomless pit where in reality your not going to get money back.    All those calling for him to leave need to look at the Wigan situation and think hard about what could happen at least we have a chairman that appears to be wanting to do the right thing although at times misjudged with bad advice.  He doesn't need some UK football support not the person who is currently doing it as we all suspect who is looking after his own interests and not the club.

And as for the Trust demanding a meeting with the Chairman.  I've read with interest their aims and objectives and I'm afraid and I'm sure its been said, unless you represent the whole fan base stop it just stop it.  You have no more right than the rest of us to meet the Chairman.    You have no influence and your view point, whilst interesting, is no more or better than others who would put different views forward.  Do charity stuff, support the Owls community don't try to interfere in the running of the club..

The Manager and coaches

First he is a manager of experience, people say hes never won anything but  no matter what he was deemed good enough to be a prem manager not many English managers get that privilege so football people think he has something about him.  You need to take off the blue specs here and realise what was happening when he came in.  No matter what the early results and been 3rd at Christmas the squad wasn't that good and we were not anywhere near.   It was clear some players were not invested in the club and were only looking after number 1.  I also understand it was very much one of those player led squads where players thought they were above the manager and didn't like it when some authority started to be installed.   The typical not trying, playing poorly to get the manager sacked etc.  And don't be naive enough to think that doesn't happen.   The issues for me is why wasn't he or could he not bring in his own support staff.   For all I respect Bullen et al you have to ask and look at why we haven't progressed with these people as coaches.   Too familiar with players, not a progressive coaching style etc.   We need a complete clear out and new coaches to support the manager.   Allow him to really set his vision.

The Players and squad

Some people need to realise part of this recruitment is 2 fold lowering the age of the squad to allow a couple of seasons development and also lowering the wage bill significantly.  And apart from parachute payment clubs all clubs will be looking to do this.  Football is unsustainable in its current form and supports and players asking daft wages have to realise that.   Those that have left some were offered much reduced terms their choice or agents choice not to take it.   It will be interesting to see how many get the say salary (we won't ever know this) but I bet not many.   |Most will end up championship or below.   Yes we are in a tricky situation a much reduced squad unbalanced and not with players that would suit the managers style.   Supporters have said for a while,  no pace,   no commanding midfield, dead ball is awful and goal contribution though out the squad is shocking.    This needs to be addressed.   Now the names we hear banded about appear to be all young hungry players wanting to make a name for themselves.   Think about it come to owls, either you make a name and get a big money move or if it goes well you get in the Prem win win for young players that want to give there all.   Yes the young palyer will make mistakes but if the likes of top Prem clubs rate them then lets give them a chance . yes we have to have some experience but you look to Harris, Iorfa, Palmer, Luongo etc as that experience.  For me We need to cut our losses I would move on Reach, Bannan, Rhodes, Lee.   Clear out completely and start again.  It might initially be painful but we have needed that for more than a season.   

I've sure there will be some wit out there with their amazing humour that some show that will have a go at this view but I'm a realist and instead of being negative all the time and that must hard work for some of you I look for how we can and should improve.

A brilliant post mate, well done.

Don't worry about the clever dicks or the wind up merchants, they are in the minority and not worth the bother.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Personally, I would keep bannan, he works hard and is a quality player, although I would take him off corners. We only have a few who are worth persevering with, outside of the young lads, and for me that is bannan, iorfa, boerner and Harris. I'm yet to be convinced on luongo or wildsmith and Dawson.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

A brilliant post mate, well done.

Don't worry about the clever dicks or the wind up merchants, they are in the minority and not worth the bother.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Personally, I would keep bannan, he works hard and is a quality player, although I would take him off corners. We only have a few who are worth persevering with, outside of the young lads, and for me that is bannan, iorfa, boerner and Harris. I'm yet to be convinced on luongo or wildsmith and Dawson.

What are the bits you don't agree with?

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What are the bits you don't agree with?

I only disagree with letting bannan go and the trust. I would definitely keep bannan, and I think a trust will always do more good than not having one.

OP's comments on the chairman and manager are spot on, very well put.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

I only disagree with letting bannan go and the trust. I would definitely keep bannan, and I think a trust will always do more good than not having one.

OP's comments on the chairman and manager are spot on, very well put.

I think I agree with all your points both the first reply you made, and this one 👍

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, prowl said:

Just gobbing off a team mates isn't being a leader. Sometimes that is needed but putting an arm round a shoulder is more important particularly with young inexperienced players.

We need a general, someone with a loud voice, directing othet players, encouraging, bollocking, driving on when heads are dropping, someone leading by example. Lees isn't that player but neither is Bannan who comes across as a stroppy, entitled little get, quick to blame others for his mistakes. He's a good player, great on his day, captain, no.

I would have Bannan over Tom Lees but you're probably right we need a good leader.

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

I think the chairman's motivation for buying the club was to get us promoted and then he can say he own's a premier league club.

And at a guess, to make shiit loads of money.

Edited by Bulgaria

1 hour ago, Owl Be Back said:

I keep wanting to believe that all this is like that series of Dallas that was all a bad dream. lol

Or Lost where after 7 or 8 series they had all died and it had been a 7 year dream, or in our case a 5 year knightmare :duntmatter:

3 hours ago, scilly owl said:

I’m not sure that the chairman “ appears to want to do the right thing “....he’s landed us with a twelve point deduction by doing the wrong thing.

Yeah because he thought he was doing the right thing at the time.

Unfortunately he didn't have the hindsight you are now using.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manwë said:

Many Wednesday fans have got a weird aversion to Wednesday fans having a say about the Club, about holding the Club that we all pay in to to some account and public scrutiny.    

FOMO

This isn’t just exclusively a Wednesday fan thing though, it’s a societal thing.

4 hours ago, scilly owl said:

I’m not sure that the chairman “ appears to want to do the right thing “....he’s landed us with a twelve point deduction by doing the wrong thing.

I just don't know how wrong Chansiri has to get things before these alleged "good intentions" stop being enough for some people? 

12 point deduction, most likely heading to league 1 and currently barely half a squad of players, having charged the highest prices in the division for the last few years.  

We're worse off than before he arrived and we haven't even bottomed out yet imo. 

But we should be grateful because he wants to do well, lucky us. 

• Like 2