Thoughts on the whole situation

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So, the club stalls yet again as they are running round answering every banal question going.  DC has been probably the most transparent chairperson yet.

We need a period of calm heads and meaningful progress, not going into meltdown every time we let a goal in.

We all need to stop been so precious and needy.

That is what I mean by a transparent plan over the following years. What are the plans regarding our recruitment policy, backroom staff, youth development facilities etc. No day-to-day things but a solid plan of what we should expect to stabilize the situation and grind us through the 12pt penalty.

I would be very happy to see us anchor a secure position in the Championship and build a foundation for future success before even dreaming of the Premier League.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FinnishOwl said:

That is what I mean by a transparent plan over the following years. What are the plans regarding our recruitment policy, backroom staff, youth development facilities etc. No day-to-day things but a solid plan of what we should expect to stabilize the situation and grind us through the 12pt penalty.

I would be very happy to see us anchor a secure position in the Championship and build a foundation for future success before even dreaming of the Premier League.

Once you have the plan how are you better off without having the plan? 

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Once you have the plan how are you better off without having the plan? 

Ask the current government.

Their plan for overcoming the coronavirus is to have no plan. 

If it is good enough for the toffs at the top,  is it not good enough for us?

9 minutes ago, DSandersonOWL said:

Ask the current government.

Their plan for overcoming the coronavirus is to have no plan. 

If it is good enough for the toffs at the top,  is it not good enough for us?

LOL It would be nice to see it I agree but you can't do anything with it once you have it.  You are no better off than before, that's my point.

Just means more work for the club for no reason. 

You're not going in to march in to DCs office and say. "But what about the plan?" 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, peggyowl said:

I don't post regularly but watch the interesting views on OT with some amusement.   As with all fan bases we have our cup empty brigade no matter who is in charge, and our cup full brigade, but what people forget is everyone wears their blue and white glasses.   As it is a forum what the hell I thought Id give my wisdom. 

The Chairman 

Interesting guy and it would be interesting to know what his motivation was for buying a football club.  He has made mistakes we know that and he has had some interesting advice that we may not agree with.  The key for me is he is still willing to invest money in what could be a bottomless pit where in reality your not going to get money back.    All those calling for him to leave need to look at the Wigan situation and think hard about what could happen at least we have a chairman that appears to be wanting to do the right thing although at times misjudged with bad advice.  He doesn't need some UK football support not the person who is currently doing it as we all suspect who is looking after his own interests and not the club.

And as for the Trust demanding a meeting with the Chairman.  I've read with interest their aims and objectives and I'm afraid and I'm sure its been said, unless you represent the whole fan base stop it just stop it.  You have no more right than the rest of us to meet the Chairman.    You have no influence and your view point, whilst interesting, is no more or better than others who would put different views forward.  Do charity stuff, support the Owls community don't try to interfere in the running of the club..

The Manager and coaches

First he is a manager of experience, people say hes never won anything but  no matter what he was deemed good enough to be a prem manager not many English managers get that privilege so football people think he has something about him.  You need to take off the blue specs here and realise what was happening when he came in.  No matter what the early results and been 3rd at Christmas the squad wasn't that good and we were not anywhere near.   It was clear some players were not invested in the club and were only looking after number 1.  I also understand it was very much one of those player led squads where players thought they were above the manager and didn't like it when some authority started to be installed.   The typical not trying, playing poorly to get the manager sacked etc.  And don't be naive enough to think that doesn't happen.   The issues for me is why wasn't he or could he not bring in his own support staff.   For all I respect Bullen et al you have to ask and look at why we haven't progressed with these people as coaches.   Too familiar with players, not a progressive coaching style etc.   We need a complete clear out and new coaches to support the manager.   Allow him to really set his vision.

The Players and squad

Some people need to realise part of this recruitment is 2 fold lowering the age of the squad to allow a couple of seasons development and also lowering the wage bill significantly.  And apart from parachute payment clubs all clubs will be looking to do this.  Football is unsustainable in its current form and supports and players asking daft wages have to realise that.   Those that have left some were offered much reduced terms their choice or agents choice not to take it.   It will be interesting to see how many get the say salary (we won't ever know this) but I bet not many.   |Most will end up championship or below.   Yes we are in a tricky situation a much reduced squad unbalanced and not with players that would suit the managers style.   Supporters have said for a while,  no pace,   no commanding midfield, dead ball is awful and goal contribution though out the squad is shocking.    This needs to be addressed.   Now the names we hear banded about appear to be all young hungry players wanting to make a name for themselves.   Think about it come to owls, either you make a name and get a big money move or if it goes well you get in the Prem win win for young players that want to give there all.   Yes the young palyer will make mistakes but if the likes of top Prem clubs rate them then lets give them a chance . yes we have to have some experience but you look to Harris, Iorfa, Palmer, Luongo etc as that experience.  For me We need to cut our losses I would move on Reach, Bannan, Rhodes, Lee.   Clear out completely and start again.  It might initially be painful but we have needed that for more than a season.   

I've sure there will be some wit out there with their amazing humour that some show that will have a go at this view but I'm a realist and instead of being negative all the time and that must hard work for some of you I look for how we can and should improve.

So Monk is not to blame at all? Absolute rodruns...,he’s effin useless!!

1 hour ago, peggyowl said:

The Chairman 

Interesting guy and it would be interesting to know what his motivation was for buying a football club.  He has made mistakes we know that and he has had some interesting advice that we may not agree with.  The key for me is he is still willing to invest money in what could be a bottomless pit where in reality your not going to get money back.    All those calling for him to leave need to look at the Wigan situation and think hard about what could happen at least we have a chairman that appears to be wanting to do the right thing although at times misjudged with bad advice.  He doesn't need some UK football support not the person who is currently doing it as we all suspect who is looking after his own interests and not the club.

How do we know this?

I get the impression he has lost interest.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So, the club stalls yet again as they are running round answering every banal question going.  DC has been probably the most transparent chairperson yet.

We need a period of calm heads and meaningful progress, not going into meltdown every time we let a goal in.

We all need to stop been so precious and needy.

Is this the same chairmen that was selling season ticket saying we are going for promotion while not telling anyone we were under a transfer embargo?

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, briggowl said:

As arguably our stand out player over 5 years, I'd keep him as the experienced man (As he's still in contract) and have him captain. He shouts enough anyway so I'd rather have a loud player than an introvert as TL seems to be. 

If a supporters trust works for other clubs and it appears to, then I think it might be useful, as long as they can represent the fans. As I see it, they want some answers about the direction we're going in and we're crying out for this. 

Just gobbing off a team mates isn't being a leader. Sometimes that is needed but putting an arm round a shoulder is more important particularly with young inexperienced players.

We need a general, someone with a loud voice, directing othet players, encouraging, bollocking, driving on when heads are dropping, someone leading by example. Lees isn't that player but neither is Bannan who comes across as a stroppy, entitled little get, quick to blame others for his mistakes. He's a good player, great on his day, captain, no.

• Like 8

Some good points made by OP.  Where I disagree strongly is dismissive views on Supporters Trust.  Ok, they can’t speak for the whole fan base, but surely greater levels of supporter involvement / engagement would be a good thing.  If more people got involved, then by definition the Trust would be more representative of the fan base as a whole, and may ultimately exert more influence.  Too many people (me included) want to moan about things but can’t be bothered to try and play a part in improving the situation.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

I think the chairman's motivation for buying the club was to get us promoted and then he can say he own's a premier league club.

I thought he bought it as a present for his son, who then has the final word on the appointment of any new manager, well that's what Carlos claimed anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Some good points made by OP.  Where I disagree strongly is dismissive views on Supporters Trust.  Ok, they can’t speak for the whole fan base, but surely greater levels of supporter involvement / engagement would be a good thing.  If more people got involved, then by definition the Trust would be more representative of the fan base as a whole, and may ultimately exert more influence.  Too many people (me included) want to moan about things but can’t be bothered to try and play a part in improving the situation.

I do get this but if I have understood it right the Trust differs from other trusts it has no influence.  I'm not critisising people that want to be involved in the trust and we all want answers and want to know how we can help.  I just am off the opinion that a Trust with such a small footprint does very little.

The Trust point always makes me giggle

You get the 'lads' coming on ranting about the Trust and effectively 'opting out' of something they're not in anyway, whilst screaming angry "THEY DON'T SPEAK FOR ME' type posts, not realising that nobody ever wanted to represent or speak for them anyway.

lol

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop