Jump to content

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, prowl said:

I like Gray a lot. He had a lot of fine qualities and was starting to build a team that was hard to beat. Having  a bit of money to spend would have shown if he could have taken us into the play offs, The chances of that are good but there are question marks over whether he could build an attacking side. I would like us to have given him a chance to prove he'd got that ability.

 

Not to be sadly and now it's old news, We will never know what could have been, Time to move on  annd not live in the past.

All we have is the past!! 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood getting rid of Gray. I always assumed he had told Chansiri something he didn't want to hear. (Maybe "FFP doesn't let you spend all this money willy-nilly, you know?")

Edited by Daizan10
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

Gray was building a decent side with zero resources.  I have to admit to being annoyed when he was pushed out.  Even more so several weeks later when DC's big replacement was some total random journeyman who had never stayed at one club for longer than a season. 

 

I guess Gray never wrote any books about tactical periodicalisation or whatever though... 

 

Yet he stayed with us for more than two seasons and got in the playoffs twice in that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was disappointed when Gray was dismissed but I understood it as it's pretty normal for a new owner to want their own man. 

 

If Chansiri had said "I'm sacking Stuart Gray and replacing him with a manager you've never heard of but he will guarantee we at least get to the playoff final next season" I can't see many fighting to keep stuart gray at the helm. 

 

It's just a sad state of current affairs where we are 5 years down the line dropping like a lead balloon thinking we'd like a manager like Stuart Gray to come back. I'd certainly have him back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, poite said:

I was disappointed when Gray was dismissed but I understood it as it's pretty normal for a new owner to want their own man. 

 

If Chansiri had said "I'm sacking Stuart Gray and replacing him with a manager you've never heard of but he will guarantee we at least get to the playoff final next season" I can't see many fighting to keep stuart gray at the helm. 

 

It's just a sad state of current affairs where we are 5 years down the line dropping like a lead balloon thinking we'd like a manager like Stuart Gray to come back. I'd certainly have him back. 

If it's a choice between keeping Monk or getting Gray. I would be happy to keep Monk.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sticky Micky said:

Are people forgetting how awful a season of football under gray was 

 

Granted Monk's his worse with 'better' players 

 

But Gray was never the answer 

 

 

I do, yes. On that cow field of a pitch with a shoe string budget. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

People celebrating Fulham’s promotion like Stuart Gray has done it all himself and has proved DC wrong after 5 years. Some people need to move on.

 

I liked Gray, but he isn’t the manager at Fulham and hasn’t managed anyone since leaving us. 

 

The appointment of Carlos nearly proved a master stroke. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

People celebrating Fulham’s promotion like Stuart Gray has done it all himself and has proved DC wrong after 5 years. Some people need to move on.

 

I liked Gray, but he isn’t the manager at Fulham and hasn’t managed anyone since leaving us. 

 

The appointment of Carlos nearly proved a master stroke. 

Nearly?

 

It's not a case of moving on just merely highlighting all the major concerns I had about DC 5 years ago that have sadly been proven right.

Of course he's well meaning and has put serious money but his decision making on the football side have undermined all that and the sacking of Gray and appointment of Carlos, as nice a guy he is, are just two examples of bad decisions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe DC should have kept Gray for continuity.

 

The problem of course was that Gray had been appointed manager and would have has to step down to assistant manager or coach.

 

Still, that's what he was appointed as at Fulham, and he's done a good job at it too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Nobody was complaining when we reached the play off final and while disappointed we lost to Hull there was great optimism that the following season would see the team improve and go one better. Sadly this is where it started to wrong.

This.  Plus that following season we were hit with a horrendous/fluke amount of first team injuries (10 out of 12 of the previous years squad)  Without those injuries who knows where we would have been.  I always wondered if the new pitch had anything to do with the amount of injuries we had that year..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Are people forgetting how awful a season of football under gray was 

 

Granted Monk's his worse with 'better' players 

 

But Gray was never the answer 

 

 

Gray did well on a shoestring budget. We were dreadful in the last days of Jones. Gray went defensive to steady the ship. Not pretty but we became hard to beat and stayed up. With nothing to spend the next season he stayed defensive but we did very well considering. I'm not sure if he had the capacity to build a more attacing side, his big attacking signing was Stevie May, that flopped, but he deserved the chance to try with a few quid behind him.

 

He didn't get that chance so we will never know what might have been. I don't think he would have squandered money though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Nearly?

 

It's not a case of moving on just merely highlighting all the major concerns I had about DC 5 years ago that have sadly been proven right.

Of course he's well meaning and has put serious money but his decision making on the football side have undermined all that and the sacking of Gray and appointment of Carlos, as nice a guy he is, are just two examples of bad decisions.

How have you been proved right though? Your talking as though Gray would have got us promotion. Highlighting it after Fulham have got promoted with Gray as assistant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...