Loan Players

It does seem that we may have to rely on signing a reasonable number of loan players which could be a worry initially.

To date just about all the loan players we have had over the last couple of seasons have come unfit and have taken several weeks to get up to speed and be in contention for the 1st team selection.

With our points deduction we need a good start and the team to play with confidence and passion. We have very little preparation time so I hope the players that we are looking at are fit and ready to compete from day one.

Hope we start hearing some positive news soon.

Every team in this league relies heavily on loans, mostly all use them as first team regulars and usually they end up being one of the best players in that team. It seems that bar a couple of exceptions in Hector & Murphy we use the loan market pretty poorly. I hope given that Monk is a relatively well known character in English football he has a few contacts he can call upon.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bolton9owl said:

It does seem that we may have to rely on signing a reasonable number of loan players which could be a worry initially.

To date just about all the loan players we have had over the last couple of seasons have come unfit and have taken several weeks to get up to speed and be in contention for the 1st team selection.

With our points deduction we need a good start and the team to play with confidence and passion. We have very little preparation time so I hope the players that we are looking at are fit and ready to compete from day one.

That’s mainly because of the type of loan players we target. We tend to target championship ready players, though as you say, they are not ready due to fitness issues. I’ve looked at the shortcomings of our squad over recent years, and it’s been clear we needed to energise the group with younger players. 
That’s why I’ve been an advocate of bringing in talented youngsters, who may not necessarily have the experience, but generally have bags of pace and energy That was to be our stated mission last season, but the window closed without us bringing in a single player who fitted that bill

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bolton9owl said:

18EAB1AB-CC08-4094-A743-6CDC388BF98C.gif

Owlstalk Shop

We just need to get the right loans in, that’s all. Bringing in players that have recovered from injury and haven’t played much football is bound to take them time to get match fit. If we bring I players like Jacob Murphy that have had a pretty season then great. If we bring in players like Connor Wickham who’ve been dogged by injury and not trained much then not so good.

Thing is I think some loans won’t be done until nearer the season start or even after it begins whilst clubs weigh up their own squads.

20 hours ago, modboy said:

Murphy was one of the leagues top performers since lockdown. Shame he is out of our reach now it would seem.

If Murphy was ‘sent to us’ off the back of the ‘Bruce drama’ as payment for possibly tapping him up etc - makes you wonder if we can still attract this type of player next season. 

• Like 1

With the number of loan players that have arrive either over weight or simply not match-fit it does makes you wonder who has been responsible for carrying out their medical and fitness tests prior to signing. 

We already know that the Wednesday backroom team have been understaffed for some time so have players in the past been brought onboard with little or no checks actually been carried out or have we signed players purely based on their past reputation and performances without carrying out some form of fitness/medical test.

Lets hope in this window we don’t sign players that are still suffering from being over weight or from past injuries as it will undoubtedly take weeks to get them up to speed with the Championship pace etc.,

As we will be looking to claw the 12 points back as quick as possible  it will be imperative that every player is 100% fit and available for selection from the start of the new season so I only hope each new player is well scrutinised.

As I mentioned earlier, we must get away from looking for experienced players on loan. It’s a flawed policy, with mainly players who are looking to recuperate after injury, or at best, having had no game time because they aren’t in their clubs plans. They generally cost more also, as they are normally on a higher wage, and the parent club has no interest in their development, and are less likely to sponsor wages. Better to go for young players who are on the up. OK you don’t get the experience, but that’s rarely been an issue here, but what you do get is, raw talent, pace, energy, and a desire. It’s a no brainer really

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

I suppose we did get Wickham in after who won’t have been cheap. 

Chansiri always tries to help out his manager every season IMO, in whatever way he can. I can’t fault him in that regard. 

You say that, but with Fletch, Foriestieri and Hutchinson gone we have cut our cloth significantly. 

3 hours ago, modboy said:

Probably not as his wages are supposedly £25k pw 

https://footballleaguefc.com/newcastle-united-2019-20-player-wages/

You say that, but with fletch, Foristieri and Hutchinson gone we have cut our cloth significantly. I think we should be flexible with our approach and offer to pay some of the wages for any loan deals, especially if they are high quality players