Wednesday 15th best team at "pressing" in Europe

11 minutes ago, Mister Soul said:

Wow I’ve found a thread on owls talk where people understand football. 
you could see after the break we were much better at pressing and if we could defend and finish better we would have had a better run of results. Pressing high means you have to contain and win the ball and defensively we were seen for what we are if we didn’t win the ball . 
I’ll reiterate GM was not my first choice but given what I saw after the break I’m quite optimistic 

If you look at our goals scored away you can see how our pressing works. At home we've been trying to play on the front foot even when we've got in front...you've  got to have good intelligent players to be able to switch styles during a game. We haven't got them YET 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

If you look at our goals scored away you can see how our pressing works. At home we've been trying to play on the front foot even when we've got in front...you've  got to have good intelligent players to be able to switch styles during a game. We haven't got them YET 

THIS

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

We know we are rubbish though. 

So either:

1. We press and win the ball back, do absolutely nothing with it and lose possession, pass counter restarts. 

2. They cut through us like butter in 9 passes and it's a goal, missed chance etc. 

Can't read much into it when you've got us, Barnsley, Wigan and a few smaller teams in Spanish & Italian leagues in there too! 

• Like 2

Really not a fan of Monk, but I do think if there are signs of improvement and a plan/way of playing are set out then it’s a start.

It was noticeable after the restart what we were trying to achieve. Problem is we don’t have the quality and most importantly the intelligence to carry it out. So often wingbacks would have all the space in the world, created very well. Instead of doubling up, getting past the last defender or in the box to cut the ball back, the wing backs were left with few options. No overlaps or underlaps. Reminded of of when Antonio played. Give him the ball and hope he does something special. 

Looking like Monks definitely staying unfortunately. Away performances have been decent, home abysmal. If by some miracle we can get more quality in, or more intelligent footballers that understand this system, then we may be able to compete.

There haven’t been many positive signs under his management, but I think this is one. No doubt it’ll be a mistake and it’s united and not us though. 

He should be gone, however if nothings going to change I’m converting to the let’s get behind Monk camp.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

Scoring the most away goals in the league is pleasing. Yet despite that we also conceded more goals away from home than most other teams in the league as well, and our overall away record was only the 11th best in the league (3 points fewer than Reading who finished on the same points as us and just 1 more than Middlesbrough who were in relegation trouble for most of the season) so in what way does it "work"? 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kilbyj said:

We know we are rubbish though. 

So either:

1. We press and win the ball back, do absolutely nothing with it and lose possession, pass counter restarts. 

2. They cut through us like butter in 9 passes and it's a goal, missed chance etc. 

Can't read much into it when you've got us, Barnsley, Wigan and a few smaller teams in Spanish & Italian leagues in there too! 

Sorry for the long post but please at least read the last couple of points. You have to take into account the quality of player though for some sides though. Sorry to say you couldn’t be more wrong dismissing this table.

Barnsley lack quality. They still got 14 points in 9 games post lockdown. 

Wigan’s form second half of season had them 4th in the table.

Leeds won the league 

Getafe finished 8th, 2 points off Europe. Getafe! 

Barcelona are Barcelona.

Seville finished joint 3rd on points and champions league place.

Eibar who you’d think would be relegation candidates year on year finished 14th

Real Sociedad finished 6th and in Europe. Again not historically that bit a club.

PSG pissed the league again but they have great quality.

Lille were 4th, 1 point off 3rd and 8 player of 5th when the league got voided. After losing some quality players.

Bayern Munich won the league. Again they have great quality though.

Bayer Leverkusen finished 5th. Just missing out on champions league.

Liverpool. Don’t need to say anything.

Fulham promoted.

Preston overachievers imo. Finished 9th. 4 points from playoffs.

Southampton incredible turn around when the players got used to how Ralf wanted them to play. Hammered by Leicester 9-0 to then win the reverse fixture later in the year is some achievement.

Atalanta, little Atalanta finished 3rd. 5 points off top with the best goal difference in italy. Amazing job done there.

Verona 9th and Bologna 12th. These are yo-yo Serie B clubs.

So with the exception of Wednesday who are just learning how to do it. Everyone either overachieve or ends where they should.

Actually breaking that table down and looking shows amazing results. Personally I find it incredible.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Sorry for the long post but please at least read the last couple of points. You have to take into account the quality of player though for some sides though. Sorry to say you couldn’t be more wrong dismissing this table.

Barnsley lack quality. They still got 14 points in 9 games post lockdown. 

Wigan’s form second half of season had them 4th in the table.

Leeds won the league 

Getafe finished 8th, 2 points off Europe. Getafe! 

Barcelona are Barcelona.

Seville finished joint 3rd on points and champions league place.

Eibar who you’d think would be relegation candidates year on year finished 14th

Real Sociedad finished 6th and in Europe. Again not historically that bit a club.

PSG pissed the league again but they have great quality.

Lille were 4th, 1 point off 3rd and 8 player of 5th when the league got voided. After losing some quality players.

Bayern Munich won the league. Again they have great quality though.

Bayer Leverkusen finished 5th. Just missing out on champions league.

Liverpool. Don’t need to say anything.

Fulham promoted.

Preston overachievers imo. Finished 9th. 4 points from playoffs.

Southampton incredible turn around when the players got used to how Ralf wanted them to play. Hammered by Leicester 9-0 to then win the reverse fixture later in the year is some achievement.

Atalanta, little Atalanta finished 3rd. 5 points off top with the best goal difference in italy. Amazing job done there.

Verona 9th and Bologna 12th. These are yo-yo Serie B clubs.

So with the exception of Wednesday who are just learning how to do it. Everyone either overachieve or ends where they should.

Actually breaking that table down and looking shows amazing results. Personally I find it incredible.

So teams with quality players have done well, and teams with poo players havent. 

Cool.

9 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

So teams with quality players have done well, and teams with poo players havent. 

Cool.

I’m confused. There’s a heck of a lot of small clubs in there that have overachieved. 

Only underachievers in that list are us. Lots of relegation and bottom half candidates don’t go down and finish top half and European places.

Keeps top sides at the top and average/crap sides do much better than expected.

Edited by jonesy87shef

As has been mentioned earlier I think there's a strong possibility we've mixed up with the bacon strips here, They pressure teams throughout the match and have annoyingly but unfortunately quite deservedly been lauded by every pundit going for getting in the faces of teams trying to play out from the back. On the other hand I remember being annoyed at how little we pressed teams this season. The match against Barnsley at home we harassed them for the full 90 minutes but from my memory this was an exception to how we normally played this season.

• Like 2