Stuart Gray

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

I never wanted him as manager though, I always said that as a coach he would have been an excellent choice. 

It's easy to go back five years or so and pick one of the biggest disappointing games like the Charlton FA game to try and support your argument though.

That game was spineless, and the subs in that game was wrong for me, that said when the dust had settled over all Gray did a decent job on very little.

But saying at the time if we're serious about the next two seasons, it's not long before he gets the chop, is quite a jump to this

2 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

It was the first of many mistakes by Chansiri, at the time of his sacking I was shocked and maybe this was an early sign of things to come.

You thought he was going to get sacked but were shocked he did is what you're saying then. It is about as logical as those in this thread saying he'd have been a great manager because he's a good assistant :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carbone said:

But saying at the time if we're serious about the next two seasons, it's not long before he gets the chop, is quite a jump to this

You thought he was going to get sacked but were shocked he did is what you're saying then. It is about as logical as those in this thread saying he'd have been a great manager because he's a good assistant :biggrin:

To clarify I was shocked he wasnt asked to stay at the club in some sort of capacity.

I was not shocked he was sacked as the head coach because it was obvious DC would be wanting ' his man'.

At the time I didnt think Gray was up to be a manager and possibly still dont, but as a coach I'd have him in anyday.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

To clarify I was shocked he wasnt asked to stay at the club in some sort of capacity.

I was not shocked he was sacked as the head coach because it was obvious DC would be wanting ' his man'.

At the time I didnt think Gray was up to be a manager and possibly still dont, but as a coach I'd have him in anyday.

Maybe he was asked, but after spending a year and a half in charge, I imagine it's very undermining to be asked to stay on in a lesser capacity. Gray will have been totally in his rights to say I want the proper job or nothing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

I think once you have had the Head coach / Managers job at the club you don't want to go back to being just another coach.
Stuart Gray probably not rich by football standards but still will be comfortably off that he is not desperate for any job.

1 minute ago, Carbone said:

Maybe he was asked, but after spending a year and a half in charge, I imagine it's very undermining to be asked to stay on in a lesser capacity. Gray will have been totally in his rights to say I want the proper job or nothing.

Absolutely and thats a great point.

Towards the end the football was getting dire to watch so I'm sure Chansiri saw this and made his decision based simply on that.

I would love to know if Chansiri did offer him a chance to stay on at the club though, I get a feeling he didnt .

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think once you have had the Head coach / Managers job at the club you don't want to go back to being just another coach.
Stuart Gray probably not rich by football standards but still will be comfortably off that he is not desperate for any job.

Yeah @Carbone just said similar and I get this too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Wasn't Grays departure down to us wanting to install a DOF above him? 

He left and the DOF (CC) then became the head coach.

I might be totally misunderstanding you, but CC was never going to be DoF himself. He's always been a head coach and like many other coaches on the content, prefers the structure of not having to deal with transfers/contracts and wants to focus on training and managing the players on a day to day basis.

I believe Glenn Roeder was appointed in some sort of DoF role anyway in April 2015 until he left later in the year

Just now, Carbone said:

I might be totally misunderstanding you, but CC was never going to be DoF himself. He's always been a head coach and like many other coaches on the content, prefers the structure of not having to deal with transfers/contracts and wants to focus on training and managing the players on a day to day basis.

I believe Glenn Roeder was appointed in some sort of DoF role anyway in April 2015 until he left later in the year

Wasnt there stuff about Marc Cooper coming in under CC? 

Cooper would be head coach and CC would be DOF?

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Wasnt there stuff about Marc Cooper coming in under CC? 

Cooper would be head coach and CC would be DOF?

God I forgot about Cooper, at the time I felt it was weird ...where is Marc Cooper now ?

Edited by TaxiMark

30 minutes ago, Carbone said:

I think one of the original ideas was that Carlos Carvahaul would be head coach and Mark Cooper would join us from Swindon as his assistant with a view to being head coach later on.
Mark Cooper didn't want to come unless he had final say on team selection and tactics from when he joined.

50 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Yes, and that didn't help our cause when Roeder left.

21 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Totally agree with the first paragraph.

As for the 2nd paragraph, I think it was the right time to replace him as manager, he should definitely have been kept on in a coaching capacity and we missed a trick with that.

That was never going to happen though was it? If you're a manager and the new owner comes to you and says "Hi Stuart, we don't want you in this role but we want you to work under the new guy", you aren't going to stay on are you? Think it's unfair to say we missed a trick with it. It was either keep him as head coach or get rid.

23 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The 2015-2016 saw SWFC being greater than the sum of its parts. Nobody really expected the club to mount a serious promotion challenge that early. It was the decisions afterwards that started the demise to where we are now.

dc taking over and having little or no experience within the club, appointing doyen, and the decision in 2015 to allow a bloke with carvalhal's record to take over was the start of the demise.

Just now, dorian gray said:

dc taking over and having little or no experience within the club, appointing doyen, and the decision in 2015 to allow a bloke with carvalhal's record to take over was the start of the demise.

Nobody was complaining when they were sat at Wembley before the play off final in his first full season were they?