Stuart Gray

Just now, dorian gray said:

and time proved them wrong.

football supporters will always be happy with their club spending heavily in the transfer market.

but less so when gate prices go through the roof to help cover it.

The 2015-2016 saw SWFC being greater than the sum of its parts. Nobody really expected the club to mount a serious promotion challenge that early. It was the decisions afterwards that started the demise to where we are now.

Said it before and still the same thoughts the backbone, organisation and spirit of Carlos first season came from what S. G implemented. 

All Carlos had to do was what S. G didn't have the money to do which was add a bit of flair (Nando) and firepower hooper and we where aways, especially playing on a nice green carpet instead of a ploughed cabbage patch. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

He wouldn't have wanted to be the assistant as it would have been as a backward step and failure for him going from head coach to assistant.

I know it would never have happened because it would have been hard for him to step down to assistant but if timings had been better it would have been a good partnership I reckon and what Carlos was missing. 

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

He wouldn't have wanted to be the assistant as it would have been as a backward step and failure for him going from head coach to assistant.

True but I thought he prefers roll of assistant and coaching. 

24 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I agree but many of our fan base seem to have developed extremely short memories of the periods of the Gray management and early days of Carvalhal plus at Fulham Gray worked with players and a squad budget far in excess of anything we have had to work with.

nevertheless the basis of gray's squad only needed attacking elements adding, and would have been a more formidable force that the one that bloodied the noses of afcb and watford at their divisional 'winners' parties.

25 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The 2015-2016 saw SWFC being greater than the sum of its parts. Nobody really expected the club to mount a serious promotion challenge that early. It was the decisions afterwards that started the demise to where we are now.

the complex style of (arsenalesque) overplay was in from the start, that was the demise, just one idea, needs only one idea to stop it.

that's why when bruce stopped it, carlos had no counter.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Saved us from the drop, though.

If the incumbent had been in charge we wouldn't have had a chance.

I’m not doubting he did a decent job here and I like him, but the idea that his achievements as an assistant manager means he somehow ‘got away’ from us and we dropped a ball just seems bizarre logic to me 

• Like 1

I like Stuart Gray and think he is an excellent coach and I was sorry when he left.
But once we came into a bit of money I don't think a lot of fans would have accepted his unglamorous personality and style.
I don't think it was wrong to appoint Carlos Carvahaul. The mistakes were keeping him on too long once his shelf life had finished, scatter gun approach to recruitment and no plan B after the play off game v Huddersfield.

• Like 1

I will say that that club needs as an assistant someone like Stuart Gray or Terry Burton.
I don't think either of them would come back but someone from that mould. An experience coach that can get a team organised.

Of course I have never spent a day on the training ground but get the impression that Lee Bullen is not that type of coach.

Really wierd situation in reality. 

He's proved how fantastic an assistant manager he can be, worked wonders here as a manager, so you'd think (in hindsight) since D. C wanted Carlos in as a manager /dof with that no mark Cooper we were chasing soon after as his head coach. 

It's a pity we couldn't have sorted something out with Carlos as manager /dof role and S. G staying on as head coach /assistant manager which he's done since he left???. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I've just mentioned this, Carlos wanted to be in a kind of manager /director of football role, not a sole manager. We tried to being the Cooper guy in as head coach and failed soon after. 

We could have just titled Carlos general manager and left S. G as a head coach. 

No one really cared about Grey when we got to Wembley, or finished 4th. 

I've no issue with Grey, he's probably a good coach and he did well here. He's not solely responsible for Fulham going up. Fulham have spent 100+ in the last couple of seasons. This season they were able to spend big sums and get premier league failure payments. 

Didn't Grey promote Bullen to first team coach here....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I like Stuart Gray and think he is an excellent coach and I was sorry when he left.
But once we came into a bit of money I don't think a lot of fans would have accepted his unglamorous personality and style.
I don't think it was wrong to appoint Carlos Carvahaul. The mistakes were keeping him on too long once his shelf life had finished, scatter gun approach to recruitment and no plan B after the play off game v Hull.

Agree with all of that bar Huddersfield it was no plan B after Hull. We limped through the season playing keep ball and only attacking when necessary as CC had no plan A or B that year, we just had good players who won us points, it was only after the dyer draw at Barnsley where they scored in injury time (but truth be told were so much better than us should have been way ahead) where we dropped out of the playoffs he reverted to last seasons

team and tactics of attack when we won 6 on the bounce and finished 4th. He then didn’t attack again in the playoffs. Plan A worked well season 1. Couldn’t see what plan A was season 2. There never was a plan b but Carlos staying into season

3 was a massive mistake. 

Just now, TaxiMark said:

It was the first of many mistakes by Chansiri, at the time of his sacking I was shocked and maybe this was an early sign of things to come.

It really isn't/wasn't.

Success as an assistant manager does not mean guaranteed success as a manager. Sorry but why does that even need explaining.