Stuart Gray

Had the pleasure of speaking to Stuart Gray at length about football and Wednesday. Very knowledgable and likeable man. 

Unfortunately wasn’t flash enough for DC and his advisers. Gamble nearly paid off with Carlos, but we would be in a far better position now if we stuck with Gray in my opinion.

• Like 6

Gray had much less in funds during his time here compared to Carlos. Think we were around mid-table under Gray. Skip on to now and where are we? First mistake. I was thinking Gray with backing? Ends up with Carlos with that much talked of first season style brand. Yet bring in the final against Hull City and we didn't even go for it. Same can be said for the next season playoff  semi against Huddersfield. So negative. Games to be won and we didn't even turn up. That's the Carlos measure. Along comes Jos. Awful, though never got much backing. Then we see Bruce who walks and now Monk with his great last season haul and now facing that minus 12. For me I look at the outcome of appointments not what was good during the reigns. Gets rid of Gray. Then hires four managers. All failed to date. Then he causes the points deduction. OK. Maybe DC will come good. But what he has done prior he needs to not keep doing. Obvious but fact. 

Edited by basegreenowl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jack whitham said:

You mean like it is now.

Its not good now but as I posted earlier that doesn't mean the football under Gray was good. 16 goals and 5 wins at Hillsborough during the 2014-2015 season. Do you think the chairman was going to go with Gray after watching the finish to that season?

24 minutes ago, swfcjack27 said:

If he could’ve been persuaded to stay as assistant alongside Carlos we would’ve been a Premier League team after that first season I’m pretty confident of it. Outstanding coach.

Agree with this. He has always done his best work as a coach not a manager. Would probably have been difficult to appoint someone above him and expect him to stay on as coach though.

20 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Never a manager?

Did a better job at Wednesday than Luhukay and Monk. 

Hardly the greatest achievement.

Gray has again achieved success at what he is best at, coaching and assisting, not managing.