Would football be better/worse if...

1) The manager you appointed for your club couldn't be dismissed at any time during the season

2) You had to put together your squad by the first game of the season and couldn't change it at any point during the season and transfers could only ever happen during close season again

What do you reckon?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

The old system before transfer windows were introduced was much better. Worked perfectly well. If it ain't broke .......

Don’t think that was an option, but you’re right. I think it would be disastrous to have keep the same manager for a full season. Can you imagine the chaos in the summer when everyone is after a new manager ?

• Like 1

Yes and Yes.  It would make things better, but probably more boring too.

Clubs wouldn't go for broke during the January transfer window.  Players who sign for a manager know that manager will be there all year round.  Managers and clubs would have to have a game plan, that in itself would help clubs consider things in a more long-term fashion.

It would end the fun of a "Monk Out" thread after 2 games and the speculation of new players/staff coming in though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

I think it would be disastrous to have keep the same manager for a full season. 

Not if you hire the right manager for your club

It would mean clubs take more time in the summer evaluating the right fit for their club instead of the disposable attitudes we see from other clubs

Owlstalk Shop

I find it mental they are allowed to restrict trade to the point they have.

Didn’t really like how the emergency loan window was closed, helped us a lot over the years with signings like Hooper, McGugan and Wickham. Seemingly now you have to commit to a permanent or loan term loan. 

Cant imagine a manager transfer window either, but then again I bet some couldn’t have imagined a player transfer window at one point.

• Like 1

Yes & yes.

Maybe you could stick your manager on gardening leave but the replacement would have to come from within your club.

Also would never happen but would like to see rule around each club having to field 4 players developed by their academy each game.

Try & bring the club back to the community a little more.

Guest wilyfox

No, I'd miss January transfer deadline day. Some men look forward to obligatory sex with the wife on birthday and Christmas. I look forward to Jim White on Jan & Aug 31st. 

We'd need a total change of approach given how we always seem to leave things to the last minute every time. 

I imagine transfer deadline day would be even more mental than usual if there was only one each season and prices may shoot even higher as a consequence maybe?

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

1) The manager you appointed for your club couldn't be dismissed at any time during the season

2) You had to put together your squad by the first game of the season and couldn't change it at any point during the season and transfers could only ever happen during close season again

What do you reckon?

1)  I could go for this providing manager's contracts could only last for one season.  No compo would then need to be paid and there might possibly be more managers available.

2)  I would like to see all player transfer windows scrapped.  Clubs should be allowed to buy and sell players throughout each year.

3)  I would like to see it a rule that agents could not be paid by the clubs.  Agents should be paid by the players that want to use an agent.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not if you hire the right manager for your club

It would mean clubs take more time in the summer evaluating the right fit for their club instead of the disposable attitudes we see from other clubs

On this and our managers of late we would be well and truly ******😂😂

I think you’ve got to be able to get rid of a manager as and when it’s right for the club. That’s a judgement thing on behalf of the Chairman.

As for players. I’d like to see a system similar to the NFL whereby you name a squad of, say, 25 players for the season. They can not play for any other club and you can’t add to your squad. The exception being if one of the 25 suffers a serious injury then you can add a replacement, but the injured player, no matter how he recovers, can’t play again that season.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What do you reckon?

not for us, i think as a club we lack cohesion, we generally like to see the fire well established before we make an attempt to tackle it.