Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

It’s a fair analogy, although we were anything but F1 when he arrived.

 

A lot of the parts are still attached although they have little use.

I was also going to say “no tools”, but we’ve plenty of those. Still, trying to repair a Cortina and make it look like a F1 car’s even harder.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hookowl said:

 

Just a slight correction to your statement there.

our only striker option is a bloke who all recent managers did not play

 

The manager wants to play a 3-5-2 but has no wingback at the club. Monk has never stated that and I don't believe he particularly does, it seems to have been forced on him to revert to that due to the players he had at his disposal. He has not played that formation at his previous clubs.

 

We have always played a 4-4-2 and have the players for that system, since Monk has been here we have been playing 4-3-3 but with only 1 striker in fletcher and attacking midfielders basically a 4-5-1.

 

Then when we came back for the last 9 games he decide to switch to a 3-5-2 without having the player to actually play the formation. This has not been forced upon him he chose to do it.

 

The same way he could have equally played a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or what ever formation he wanted but he chose 3-5-2 without have any wing backs at the club, or playing 2 strikers up front when he had the chose of Wickham, Rhodes, Nuihu

 

Had he played 4-4-2 we could have had Palmer, Lees, Borner, Iorfa in a back four, which would have made for a lot more solid defense than the one that conceded 21 goals in 9 games. But the real issue is the complete lack of a championship quality keeper behind the defence again Monk choosing as he picks the team and decide not to play the championship quality keeper he has at his disposal as he does not like him. That ship has sail but he is still at the club and currently not been sold while he is here we may as well use him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doubleo said:

And sometimes it just needs the John Cleese treatment - a good thrashing with a pointed stick

lol  Been there  A66 just off the 74 heading back from Scotland...old fiat uno finally gave up....lost it... lol

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We have always played a 4-4-2 and have the players for that system, since Monk has been here we have been playing 4-3-3 but with only 1 striker in fletcher and attacking midfielders basically a 4-5-1.

 

Then when we came back for the last 9 games he decide to switch to a 3-5-2 without having the player to actually play the formation. This has not been forced upon him he chose to do it.

 

The same way he could have equally played a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or what ever formation he wanted but he chose 3-5-2 without have any wing backs at the club, or playing 2 strikers up front when he had the chose of Wickham, Rhodes, Nuihu

 

Had he played 4-4-2 we could have had Palmer, Lees, Borner, Iorfa in a back four, which would have made for a lot more solid defense than the one that conceded 21 goals in 9 games. But the real issue is the complete lack of a championship quality keeper behind the defence again Monk choosing as he picks the team and decide not to play the championship quality keeper he has at his disposal as he does not like him. That ship has sail but he is still at the club and currently not been sold while he is here we may as well use him. 

 

The keeper you refer to I would agree he was a quality championship keeper for several seasons but not anymore. Monk was not our only manager to realise that, nothing to do with "he does not like him". 

Yes I agree we have played 4-4-2 previously to good effect, but that was in previous seasons when we had players that suited it. This season for various reasons most of our players were not suited to this formation, especially in midfield. Therefore in my opinion the change in formation was forced on him, as I said in my opinion.

Also as I said in my previous reply Monk is not known for previously favouring 3-5-2 and I have not seen anything from Monk saying that he wants to play 3-5-2 next season despite your statement to that effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alanharper said:

 

Your defence of and bigging up of Monk is getting ever more desperate.

 

Now he's great because he "managed in Europe? Well yeah he did, but only because another manager got them there the season before. 

 

He "saved" Birmingham from relegation because he had a midtable side that was deducted points and moved to lower midtable? Yes he inspired them to 2 wins in the final 12 league games. 

His barrel scraping support of Monk is truly laughable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, doubleo said:

And sometimes it just needs the John Cleese treatment - a good thrashing with a pointed stick


You're mixing up your Cleese with your Idle there Doubleo. Yer Cleese preferred to thrash his Austin 1100 with a flimsy branch or sapling, whereas yer Eric Idle wanted self defence instructor Cleese to teach him how to fend off an attack with a pointed stick, rather than Cleese's repetitive disarming of someone armed with an offensive piece of fruit. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, paulvcooke said:

His barrel scraping support of Monk is truly laughable.

No what's  funny is that even with all the gnashing of teeth on here Monk will be starting the season as our manager like it or not lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alanharper said:

 

Your defence of and bigging up of Monk is getting ever more desperate.

 

Now he's great because he "managed in Europe? Well yeah he did, but only because another manager got them there the season before. 

 

He "saved" Birmingham from relegation because he had a midtable side that was deducted points and moved to lower midtable? Yes he inspired them to 2 wins in the final 12 league games. 




He has all the qualities that on paper would make him the most attractive proposition right now


Thankfully we already have him here 👍

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ll never believe it, but that Python self defence sketch was in an episode called ‘Owl Stretching Time’ 

 

Sounds like what DC is doing now while he dithers about deciding what to do next! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Devonstrix said:

You’ll never believe it, but that Python self defence sketch was in an episode called ‘Owl Stretching Time’ 

 

Sounds like what DC is doing now while he dithers about deciding what to do next! 

 

He's already decided


Monk's staying

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some good managers out of work, especially now amazingly it looks like Bristol City are not going to take any of those big names,  but are about to promote from within - Dean Holden. Talk about leading your supporters up the garden path. 

Edited by Devonstrix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Some good managers out of work, especially now amazingly it looks like Bristol City are not going to take any of those big names,  but are about to promote from within - Dean Holden. Talk about leading your supporters up the garden path. 



Monk's not going anywhere


It's going to be a long long lOOOOOONG summer for any fans sat proposing new managers, waiting for the news that Monk's gone because he's not going anywhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:




He has all the qualities that on paper would make him the most attractive proposition right now


Thankfully we already have him here 👍

 

I'd ask what they were and debunk them all, but there's no point. You've become a parody of yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, alanharper said:

I'd ask what they were and debunk them all, but there's no point. You've become a parody of yourself.



The only ones looking a bit silly are those screaming for Monk to go whilst cherry picking the stats that suit their argument and ignoring all his achievements, experience and knowledge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Monk's not going anywhere


Neither are we then. Neither are we. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:


Neither are we then. Neither are we. 

 

We're probably going somewhere and that's down? Only crumb of comfort at the moment is our silver away kit. We tend to do well when we wear one of them 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C90AFBB6-46B3-47C8-8599-D4BBCEB0A85A.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:



The only ones looking a bit silly are those screaming for Monk to go whilst cherry picking the stats that suit their argument and ignoring all his achievements, experience and knowledge. 

He's never achieved anything!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:



Monk's not going anywhere


It's going to be a long long lOOOOOONG summer for any fans sat proposing new managers, waiting for the news that Monk's gone because he's not going anywhere

 

Its going to be a long painful season if thats the case.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Monk is the 4th coach to have failed with the same group of players.

So who is at fault?.

Depends how you view failure but monk is 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...