Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

19 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We have always played a 4-4-2 and have the players for that system, since Monk has been here we have been playing 4-3-3 but with only 1 striker in fletcher and attacking midfielders basically a 4-5-1.

Then when we came back for the last 9 games he decide to switch to a 3-5-2 without having the player to actually play the formation. This has not been forced upon him he chose to do it.

The same way he could have equally played a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or what ever formation he wanted but he chose 3-5-2 without have any wing backs at the club, or playing 2 strikers up front when he had the chose of Wickham, Rhodes, Nuihu

Had he played 4-4-2 we could have had Palmer, Lees, Borner, Iorfa in a back four, which would have made for a lot more solid defense than the one that conceded 21 goals in 9 games. But the real issue is the complete lack of a championship quality keeper behind the defence again Monk choosing as he picks the team and decide not to play the championship quality keeper he has at his disposal as he does not like him. That ship has sail but he is still at the club and currently not been sold while he is here we may as well use him. 

The keeper you refer to I would agree he was a quality championship keeper for several seasons but not anymore. Monk was not our only manager to realise that, nothing to do with "he does not like him". 

Yes I agree we have played 4-4-2 previously to good effect, but that was in previous seasons when we had players that suited it. This season for various reasons most of our players were not suited to this formation, especially in midfield. Therefore in my opinion the change in formation was forced on him, as I said in my opinion.

Also as I said in my previous reply Monk is not known for previously favouring 3-5-2 and I have not seen anything from Monk saying that he wants to play 3-5-2 next season despite your statement to that effect.

Guest paulvcooke
4 hours ago, alanharper said:

Your defence of and bigging up of Monk is getting ever more desperate.

Now he's great because he "managed in Europe? Well yeah he did, but only because another manager got them there the season before. 

He "saved" Birmingham from relegation because he had a midtable side that was deducted points and moved to lower midtable? Yes he inspired them to 2 wins in the final 12 league games. 

His barrel scraping support of Monk is truly laughable.

2 hours ago, doubleo said:

And sometimes it just needs the John Cleese treatment - a good thrashing with a pointed stick

You're mixing up your Cleese with your Idle there Doubleo. Yer Cleese preferred to thrash his Austin 1100 with a flimsy branch or sapling, whereas yer Eric Idle wanted self defence instructor Cleese to teach him how to fend off an attack with a pointed stick, rather than Cleese's repetitive disarming of someone armed with an offensive piece of fruit. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alanharper said:

Your defence of and bigging up of Monk is getting ever more desperate.

Now he's great because he "managed in Europe? Well yeah he did, but only because another manager got them there the season before. 

He "saved" Birmingham from relegation because he had a midtable side that was deducted points and moved to lower midtable? Yes he inspired them to 2 wins in the final 12 league games. 

He has all the qualities that on paper would make him the most attractive proposition right now

Thankfully we already have him here 👍

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Devonstrix said:

You’ll never believe it, but that Python self defence sketch was in an episode called ‘Owl Stretching Time’ 

Sounds like what DC is doing now while he dithers about deciding what to do next! 

He's already decided

Monk's staying

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Some good managers out of work, especially now amazingly it looks like Bristol City are not going to take any of those big names,  but are about to promote from within - Dean Holden. Talk about leading your supporters up the garden path. 

Edited by Devonstrix

2 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Some good managers out of work, especially now amazingly it looks like Bristol City are not going to take any of those big names,  but are about to promote from within - Dean Holden. Talk about leading your supporters up the garden path. 

Monk's not going anywhere

It's going to be a long long lOOOOOONG summer for any fans sat proposing new managers, waiting for the news that Monk's gone because he's not going anywhere

Owlstalk Shop

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He has all the qualities that on paper would make him the most attractive proposition right now

Thankfully we already have him here 👍

I'd ask what they were and debunk them all, but there's no point. You've become a parody of yourself.

Just now, alanharper said:

I'd ask what they were and debunk them all, but there's no point. You've become a parody of yourself.

The only ones looking a bit silly are those screaming for Monk to go whilst cherry picking the stats that suit their argument and ignoring all his achievements, experience and knowledge. 

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Neither are we then. Neither are we. 

We're probably going somewhere and that's down? Only crumb of comfort at the moment is our silver away kit. We tend to do well when we wear one of them 😳

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The only ones looking a bit silly are those screaming for Monk to go whilst cherry picking the stats that suit their argument and ignoring all his achievements, experience and knowledge. 

He's never achieved anything!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Monk's not going anywhere

It's going to be a long long lOOOOOONG summer for any fans sat proposing new managers, waiting for the news that Monk's gone because he's not going anywhere

Its going to be a long painful season if thats the case.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Monk is the 4th coach to have failed with the same group of players.

So who is at fault?.

Everyone is at fault at the club.

But out of those 4 managers to have failed with the same group of players, Monk has the worse record.

8 hours ago, Tommycraign10others said:

Not sure where the view we could have pushed for the play offs comes from. Going back to last summer, as has been said Bruce stated it will take 3/4 windows to sort out.  Most fans on here felt we were a mid table team.  
It always appears to me that those who didn’t want Monk, refuse to accept the size of the job in hand and make no allowance for all that has been going on and want him fired to justify there initial positions.  
My guess is that GM will still be here next season and that relegation will be avoided despite the 12 point deduction and we should get behind the team and club

Look at where this group of players were when Bruce took over last year and we very nearly made the playoffs, I still think Fletcher scores the pen v Villa and we’d have got in.

Bruce may have said 3/4 windows but he’d got some players in and with getting the best from what he had which is did (and look at us first half of the season) he was deffo thinking we could have had a go this year. 

Monk has drastically under achieved and we’re lucky we didn’t go down really. Has to go 

• Like 3