Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

5 hours ago, doubleo said:

Imagine trying to repair a F1 car without

Any replacement parts

Money to buy any

Pit crew to help 

and the clock ticking.

Plus you start the next race a lap behind everyone else.

It’s a fair analogy, although we were anything but F1 when he arrived.

A lot of the parts are still attached although they have little use.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Your defence of and bigging up of Monk is getting ever more desperate.

Now he's great because he "managed in Europe? Well yeah he did, but only because another manager got them there the season before. 

He "saved" Birmingham from relegation because he had a midtable side that was deducted points and moved to lower midtable? Yes he inspired them to 2 wins in the final 12 league games. 

Could be said about Carlos.

Took over a physicaly fit, well organised and disciplined squad, had a decent 1st season and went down hill from there , in every sense.

Wasted OOOOOOOOOOOOOdles of cash while doing it.

Monk is in an impossible situation next season. He will be under huge pressure to claw back to safety from the first game , yet will have had no time to bed in new players or do a proper pre season. He is almost certainly doomed to fail and will almost certainly be fired by Christmas.

27 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

I don't think he does deserves a chance after performances and results since January, some of the worst football seen at Hillsborough in years!

As for who would come in? I always find that a poor excuse to keep a manager. 4 wins in 23? I reckon me or you could have got the team to win 4 games in 23, so i think anyone who would come in couldn't do worse!

Money talks, Bruce was on apparently £2 million a year!

Personally I'd go get Paul Cook or Jokanovic, even think Struber from Barnsley would be a good shout!

Jokanovic.... come on at least be realistic 

Just now, sheffwed1 said:

Jokanovic.... come on at least be realistic 

Why is it not realistic?

He's stuck out in Qatar, might want to have a proper job in football!

We gave Bruce £ 2 million a year!

Why not make the guy an offer!

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

Why is it not realistic?

He's stuck out in Qatar, might want to have a proper job in football!

We gave Bruce £ 2 million a year!

Why not make the guy an offer!

not coming here in a million years. 
why do you think he is in Qatar? £££££££££

I want to have a good season next season, I want to sign good players, I wan't to see good football and hopefully finish comfortably mid table next season!

I want all the Monk supporters to tell me I was wrong about him!

But given our recruitment record over the last few years and, I've seen nothing on the pitch to give me even 1% confidence that any of that is going to happen!

Edited by jonnyowl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Correct. Chansiri may be responsible for the -12 but the shear mess we are in on the field is totally down to monk. He has had ample time to change things around in a professional manner and get a style in place. What has he done, made us worse everywhere. All this he’s not had the ample tools is rubbish he’s been here a year and he nearly took us down with players who could have pushed for the playoffs. Anyone who thinks we’re staying up with him in charge next year is deluded 

MONK OUT 

Not sure where the view we could have pushed for the play offs comes from. Going back to last summer, as has been said Bruce stated it will take 3/4 windows to sort out.  Most fans on here felt we were a mid table team.  
It always appears to me that those who didn’t want Monk, refuse to accept the size of the job in hand and make no allowance for all that has been going on and want him fired to justify there initial positions.  
My guess is that GM will still be here next season and that relegation will be avoided despite the 12 point deduction and we should get behind the team and club

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tommycraign10others said:

Not sure where the view we could have pushed for the play offs comes from. Going back to last summer, as has been said Bruce stated it will take 3/4 windows to sort out.  Most fans on here felt we were a mid table team.  
It always appears to me that those who didn’t want Monk, refuse to accept the size of the job in hand and make no allowance for all that has been going on and want him fired to justify there initial positions.  
My guess is that GM will still be here next season and that relegation will be avoided despite the 12 point deduction and we should get behind the team and club

Why couldn't we have pushed for the play offs? Apart from the top 4 who were a cut above the rest, most of the rest of the league could have made it if they'd had some consistency, Cardiff finished 5th and I don't think I've seen them play this season when they've looked anything more than a bang average team, same for any team from 5th downwards really. 

We were good enpugh, even if it was unconvincing, in the first half of the season, and if we'd achieved even mediocre mid table form in the second half of the season, rather than relegation form, we'd have been in the play offs. That's all it would've taken, 31 points from 23 games instead of 17 points. And if you think thats beyond us, it's the same form we'll have to maintain if we're to avoid relegation next season. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, doubleo said:

Imagine trying to repair a F1 car without

Any replacement parts

Money to buy any

Pit crew to help 

and the clock ticking.

Plus you start the next race a lap behind everyone else.

Yep, but we are more like a Trabant - talk to it nicely and it'll start every time, monk has to learn to talk nicely his car. lol

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

I want to have a good season next season, I want to sign good players, I wan't to see good football and hopefully finish comfortably mid table next season!

I want all the Monk supporters to tell me I was wrong about him!

But given our recruitment record over the last few years and, I've seen nothing on the pitch to give me even 1% confidence that any of that is going to happen!

Comfortably midtable........... with a minus 12 point start ? 

"Our" recruitment went in a different direction last summer, and it will this,ya can't failed to have noticed. 

22 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Comfortably midtable........... with a minus 12 point start ? 

"Our" recruitment went in a different direction last summer, and it will this,ya can't failed to have noticed. 

Get off to a good start and its possible!

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Yep, but we are more like a Trabant - talk to it nicely and it'll start every time, monk has to learn to talk nicely his car. lol

And sometimes it just needs the John Cleese treatment - a good thrashing with a pointed stick

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

It’s a fair analogy, although we were anything but F1 when he arrived.

A lot of the parts are still attached although they have little use.

I was also going to say “no tools”, but we’ve plenty of those. Still, trying to repair a Cortina and make it look like a F1 car’s even harder.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hookowl said:

Just a slight correction to your statement there.

our only striker option is a bloke who all recent managers did not play

The manager wants to play a 3-5-2 but has no wingback at the club. Monk has never stated that and I don't believe he particularly does, it seems to have been forced on him to revert to that due to the players he had at his disposal. He has not played that formation at his previous clubs.

We have always played a 4-4-2 and have the players for that system, since Monk has been here we have been playing 4-3-3 but with only 1 striker in fletcher and attacking midfielders basically a 4-5-1.

Then when we came back for the last 9 games he decide to switch to a 3-5-2 without having the player to actually play the formation. This has not been forced upon him he chose to do it.

The same way he could have equally played a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or what ever formation he wanted but he chose 3-5-2 without have any wing backs at the club, or playing 2 strikers up front when he had the chose of Wickham, Rhodes, Nuihu

Had he played 4-4-2 we could have had Palmer, Lees, Borner, Iorfa in a back four, which would have made for a lot more solid defense than the one that conceded 21 goals in 9 games. But the real issue is the complete lack of a championship quality keeper behind the defence again Monk choosing as he picks the team and decide not to play the championship quality keeper he has at his disposal as he does not like him. That ship has sail but he is still at the club and currently not been sold while he is here we may as well use him. 

• Like 1