Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

Just now, NorthernOwl said:

Are you seriously suggesting that chairmen don't take into consideration past sackings and why they happened when considering a managerial candidate?

Let me ask you the question - why don't ANY chairmen share your opinion on this and keep hiring managers who have been sacked previously?

Owlstalk Shop

19 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

We're seeing once again this strange phenomenon (much more prevalent these days it seems) for picking one side of a polarised debate almost totally lacking in nuance, and then obsessively denying, ignoring or mitigating every single atom of support for the opposite. It says much about the narcissism and superficiality of the modern world.

Somehow it has become almost impossible for the worst offenders to acknowledge anything remotely positive about the object of these campaigns, whether it be politics, religion, music, philosophy, sport or whatever. Most non-biased people would agree Monk keeping Swansea in the Premier League for a couple of seasons was fairly commendable or that he had made some good signings in the past that either helped his clubs improve or returned them large profits. But apparently it's not enough to point out limitations in some of these arguments, or conclude they are not enough to offset his recent performance, they have to be stamped angrily out of existence and those putting them forward branded heretics like something from a bygone century.

As Sherlock Holmes said, "...invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts".

Elementary my dear Mortimer...

37 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Mourinho has been sacked as well. In fact not many who havent

Yes and the fact hes had quite a few savings has definitely impacted his reputation. Where he was once considered an absolutely top tier manager that is no longer the case.

1 minute ago, NorthernOwl said:

Yes and the fact hes had quite a few savings has definitely impacted his reputation. Where he was once considered an absolutely top tier manager that is no longer the case.

But you must surely agree that if we appointed Mourinho you'd be wetting yourself with excitement about it? (we all would)

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Let me ask you the question - why don't ANY chairmen share your opinion on this and keep hiring managers who have been sacked previously?

I'm pretty sure at this stage you are purposely missing the point.

Of course you can be sacked and still be a good manager. Of course managers who have been sacked will still get job offers.

But it doesn't mean that it is irrelevant information. Chairmen will weigh up both the successes and failures of a manger and make a judgement call. 

I can't believe you would honestly think a chairmen will simply ignore all previous sackings a manger has had and dismiss it as irrelevant information. It doesn't mean they won't still offer that manager a job but its information that absolutely will be considered.

Just now, NorthernOwl said:

I'm pretty sure at this stage you are purposely missing the point.

Of course you can be sacked and still be a good manager. Of course managers who have been sacked will still get job offers.

But it doesn't mean that it is irrelevant information. Chairmen will weigh up both the successes and failures of a manger and make a judgement call. 

I agree

And I also am saying that managers who you think aren't very good who keep repeatedly getting sacked for all sorts of reasons are (very easily) re-employed by other chairmen

That's all

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But you must surely agree that if we appointed Mourinho you'd be wetting yourself with excitement about it? (we all would)

Of course I would. In the same way that a league 2 club might be wetting themselves if they appointed Monk.

5 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Of course I would. In the same way that a league 2 club might be wetting themselves if they appointed Monk.

Why though if they’ve been sacked repeatedly which (in your eyes) means they must be a bad manager?

Because they’ve managed at a much higher level?

Like The Premier League for example?

Or Europe?

Owlstalk Shop

24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He's always had money to cover his short comings though. He would be a disaster at our level of finance and club infrastructure.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

People including myself would be well up for the adventure tho

Would be an interesting proposition that's for sure to see how he would cope with limited tools in his toolbox.  If Monk had the money and club facilities that Mourinho has had over the years

I still reckon the end result would be the same. I admire you sticking up for Monk but still fail to see what is  his area of expertise and attraction as a manager.

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why though if they’ve been sacked repeatedly which (in your eyes) means they must be a bad manager?

Because they’ve managed at a much higher level?

Like The Premier League for example?

Or Europe?

Because Mourinho has had a huge level of success in his career and at the highest level. He has won numerous trophies including the champions league twice. All that counts in his favour.

It's called balance. Looking at both the successes and failures and giving appropriate weight to both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

It's not nonsense. Getting sacked after a few months because your teams performance has gone to pot is indeed evidence of poor management.

This isn’t Monks team tho.  As far as I’m concerned the jury is out on Monk. He came into a bag of s**t situation, on his own, no preseason. Big earners who weren’t pulling their weight, and poison in the dressing room. We all know it needs sorting. I can’t judge his ability on this season, not with the mess he inherited.

1 minute ago, doubleo said:

This isn’t Monks team tho.  As far as I’m concerned the jury is out on Monk. He came into a bag of s**t situation, on his own, no preseason. Big earners who weren’t pulling their weight, and poison in the dressing room. We all know it needs sorting. I can’t judge his ability on this season, not with the mess he inherited.

D310125A-029E-489E-BA04-F5D3EDE0E104.gif

Owlstalk Shop