Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

10 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

I think the 12 point deduction makes it difficult, but we gave Bruce £2 million a year so why not try and tempt someone.

As for lower leagues, I'd rather have Gareth Ainsworth than Monk, he's done an amazing job with Wycombe.

Look at the cowleys. We need a manager with alot of championship experience to get us through this preferably one thats worked under similar restrictions before. 

Its probably the reason Monk was and is still here.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Fallen at the first hurdle there then Mr Pearson

I honestly think that's part of the reason Bruce left truth be told, he alluded to things happening and Paxo being part of the fabric of the club.

Sadly there comes a point when you have to change your stance, you can't keep doing what has failed you and expect your luck to change.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What about the first half of the season?

If we're judging managers on half a season (as it seems the Monk Haters are) then let's judge Paul Cook on the first half of last season

Fair?

Good!

How did he do?

Results in the first half of the season were decent, never denied it. But to then follow it by having the worst second half of a season in decades is unacceptable. 

Your argument is like defending Alan Irvine and saying "well he won 5 of his first 7 matches so he must be good". 

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thanks to Garry Monk

Instead of childishly selecting a few words from my post, can you attempt to regain some credibility by answering the actual question?

Can you please explain how a midtable club having a points deduction which put them to lower midtable, and still had enough points to finish 12 points above the drop despite only winning 2 of the last 12 games makes "saving them from relegation" some sort of achievement?   

Just now, alanharper said:

a midtable club having a points deduction which put them to lower midtable, and still had enough points to finish 12 points above the drop 

Does this not show/prove Monk is a good manager?

9 points deducted

NINE POINTS taken off them and yet despite that and all the threat/pressure of that hanging over the club Monk STILL finished 12 points above the drop

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Decent?

We were third!

Yes. And in the second half we were second bottom.

So surely the only fair way to judge him would be to look at his entire record, yes? On average points gained per game, he has the worse record of any permanent manager since Eustace in 1989. Considering the dross we've had since then that's some going. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I honestly think that's part of the reason Bruce left truth be told, he alluded to things happening and Paxo being part of the fabric of the club.

Sadly there comes a point when you have to change your stance, you can't keep doing what has failed you and expect your luck to change.

Newcastle waving his big dream job under his nose may have influenced him.

What did he allude to?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yes. And in the second half we were second bottom.

So surely the only fair way to judge him would be to look at his entire record, yes? On average points gained per game, he has the worse record of any permanent manager since Eustace in 1989. Considering the dross we've had since then that's some going. 

It's almost like:

• Most of the first team squad was running out of contract and told they'd not be getting it renewed
  • Some of the most important first team players ran off before the end of the season
  • Covid meant a threadbare squad had to play a game every other day with no real recovery time
  • He didn't have his own coaching team at the club
  • Our first choice goalkeeper decided his was 'injured' (again)
  • There was a threat of relegation hanging over the club from the New Year till the last game of the season

etc etc etc

I could go on (there's lots lots more) but the Monk Haters will just pretend none of that happened and he should have won promotion regardless

Owlstalk Shop

Just had to delete a couple of personal attacks on me for having a different opinion to others

That's quite sad

Let's keep it non-personal and friendly please

We all have different opinions on things - no need to be making it personal at all

I can handle everyone piling on me with different views but let's keep it friendly here and not resort to personal attacks

Now - back to the TOPIC (any other posts / attacks will simply be deleted - let's keep it on topic please)

Garry Monk

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Newcastle waving his big dream job under his nose may have influenced him.

What did he allude to?  

Dream job that he previously turned down as well as having no problem whatsoever managing their rivals.

I was firmly Monk out, and still not convinced by a long long stretch 

But...:he is our manager, and isn’t going anywhere (unless Bournemouth poach him) 

I think we’ve got to try help him if he is the man to lead us forward, eg back room staff, players , budget etc 

I’m hoping he has learnt from some of mistakes from last season - and we can move on with a fresh young dynamic team 

• Like 1

Guest paulvcooke

Monk has not been a Premier League manager since 2015, does anyone think he'll be one again anytime soon or at all?

Or manage in Europe again anytime soon or ever again?

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk is the second-favourite with the bookmakers for the vacant Bournemouth job.

The Cherries parted company with Eddie Howe by mutual consent last week and are on the lookout for a new boss to spearhead their promotion push this season. 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

He's over just waiting to be sacked. Stop trying to 're write history. He's not got a great track record  before us. We have played a lot of at times horrible crap thus season. Our defence has parted so often Moses must be coaching them. He has shown nothing to have any hope of him turning things around. We just made a great attempt to get ourselves relegated. Our points deduction is likely to keep him in a job. Think about that we will need to win as many games as we can just to survive SURVIVE  and some of you want to give HIM the chance to do that! 

• Like 1