Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

3 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Somebody who knows how to be successful.

Like Bruce, Jokanovic or Hughton who have promotions on their CV.

Or someone like Paul Cook who has had success in the lower leagues, Chesterfield Promotion, Portsmouth League Two title, Wigan League on title.

I dont think the time is right for a first job for someone, I dont think we can do what Rangers did by getting Gerrard or Derby getting in Lampard a big name player looking for their first job!

Your obviously not going to get a manager that hasn't been sacked, but I dont want a manager that has had no success at 4 clubs and been sacked at 3 of them!

Those managers have been sacked before though mate so using your OWN criteria that makes them a bad manager/rules them out

PS - Garry Monk finished above Paul Cook last season

Paul Cook's first half to the season was as bad as Garry Monk's second half, so by Christmas you'd have had him sacked

So.....

Owlstalk Shop

Guest paulvcooke
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Except I did!?

With the answer you quoted in your last post?

Monk has not been a Premier League manager since 2015, do you think he'll be one again anytime soon?

Or manage in Europe again anytime soon? Genuine questions.

And, is it possible to put you on ignore?

2 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Or someone like Paul Cook who has had success in the lower leagues, Chesterfield Promotion, Portsmouth League Two title, Wigan League on title.

I dont think the time is right for a first job for someone, I dont think we can do what Rangers did by getting Gerrard or Derby getting in Lampard a big name player looking for their first job!

Your obviously not going to get a manager that hasn't been sacked, but I dont want a manager that has had no success at 4 clubs and been sacked at 3 of them!

To be fair most managers we could get wont have had success in this division or higher. If you want success and you look lower down the leagues then that comes with the fact they haven't managed at championship level. 

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

To be fair most managers we could get wont have had success in this division or higher. If you want success and you look lower down the leagues then that comes with the fact they haven't managed at championship level. 

Same applies to Premier League clubs and managers at Premier League level

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Those managers have been sacked before though mate so using your OWN criteria that makes them a bad manager/rules them out

Paul Cook's first half to the season was as bad as Garry Monk's second half, so by Christmas you'd have had him sacked

So.....

Clearly you've not read any of my posts properly.

Manager who get sacked are not always bad managers.

However managers that have been sacked from 3 out of 4 clubs, have had no success at any of the four clubs previous, and go through a pathetic run of results and performnaces as we have are bad managers!

And Monk only finished above Cook because Wigan got a 12 point deduction!

Cook also has 2 league titles and a promotion on his CV, Monk doesn't!

Neil, you forgot to give an evasive or childish response to my question:

Can you please explain how a midtable club having a points deduction which put them to lower midtable, and still had enough points to finish 12 points above the drop despite only winning 2 of the last 12 games makes "saving them from relegation" some sort of achievement?   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So in this thread I've merely posted that Garry Monk

• Hasn't got a coaching structure of his own
  • Had many of the first team players about to be out of contract last season
  • Hasn't had a pre-season with the team
  • Had a few players 'injured' during the season
  • Finished above Paul Cook last season
  • Has managed in the Premier League
  • Has managed in Europe
  • Has saved a club from a 9 point deduction before so has experience of this current situation
  • Got us to third in the league during the first half of the season

All of which has been simply denied as though it wasn't true or none of it happened

Yet the Monk Outers have jumped on me, made stuff up, lied and created fairytale scenarios 

Why can't they just discuss with facts?

If the Monk Haters stuck to absolute facts and didn't deny/try to pretend stuff happened when it did we could have a mature adult debate where I could be convinced that maybe he's not the man for the job?

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I think the 12 point deduction makes it difficult, but we gave Bruce £2 million a year so why not try and tempt someone.

As for lower leagues, I'd rather have Gareth Ainsworth than Monk, he's done an amazing job with Wycombe.

3 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Can you please explain how a midtable club having a points deduction which put them to lower midtable, and still had enough points to finish 12 points above the drop despite only winning 2 of the last 12 games makes "saving them from relegation" some sort of achievement?   

Did they get relegated after their 9 point deduction?

1) YES

2)  NO

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Bruce, Jokanovic, Hughton or Pearson would be a 100% improvement on what we have currently.

For me Jokanovic has always been my first choice, sadly there is zero chance of him leaving his mega money number and coming here.

Pearson would be the next ideal candidate and I firmly believe with the right assurances he would jump at the chance. 

• Like 1

Guest paulvcooke
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

• Has managed in Europe
  • Has saved a club from a 9 point deduction before so has experience of this current situation

All of which has been simply denied as though it wasn't true or none of it happened

Yet the Monk Outers have jumped on me, made stuff up, lied and created fairytale scenarios 

If the Monk Haters stuck to absolute facts and didn't deny/try to pretend stuff happened when it did we could have a mature adult debate where I could be convinced that maybe he's not the man for the job?

Monk has not been a Premier League manager since 2015, do you think he'll be one again anytime soon?

Or manage in Europe again anytime soon? Genuine questions.

And, is it possible to put you on ignore?

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So.....

Already answered this, so it's proof that you only believe what you want to, but to repeat myself:

Cook/Wigan gained more points on the pitch than Monk/Wednesday did, had a goal differnce which was +9 better, and Cook's record in the first half of the season was better than Monk's was in the second. If Monk had got as many points in the second half as Cook did in the first, we'd have finished 3 places higher. 

Just now, alanharper said:

Cook's record in the first half of the season was better than Monk's was in the second.

What about the first half of the season?

If we're judging managers on half a season (as it seems the Monk Haters are) then let's judge Paul Cook on the first half of last season

Fair?

Good!

How did he do?

Owlstalk Shop

Did they get relegated after their 9 point deduction?

1) YES

2)  NO

And based on the facts, which are

A midtable club had a points deduction in March which put them to lower midtable, and still had enough points to finish 12 points above the drop despite only winning 2 of the last 12 games

Does that make "saving them from relegation" some sort of badge of honour on a managerial CV?

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

• Has managed in Europe

17 points from 69.

4 wins in 23.

46 goals conceded in 23 games.

All facts.

Despite all that, if he had sucess at a previous club I could give him more time, but here are some more facts.

Promotions 0

playoff campaigns 0

Swansea 1 good season then sacked

Middlesbrough spent £50million midtable then sacked

Birmingham would have finished 15th then sacked

Wednesday finished 16th after been 3rd at xmas.

And regardless of what you have put i think those three facts means he should be sacked.

That's my opinion.

Your entitled to yours, I just think your argument that he's managed in the premier league and europe (for 2 games) is a poor argument for keeping him!

I guess next season we will see who is right, I hope it's you!

Edited by jonnyowl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What assurances do you think he would need?

I don't think it would take to much at all.

I think he would want full control over 1st team affairs such as recruitment.

I think he would like his own backroom  team in place.

I believe a tidy bonus on promotion would be a deal clincher.

What I can't fault Chasiri for is he backs his managers and Pearson would thrive under that.

He is destined to be our manager one day and I honestly think the time is now.