Gary Monk

Guest The Claw

25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Here's a CV for you.. Managed in the Premier League, Managed in Europe, Managed to save a team from getting relegated despite a 9 point deduction.

Managed in Premier League - 1 decent season, sacked 3 months into following season after 1  win in 11.

Managed in Europe - Laudrup got Swansea into Europa League. Monk managed them for 2 matches, lost both and knocked out.

Managed to save a team from getting relegated despite a 9 point deduction. - Really are clutching at straws with this one. The 9 point deduction was meaningless because the bottom 3 teams were so far adrift it didn't matter. Birmingham were never in danger and finished 17th despite after the points deduction Monk only motivating them to win 2 of their last 12 matches. He didn't 'save them'. They would have finished 15th without the deduction.

Since that first season in 2014-15 with Swansea and finishing 8th which yes was a good season, his managerial career has definitely year on year taken a downward path.

• Like 2

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Why did Carlos?
Why did Steve Bruce at his other clubs?
Mourihno?
etc etc

Using 'sackings' as some kind of way to gauge a manager isn't just naive, it's really REALLY stupid

They got sacked because of a poor run of results!

And I agree it would be stupid, if we sacked a manager that had achieved success in the past!

Unfortunately for your argument, Monk has never achieved anything as a manager and been sacked from 3 of his previous 4 jobs!

I think you can interpret Monk's standing as a manager by seeing that once someone thought he was good enough to manage in the premiership. But since then, no one else has.

However, a number of people have thought that he is good enough to manage in the Championship.

• Like 1

Just now, jonnyowl said:

They got sacked because of a poor run of results!

And I agree it would be stupid, if we sacked a manager that had achieved success in the past!

Unfortunately for your argument, Monk has never achieved anything as a manager and been sacked from 3 of his previous 4 jobs!

You're still doing the 'sackings' thing as a way to judge a manager

How naive

How very very naive

Owlstalk Shop

Guest paulvcooke
4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Eh?

That doesn't mean he's not managed in the Premier League?

No it does not, but he's had one job in the Premier League and the rest of his career outside it, At this time, the Premier League part of his career is looking like the exception rather than the norm for Mr Monk. He started at the top and is slowing dropping down, a career path that quite a few managers (and players) have taken.

And I'll ask you again, Monk has not been a Premier League manager since 2015, do you think he'll be one again anytime soon?

Or manage in Europe again anytime soon? Genuine questions.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

You're still doing the 'sackings' thing as a way to judge a manager

How naive

How very very naive

Yes I am and its not naive, its facts he was sacked at previous clubs because results weren't good enough, or why else would they sack him.

He didn't achieve anything at those clubs, what makes you think he will do it here?

So yes then - I'm bang on the money

Managed in Premier League - FACT

Managed in Europe - FACT

Managed to save a team from getting relegated despite a 9 point deduction - FACT

Promotions 0 Fact

Playoff campaigns 0 Fact

Swansea Sacked Fact

Middlesbrough Sacked Fact

Birmingham Sacked Fact.

See I can do facts too!

Just now, jonnyowl said:

Still can't accept he's achieved nothing in his managerial career!

Naive!

Put together what rules managers out of the Wednesday job in your eyes

You know

Like having been sacked before etc

Let's see if we can identify the best manager to replace Monk using your criteria

Owlstalk Shop

Guest paulvcooke

Still clinging to the sackings thing?

lol

Naive

No he's sticking to facts, just like you are. It's just his facts don't suit your agenda.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

1) We appointed Bruce

2) Here's a CV for you.. Managed in the Premier League, Managed in Europe, Managed to save a team from getting relegated despite a 9 point deduction.

I think YOU would have hired someone with that CV

Stop pretending otherwise to try and win a debate - it's poor form

Can you compare what happened at Birmingham to out circumstances.

They got the case and hearing finished in a few months, got deducted points but were still 4 points above the bottom 3 with a better goal difference, then Monk's team manager to take just 11 points from their final 8 games and finished 12 points above the relegation zone though that season 40 points with a goal difference of -30 would have kept you up. So effectively after their point deduction reducing them to 41 points they were already safe.

I think you can agree Birmingham are the only club to get a point deduction because of losses, but the two cases and handling of the case is completely different.

I still honestly think if Monk had managed to get more than the 8 points from 9 games and get us at least 12 points clear of the drop zone, the points would have come off us this past season, it was the teams poor showing in the last 9 games that that has led to us starting next season on -12 the team and the manager have to take equal responsivity for this.

• Like 2

Guest paulvcooke
7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So he's managed in the Premier League then

Not many managers out there can say that.

That's not true, there are plenty have managers who have managed in the Premier League never to return. I'm sure you can find plenty of examples, if you want.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I think you can agree Birmingham are the only club to get a point deduction because of losses, but the two cases and handling of the case is completely different.

So now you're trying to deny Garry Monk saved a club from relegation that had a 9 point deduction because of the 'handling of the case'?

Aye...

ALREYT

Get back to bed you lunatic

lol

Owlstalk Shop