Charlie Goode, Alfie Doughty

Two players worth a look at, Charlie Goode (Northampton Town), 6ft 5in defender with a huge throw, outstanding in their play off win. Alfie Doughty, left footed wide attacker with Charlton, impressive against us, quick and delivers a good cross. Thoughts?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bobbycraig said:

Two players worth a look at, Charlie Goode (Northampton Town), 6ft 5in defender with a huge throw, outstanding in their play off win. Alfie Doughty, left footed wide attacker with Charlton, impressive against us, quick and delivers a good cross. Thoughts?

Not telling you. I'm already being blamed for Jordan Rhodes - I'm not having another expensive calamity thrown back in my face. 

Edited by rickygoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Bob Bolder's gone hasn't he?

Hmm, all time great Charlton team:-

1. Bob Bolder

2. Rys Wiggins

3. Morgan Fox

4. Jose Semedo

5. Peter Shirtliff

6. Magic Boughera

7. Steve Mackenzie

8. Gordon Watson

9. John Pearson

10. Mark Bright

11. Paul Williams 

I'd have any of them though Steve Mackenzie is probably getting on a bit. 

I've just remembered that ******** Bowyer is their manager and all my guilt about the situation evaporated instantly 

Edited by George
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, bobbycraig said:

Luton after doughty

27 minutes ago, George said:

Hmm, all time great Charlton team:-

1. Bob Bolder

2. Rys Wiggins

3. Morgan Fox

4. Jose Semedo

5. Peter Shirtliff

6. Magic Boughera

7. Steve Mackenzie

8. Gordon Watson

9. John Pearson

10. Mark Bright

11. Paul Williams 

I'd have any of them though Steve Mackenzie is probably getting on a bit. 

I've just remembered that ******** Bowyer is their manager and all my guilt about the situation evaporated instantly 

Paolo Di Canio couldn't get into that team?

:ohmy:

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Paolo Di Canio couldn't get into that team?

:ohmy:

No.

If he could then he'd be in there. 

But he's not so clearly not as good as Gordon Watson or Rhys Wiggins.

In no way was his omission anything to do with my forgetting he had had a brief stint at Charlton.

Edited by George
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bobbycraig said:

At least the sound like footballers.

If we’re reverting back to four at the back, do we have room for another centre back, unless one is leaving The only defensive vacancy we have is left back, and coincidentally, left back is the only defensive position we’ve been linked with

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If we’re reverting back to four at the back, do we have room for another centre back, unless one is leaving The only defensive vacancy we have is left back, and coincidentally, left back is the only defensive position we’ve been linked with

Are we only having a starting eleven next season then?

• Like 1

Just now, Ian said:

Are we only having a starting eleven next season then?

It’s always a starting eleven, but going on a squad that has two players for every position, we don’t currently have a vacancy for a centre back, as we have 4. We may revert to 3 at the back, and then we would need a centre back. On the basis of the players we’ve been linked with, it looks like a back four

2 hours ago, markg said:

Can't see Charlton selling to us some how 🙂

If they don't sort their off the pitch usual stuff out soon he will be a free agent anyway when they get thrown out of the league.

Funny they can threaten legal action but can't prove ownership or funds. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

It’s always a starting eleven, but going on a squad that has two players for every position, we don’t currently have a vacancy for a centre back, as we have 4. We may revert to 3 at the back, and then we would need a centre back. On the basis of the players we’ve been linked with, it looks like a back four

I’m pretty sure no squad ever, at any level, in te history of football, has an even “2 players for every position”

For a start many players can play in a number of positions.....add to that teams can employ tactics with differing numbers of positions, sometimes in the same game.

best example is goalkeepers...nearly every “squad” has at least 3

You can add to that, the nest way to improve a squad is not to create a “vacancy” and then look to fill it.....but to improve on what you have and then, and only then, release the weakest link 

This is real football, not champ manager 

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian said:

I’m pretty sure no squad ever, at any level, in te history of football, has an even “2 players for every position”

For a start many players can play in a number of positions.....add to that teams can employ tactics with differing numbers of positions, sometimes in the same game.

best example is goalkeepers...nearly every “squad” has at least 3

You can add to that, the nest way to improve a squad is not to create a “vacancy” and then look to fill it.....but to improve on what you have and then, and only then, release the weakest link 

This is real football, not champ manager 

That’s true, and the more players who can cover several positions the better. However, plenty on here bemoan our unbalanced squad, so we do need to avoid overloading certain areas, while ignoring others