153 years

Can understand the apathy, but I can't disconnect with the Club.

I think we are in a fork in the road right now.  Left, he goes full on down the same path (which may bring success, who knows) or he goes right and caves in and starts looking at Hillsborough as his(family) return on his splurge.

For me, losing Hillsborough is the worst offence he could have committed, way beyond the points deduction (which is very bad).   That's our family home.  It's not just a stadium.   And I know, he owns the club and the stadium and it's no different etc.  It's no different for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mdogg20 said:

153 years and we have never had a points deduction, its embarrassing to me and should be mortifyingly to the club owner who's watch it happened under.

I withdrew my sponsorship of the club a year ago because I hadn't been happy with our direction as a club for a few years (and football's direction in general).

I felt my contribution wasn't appreciated and rather than going to every away game I only went to select ones last season as I felt like I was taken for granted by the club and players.

I have had an apathy about our club for the last few years, after buying into the new ethos of a long season ticket bundle I now have only one season left of my season ticket before I have a choice to make again. 

I haven't missed football over lockdown and had little interest in watching our matches on the tv as it was more of the same apathy.

If the deduction stands our owner has to humbly apologize to all fans as the buck stops with him and the only thing that will fix this is putting an arm around fans, making a connection with the fans and winning football. 

Awaits crying baby meme...

• Haha 1

IMO Having players who took bribes to throw games was worse - not happened to any other club

Sacking a bloke who was our best ever player on Christmas Eve and alienating him so much he aligned himself with our fiercest rival - not sure any other club has done that

Having 96 fans die in our stadium was worse - not happened to any other club in UK

Losing in the last minute of an FA Cup final replay against a thuggish side without selling our allocation - not happened to any other club

Inexperienced ill advised owner getting things wrong on and off the pitch - fairly common these days. 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

IMO Having players who took bribes to throw games was worse - not happened to any other club

Having 96 fans die in our stadium was worse - not happened to any other club in UK

Losing in the last minute of an FA Cup final replay against a thuggish side without selling our allocation - not happened to any other club

Inexperienced ill advised owner getting things wrong on and off the pitch - fairly common these days. 

Burnden park 1946

24 minutes ago, heppers said:

I feel the same. I think football in general has lost its appeal to me but the club is a shambles and I am indifferent. I enjoy Owlstalk for the laughs but SWFC have lost my interest and respect.

Me too. Been a home and away fan for fifty years but this last season has done for me. Used to go with my brothers and mates but one by one they’ve dropped off. Still love the days out with my mates but getting to the point where I would rather have a day out without the inconvenience of sitting cold and bored for two hours between the laughs and drinking. Although this season it hasn’t always been two hours as we’ve been back in the pub by half time. I don’t think the football “ industry “ appreciates the impact Covid will ultimately have. Footballs a habit but in six months people change their habits. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Having players who took bribes to throw games was worse - not happened to any other club

That's false though isn't it?

People are entitled to their opinion, but don't post opinion as fact.   Educate yourself (https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/446095/Match-fixers-shames-the-beautiful-game) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_British_football_match-fixing_scandal).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

A tragedy for each person, their family and their friends but in terms of numbers, Hillsborough 1989 was worse than Burnden, Ibrox and Bradford.

I knew what you meant, I was just being pedantic, I thought it's what you had to do on here lol

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Me too. Been a home and away fan for fifty years but this last season has done for me. Used to go with my brothers and mates but one by one they’ve dropped off. Still love the days out with my mates but getting to the point where I would rather have a day out without the inconvenience of sitting cold and bored for two hours between the laughs and drinking. Although this season it hasn’t always been two hours as we’ve been back in the pub by half time. I don’t think the football “ industry “ appreciates the impact Covid will ultimately have. Footballs a habit but in six months people change their habits. 

it's the same whatever your passion was, once you give in for a prolonged period you can lose interest and think where did i get the time to do that from?

dc took this massive risk when he hiked potd prices up, by now the potd brigade have been priced out of hillsborough for half a decade, and with pigball going well on the other side of the city getting them back, along with new younger support will be very difficult.

we need dynamic attacking football, and reduced gate prices, not sure we'll get either.

but with covid 19 still to play it's hand fully, who knows if football will kick a ball seriously again, and if so how many teams will survive? and how?

5 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Roger I have to take issue with that. 
1. the bribes. If you research it you will find what they did was fairly common practice at the time. They were made an example of.

2. Dooley. No one can defend the timing but it needed doing. Just reading the superb “ our lowest ebb” and if anyone is honest Dooley should never have been given the job

3. I’m not even going to dignify that. 
4. so no other team has conceded a late goal in an important game. Thank fizz I’m not a Bayern Munich fan.

im as pissed off as anyone but that’s beyond ridiculous 

what they did was wrong in the face of league rules.

what they did was a disgrace to sheffield wednesday and it's fans.

when they returned to football, it should have been NOT to wear the shirt they disgraced. 

but it's up to each and every individual to have their own feelings on the matter.

as for dooley, he should never have been appointed, as he was he should have been sacked a good month earlier.

26 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Sacking a bloke who was our best ever player on Christmas Eve and alienating him so much he aligned himself with our fiercest rival - not sure any other club has done that

What a load of tosh.  Bribes were common place in the 60's, the authorities just went to town on Wednesday because of the high profile players we had who were involved.  

I prefaced what I said with IMO so am more than happy to have folks disagree. What I’ve referred to are things that cast a shadow over our beloved club ...

The bribes - do you think I didn’t like those players?

Dooley? Well I watched that team regularly so the sack wasn’t a surprise but it could have been handled differently.
The disaster we are now synonymous with however the blame for it is apportioned

Wembley - am as guilty as anyone for being on holiday at that point but the empty seats (strangely) still bother me more than Mark brights sitter

..... and all of them bother me more than DC failing in a gamble to do what Other clubs have done and got away with. 

53 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

They didn't take bribes...they placed bets on Ipswich to win.

• Like 1

I still live and breathe everything that goes off down at S6. If we lose a match I'm grumpy for days after (been awfully grumpy a lot recently).

After whats happened in the last few days I'm actually embarrassed to say I support Sheffield Wednesday.

With his sheer bloody incompetence Chansiri has brought a great shame on this grand old club of ours and he wont be getting a penny of my hard earned cash until he has cleared off back to Thailand and away from our club for ever.

The only way we can get him out of the club is to deny him funding. The fanbase needs to act to facilitate this.

Chansiri isnt Wednesday and whatever state he leaves the club in somebody will come in & pick up the pieces and we will move forward again.

As soon as the ticket money & shirt sales dry up he will get the message pretty quickly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2