James Garner

22 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If Bournemouth and Swansea come knocking are you going to send your player to a well run organised football club or to our basket case sitting on -12 points? 

Well thats 2 , what about the rest ?

What difference does it make to a loan club/player we are on -12 ?

Surely its playing time they require

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
10 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Personally I think we need a bit of a hard nut in defensive midfield and a player with leadership abilities.

If we are going for some young players, I’d rather them be further up the pitch. 

I agree. Having signed FDB, I'd rather sign someone like Morsy than Garner. With Hunt, Shaw, and FDB, plenty of youth in the middle of the park already. Balance it out with an orthodox anchor, a leader. 

Read this on the Derby forum last week about young PL loans to the championship which I thought was interesting, so if this is the case we will struggle to get someone like Garner:

"In all seriousness though Swansea's situation was a bit like Lampard having the Chelsea kids last season. Only reason Swansea got Woodman, Gallagher, Guehi, Brewster and Wilmot is because Cooper had coached them all at England youth level at some point or another.

I think you're lucky to get a young loan from the Premier League who ends up a key player for you if you aren't a parachute club or find yourself in a scenario like the ones above, the good ones are usually hoovered up by them i.e. WBA (Diangana, who we were supposedly after) or Fulham (Reed). Then you have Leeds who had Bielsa as a draw to get White and Nketiah.

Outside of those lads have there been any key performers from Prem youngsters on loan in the Champ? Maybe Dowell at Wigan and Adarabioyo at Blackburn but you could also argue proximity to their parent club played a role in those signings."

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

We had no chance unfortunately. The best kids will be snapped up by Bournemouth and Swansea first.

Swansea are ballbagged financially, they won't be making many signings with high wages or transfer fees in the next few seasons 

https://swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/wheres-the-money-gone-not-to-d-c-united-financial-accounts-paint-a-bleak-picture/

31 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Personally I think we need a bit of a hard nut in defensive midfield and a player with leadership abilities.

If we are going for some young players, I’d rather them be further up the pitch. 

Very good point. We are crying out for a hard man in the centre of the park, a leader. It’s great having younger players as long as they are ready for a tough season in the Championship, but we also need some experience. 

19 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I agree. Having signed FDB, I'd rather sign someone like Morsy than Garner. With Hunt, Shaw, and FDB, plenty of youth in the middle of the park already. Balance it out with an orthodox anchor, a leader. 

Can understand your thinking. We are absolutely crying out for some leaders in the team. But beggars can’t be choosers and the likes of Morsy will cost a fee. Then there’s the issue with more experienced, proven players wanting longer contracts. Can we really afford to go down that route again?

Monk really needs to get creative this summer.

11 minutes ago, Birstall Owl said:

Read this on the Derby forum last week about young PL loans to the championship which I thought was interesting, so if this is the case we will struggle to get someone like Garner:

"In all seriousness though Swansea's situation was a bit like Lampard having the Chelsea kids last season. Only reason Swansea got Woodman, Gallagher, Guehi, Brewster and Wilmot is because Cooper had coached them all at England youth level at some point or another.

I think you're lucky to get a young loan from the Premier League who ends up a key player for you if you aren't a parachute club or find yourself in a scenario like the ones above, the good ones are usually hoovered up by them i.e. WBA (Diangana, who we were supposedly after) or Fulham (Reed). Then you have Leeds who had Bielsa as a draw to get White and Nketiah.

Outside of those lads have there been any key performers from Prem youngsters on loan in the Champ? Maybe Dowell at Wigan and Adarabioyo at Blackburn but you could also argue proximity to their parent club played a role in those signings."

Interesting. Swansea had Woodman, Gallagher, Brewster and Guehi on loan last year and still struggled to reach the top 6. (What might we have done with the same crop of youngsters?). 

The article above about Swansea's finances was before they sold Daniel James and Ollie McBurnie for shedloads. They also had about 45 million of parachute money but still didn't spend much on transfers. They'll be even more penny-pinching now their parachute money will drop to about 35 million - 10 million less than last year. Will they be so lucky again with their choice of young loan players?

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

We will be in the bottom several teams in the line to get these players sadly. 

Fair point but why have some people clicked LIKE on this comment? :duntmatter:

I don't like this one little bit whether it is right or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Birstall Owl said:

I’ve said that on here many times before and the only response I tend to get is “rubbish, it’s all about who pays the most to get the loan player”.  

So I have stopped posting it. 

49 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Fair point but why have some people clicked LIKE on this comment? :duntmatter:

I don't like this one little bit whether it is right or not. 

Well one shining light is quite often they end up flopping anyway. I mean Nketiah was £3M for 6 months at Leeds and he didn't make the impact needed. Though we are all wanting the top prem youngsters it doesn't mean success at the cost. Trying to be positive today. 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Very good point. We are crying out for a hard man in the centre of the park, a leader. It’s great having younger players as long as they are ready for a tough season in the Championship, but we also need some experience. 

We need playmaker who knows what he is doing infront of our back 3/4 or we will continue to gift ball to opposition when ever our back line get pressed by opposition. It is biggest problem we had last couple of season and it needs sorting out quickly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the monk said:

Well thats 2 , what about the rest ?

What difference does it make to a loan club/player we are on -12 ?

Surely its playing time they require

Playing time in the right environment. You think they just send them off to any old club?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Unfortunately we are now the last club a lot of Premier League clubs will want to loan there better young players too. 

Not so sure! Alot go to league 1 clubs, not only that the reason they get sent out on loan is for experience! If they want to see how they go in a relegation battle and test their resolve and commitment then we are the team to be at! 

• Like 1