Recruitment Strategy

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

Our strategy needs to start with foooking off any third party Portuguese influence on any future signings.

In addition, it then needs to free of any Chairman/son interference on player decisions.

While we are at it, no more final big pay days for crocks. We aren't a charity for half a season millionaires like Hooper and Fletcher.

Finally, it should be free of all petty emotion and pride. If we get a good offer for a player, and we can replace them cost effectively, then we sell. None of this family shiite malarkey. Likewise less of this banishing players, particularly promising young ones. Happens too many times and points to one man.

Has to be the starting point for any strategies.

The truth is, we don’t know who is responsible for identifying There has been a shift in our recruitment policy these last couple of years, with the arrival of some fairly good value players, Hector, Iorfa, Borner, Murphy etc. The initial plan was to go all out to achieve promotion in 2-3 years, by recruiting experienced players. We failed narrowly in that objective. We may have pulled it off, had we had a more targeted approach, quality over quantity. Too many expensive peripheral players were signed. 
Anyway, it looks as if we are now taking a more sustainable approach to recruitment, so I don’t think it’s fair to point the finger at Paxo

• Like 3

7 hours ago, scram said:

We don't get first dibs on the best 

Thats how it is

Obviously we may get lucky on a player that isn't so rated by his parent club but goes on to be a surprise

But its no recruitment strategy

With Chansiri's money and first team football to offer we can get some of the best of those that are not ready for Premiership football right now and are sick and tired of waiting for a chance to play. 

Good players with experience of Championship football are expensive and those young enough to have resale value cost "arm and leg". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, malek said:

With Chansiri's money and first team football to offer we can get some of the best of those that are not ready for Premiership football right now and are sick and tired of waiting for a chance to play. 

Good players with experience of Championship football are expensive and those young enough to have resale value cost "arm and leg". 

I’d also not be opposed to trying to grab a bargain or two from the lower leagues. I think there were a few that were released season before that have shone in lower leagues last term. Assuming league one have no crowds I can’t see how they survive without selling a few that normally they keep hold of. 

I’d also like us to look to Wigan for a few. I think Moore likely going to Cardiff now and I bet he does well there. Attractive football is great, but can’t deny the effectiveness of a giant upfront. Valuable in so many ways! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I’d also not be opposed to trying to grab a bargain or two from the lower leagues. I think there were a few that were released season before that have shone in lower leagues last term. Assuming league one have no crowds I can’t see how they survive without selling a few that normally they keep hold of. 

I’d also like us to look to Wigan for a few. I think Moore likely going to Cardiff now and I bet he does well there. Attractive football is great, but can’t deny the effectiveness of a giant upfront. Valuable in so many ways! 

Key principe is that with FFP in place you need to generate funds in order to spend. 

• Like 2

The recruitment hasn't been the main issue. Yes we had one stinking window that set us back, but the main issue has been not cashing in when good players and in good form. 

FF, Reach, Bannan, Lees, Westwood

We missed out on 30million on fees and got stuck with unmotivated players (Bannan apart who is still vital to the team) 

Joao sale highlights we may be learning, and the recruiting of a few younger players too won't hurt, but the bigger lesson is when to cash in

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

The recruitment hasn't been the main issue. Yes we had one stinking window that set us back, but the main issue has been not cashing in when good players and in good form. 

FF, Reach, Bannan, Lees, Westwood

We missed out on 30million on fees and got stuck with unmotivated players (Bannan apart who is still vital to the team) 

Joao sale highlights we may be learning, and the recruiting of a few younger players too won't hurt, but the bigger lesson is when to cash in

Absolutely this - In the championship it's not about recontracting players over and over and letting them fleece you whilst deteriorating in value. We should not have any players recontracting on 20K plus after coming in, usually with a point to prove and then 'proving their worth'. In taht group will be players that have been great for us, but we shouldn't go broke keeping Westwood, Bannan, Lees, Hutchinson, Forrestieri etc. Instead once proven, if their stock is so high as to command these mega salaries they get sold and we look for the next Westwood, Bannan, Lees.... 

Keiran Lee & Nuhiu are exceptions to the above, as my understanding is that they recontracted on modest salaries by comparison. 

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 18:16, gurujuan said:

The truth is, we don’t know who is responsible for identifying There has been a shift in our recruitment policy these last couple of years, with the arrival of some fairly good value players, Hector, Iorfa, Borner, Murphy etc. The initial plan was to go all out to achieve promotion in 2-3 years, by recruiting experienced players. We failed narrowly in that objective. We may have pulled it off, had we had a more targeted approach, quality over quantity. Too many expensive peripheral players were signed. 
Anyway, it looks as if we are now taking a more sustainable approach to recruitment, so I don’t think it’s fair to point the finger at Paxo

Why not, Bruce did.

2 hours ago, dorian gray said:

we had a strategy, sh*torbust.

I've worked with some tinpot sporting establishments in my time and even they had a signed off 1 year, 3 year and 5 year+ strategy / road map signed off.

Chansiri is 100% reactive to past decisions, nothing measured or proactive about him or his 'team' of staff

• Thanks 1

On 02/08/2020 at 22:24, catdog1121 said:

I agree I mean what are the chances that Man City missed this diamond in the rough and at 19?  At 16-17 yes I could see it...  The worrying thing is as well we paid money for the lad.  I really hope he turns out to be great but I really dont trust Monk to be able to build a team.

David Brooks?  Jadon Sancho?

6 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

https://www.sport.co.uk/news/arsenals-latest-batch-of-forgotten-youngsters-who-have-flourished-elsewhere/716959/

Interesting to see just how many young players from one academy can find success elsewhere. 

Let’s hope Josh Dawodu joins the list. Did we get Simek from Arsenal back in the day? Others I can remember Sanchez Watt and Andy Douglas, never really shined