Recruitment Strategy

For most of the last 5 or 6 years of DC's reign as owner, we have signed in the main proven championship players aged 25-30+. It's a strategy that almost paid off but unfortunately we have come up short.

I think most of us would agree it's time for a change of approach and with the signing of FDB and the links to other young players, it looks like this might be happening but is this a false dawn or is this a policy along with the opportunities given to our own young players that we are going to see through?

3 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

We could start by deciding to have a strategy! 

Exactly. We haven’t had a strategy it’s basically ‘What about his chap? How much can we afford to pay him’ Oh well, not to worry he proved to be sheet. Let’s sell the stadium.

• Like 1

Need to have a mixture of youth and experience.

Its no good signing the whole of Man City's under 21 team, expecting them to get 60+ points in the Championship, and then realising that they lost in the Checkatrade Trophy to Bolton and Scunthorpe. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Chansiri's wealth and our rich history could enable us to bring in some of the best youngsters deemed not good enough to play Premiership football right now and tired of waiting for their chance at that level. 

It is a risky squad building strateg but one I believe we must take. And one that would require us to invest in couple of best scouts that we can afford to bring in. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, malek said:

Chansiri's wealth and our rich history could enable us to bring in some of the best youngsters deemed not good enough to play Premiership football right now and tired of waiting for their chance at that level. 

It is a risky squad building strateg but one I believe we must take. And one that would require us to invest in couple of best scouts that we can afford to bring in. 

Douglas and Baden?

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

We could also soon find that signing young players on loan gets us relegated.

We signed some stinkers - step forward JVA and Almen, but some were gems - Bannan, Hooper, Fletcher, Iorfa. 

Hooper cost a fair bit, was injured more than he played and left for nothing. 

Good player but certainly not a gem of a signing. Same category as FF. 

• Like 1

We have experience in our squad with Lees, Borner and Bannan (I haven’t included Westwood and Rhodes as it seems they’re surplus to requirements under the current structure). Add to that list the likes of Iorfa, Palmer, Odubajo, Luongo, Reach and Harris all of whom have at least 2-3 seasons of Championship football and in terms of league experience we have plenty. I’ll argue we are probably short on one vocal leader in the team, someone to hand the captaincy too.

What we need right now is pace, power and strength, especially up front. If that comes in the form of loanees or similar deals to Dele-Bashiru then I’m all for that I’m not expecting miracles next season, just to avoid relegation would be a huge success. If we can add value to a few of our younger players values and vuild

kn that then great.

Guest Therealrealist
12 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Our strategy for 5 years has been to fund certain agents and organisations in my opinion.

And they are all still here and we are still doin the same....in my opinion..allegedly

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We could also soon find that signing young players on loan gets us relegated.

We signed some stinkers - step forward JVA and Almen, but some were gems - Bannan, Hooper, Fletcher, Iorfa. 

I agree that Hooper and Fletcher were good players when they did play for us. But would say for the amount we got out of them for the reported money they cost overall were not great signings. We have had far worse recently though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

Need to have a mixture of youth and experience.

Its no good signing the whole of Man City's under 21 team, expecting them to get 60+ points in the Championship, and then realising that they lost in the Checkatrade Trophy to Bolton and Scunthorpe. 

I wish more people would realise this

A good product of a high end academy invariably is not playing u23 games at 19/20

There are loads who will never play championship as a career and its bizarre to think that just because a player comes from city or Chelsea they are bound for glory. 

Most players in both those academies will not play their careers in the top 2 divisions

Non league teams are brimming with players who played in decent academies. 

And ultimately its a flawed strategy because those players move on and have to be replaced - hitting on one gem is hard enough but then having to replace them with another?

I'm not saying never have loan players but I think fans need to be a lot more realistic about it. 

Edited by scram
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scram said:

I wish more people would realise this

A good product of a high end academy invariably is not playing u23 games at 19/20

There are loads who will never play championship as a career and its bizarre to think that just because a player comes from city or Chelsea they are bound for glory. 

Most players in both those academies will not play their careers in the top 2 divisions

Non league teams are brimming with players who played in decent academies. 

And ultimately its a flawed strategy because those players move on and have to be replaced - hitting on one gem is hard enough but then having to replace them with another?

I'm not saying never have loan players but I think fans need to be a lot more realistic about it. 

I agree I mean what are the chances that Man City missed this diamond in the rough and at 19?  At 16-17 yes I could see it...  The worrying thing is as well we paid money for the lad.  I really hope he turns out to be great but I really dont trust Monk to be able to build a team.

• Like 2