Take the hit..Take the high ground

27 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I’ll say it again, who is going to want to join a sinking ship??

It’s been said on a different thread but in the current climate there are clubs reducing costs and having smaller squads. There might just be a few more players around and not so many suitors. If you’re looking for a job sometimes you have to take what’s on offer 💁‍♂️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

The thing is league one might not even start next season. 

This is reality, I don't see how clubs in the third and fourth tiers can survive. Even some clubs in this league. Even if fans are allowed to return, it will be reduced, and some fans might just not bother anyway. No fans, no catering or shop sales.

I'm glad we avoided relegation. It will be a struggle but not impossible to avoid it again and build from there.

Sorry...can I just get this straight?

After years of watching wednesday there are people who think that us going down to league one would see an exciting season of us pushing for promotion?

Really? 

Sorry, doom merchant alert, but if we went down this year we'd be mediocre at best next season. 

• Like 5

Anyone Wednesday fan wanting Wednesday to be relegated over -12 points to stay in the championship is a fvking idiot.

Also, what is this attitude of its not right that it's applied next season. Well two things; season 19/20 is over by EFL rules AND the only true fair season to deduct the points is the season we went over FFP, that would still mean we are a Championship club.

So stop with the BS it's annoying.

• Like 3

I think it is madness to suggest taking the hit and going down.   Absolute madness.

I keep saying on here that we need a top class manager in, I say that so we can avoid outcomes like this, that would absolutely be catastrophic for the club.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the monk said:

Unbelievable , how can anyone want us back in the "pub league"?

Lets presume you get your wish and we are challenging for promotion with new young ( hungry?) players

We get promoted, pack out Hillsborough for the last game ,then on the p1ss for 2 days, celebrating wildly being back

.......to where we are now!

Just saying what I would rather watch. Not what I would rather have happen.

Another season in the championship with 12 fewer points than this season could be the end of the love affair for thousands of fans. It's just not fun watching Wednesday these days. We need a change, a complete overhaul

17 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Have a think about that...

So its a season of "meh"....on top of several seasons of the same banal tat.

A season of going for promotion from league 1..is not a million miles off a season of going for sod all bar survival....

all we need is chansiri to buy into it....because lets be honest...We want the premier league...and league 1 is as just an house down the rd from the Championship...owt outside the Premiership is simply looking into the toyshop window...

We will not be going just for survival, but more building a squad, AND a club capable of gaining promotion to the Prem League in 2-3 seasons time.

I am sick and fed up of looking for short cut's in the short term, and would rather look at having a plan for the long term of the future of the club.

• Like 1

Laudable post, but I’d rather sneak into the playoffs by one point despite the deduction. I’d also rather finish mid table and point to our points tally and say “ if we hadn’t have had twelve points knocked off we would have finished sixth” That’s the moral high ground that I would prefer.

• Like 3

When you go down, you never know when you're going to get back.

Ask the Blades.

We need to appeal against the deduction and hopefully get it halved.

This may well happen, not least because the EFL will want to scotch the claims of other clubs involved in relegation.

Then we need a new manager.

Four wins from twenty-three is shocking.

There isn't a manager in the land who could survive a run like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
20 hours ago, Spacehooch said:

It’s been said on a different thread but in the current climate there are clubs reducing costs and having smaller squads. There might just be a few more players around and not so many suitors. If you’re looking for a job sometimes you have to take what’s on offer 💁‍♂️

So the dregs that are left in the plug hole? League 1 here we come..

We may go down next year unless we make drastic changes but i honestly don't think we'd come back up for a long time if we went down this year.

We could quite easily do a Utd and spend years in the pub league.

I'd rather take the chance of staying up next season. There will be excitement and jeopardy due to us playing catch up.

Wouldn't be a good idea imo to take the hit now.

On 01/08/2020 at 22:28, asteener1867 said:

I don't like Charlton, I don't mind Wigan, and the plethora of clubs inbetwixt and between I don't give a flyer for.

my only passion is Sheffield Wednesday...and that goes beyond football.

lets take it on the chin, not only that, but lets go a little further..Ask for the points to be deducted THIS season.

Lets drop, lets admit we have broken the rules and ask the EFL to reinstate Charlton or whoever seen fit.

Is there that much difference between a season in league 1 on a level playing field, than playing "catch up" in a league we are provenly weak in?

At least that way we actually GO for something, rather than AVOID something.

Some of the best atmospheres Ive been in at Hillsborough were the Carlisle and Wycombe games when we came back up ..Go for that again.

We can hold our hands up, unlike a multude of other clubs , accept the blow, take the moral high ground.

Football is broken, We can take a stand in trying to fix it, by doing what we ALL know is right..Lets be a f.ookin' Martyr.

If we were in the same position as Charlton, we would be bloody fuming..Lets be honest.

I have already paid into next season, and took the option for the money owed to pay into the season after, but the nasty taste in my mouth , left by the way we have done it, won't wash away...Take the hit...take a siege menatality and balls to everyone else....

For this we need the fans, and I know my exhortations may well fall on legions of deaf ears, but this could be the start of a long road back..but its a road that has to be paved with an honesty that is alien to modern day football....

"Guilty as charged"

"F.ook you ..We are The Wednesday....We will be back"

The fans are well capable of dragging this club back....Chansiri, if he has any good intentons needs to get on board...or simply leave ...I'm sick of being embarrassed by bloody law suits  when it should be footbal shirts...and writs when it should be kits...

firstly football to owners is a costly BIG business not a saturday and tuesday passtime.

re- taking it on the chin, how about asking the efl to change the points deduction to a massive fine, and then offer to pay it off yourself.

until then, childish gonads like 'taking it on the chin' are just that, 'utter nads'.

he needs to see what the judgement has been based upon?, allow highly qualified legal personnel to go through it, and decide what action to take next if any.

• Like 2

On 01/08/2020 at 22:53, asteener1867 said:

Have a think about that...

So its a season of "meh"....on top of several seasons of the same banal tat.

A season of going for promotion from league 1..is not a million miles off a season of going for sod all bar survival....

all we need is chansiri to buy into it....because lets be honest...We want the premier league...and league 1 is as just an house down the rd from the Championship...owt outside the Premiership is simply looking into the toyshop window...

this 'just one house down the road' 

how many years on average has it taken for us to get back up when we've been relegated to the third?

we're not exactly masters at promotion....

On 01/08/2020 at 22:45, WalthamOwl said:

The thing is league one might not even start next season. 

Exactly - some fans don't be seem to taking into account that L1 and L2 could be in dire straits next season which could leave us with even bigger issues if we took the drop this season.

Under normal circumstances I can almost understand the drop to L1 to have a chance of fighting for promotion but at the moment, it could be a very, very bad thing.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2020 at 07:54, gurujuan said:

but because I feel the rebuild would be easier in League One

With £6million less in income - I would really like to understand your reasoning and everyone else who thinks that relegation would be a good thing

******** the high ground ******** Barnsley, Charlton and the rest.

How any of our own fans can want relegation for our club is beyond me

Edited by soldierboyblue
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

With £6million less in income - I would really like to understand your reasoning and everyone else who thinks that relegation would be a good thing

******** the high ground ******** Barnsley, Charlton and the rest.

How any of our own fans can want relegation for our club is beyond me

they talk in the manner they do because they only think of it in terms of 'championship manager' or some other 'game' where reality is absent.

as the saying goes 'money makes the world go around' and it's never been truer in football.

money now seems to be the basis for a good, effective side, be it buying in high earners (as has been the previous route) or quality signings at more bargain prices, but IF it's the latter then we need to sell when the player is hunted by a bigger club and wants out or we end up renewing his contract for a medium sized fortune and his wanting away is still reflected in his performances.

we don't need huge squad numbers, we need huge effort, ability and adequate squad back up.

• Like 1