Take the hit..Take the high ground

D1 clubs get less money than Championship clubs. No owner would agree to dropping voluntarily.

As @WalthamOwl has said, D1 and D2 would be very susceptible to being ended if Covid continues to hit hard. It’s not viable to play D1 matches without a paying crowd.

Anyway...

Sept 12 - Owls 2 v 0 Stoke

Sept 16 - Luton 1 v 2 Owls

Sept 19 - Owls 3 v 1 Wycombe

12 points off the play-offs and brimming with confidence.

Reach and Harris terrorising full-backs, swapping from LWB to RWB during games. The back 3 somehow gelled like super-glue over the Summer. A new dynamic CM forming a formidable game-dominating Luongo-Bannan-Watsit midfield 3. Rhodes and our new Rudy Gestede-ish forward-line doing very little else but just can’t miss in front of goal. (haven’t mentioned the No 1 shirt....I’m pretending to myself we don’t have a big problem there)

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I don't like Charlton, I don't mind Wigan, and the plethora of clubs inbetwixt and between I don't give a flyer for.

my only passion is Sheffield Wednesday...and that goes beyond football.

lets take it on the chin, not only that, but lets go a little further..Ask for the points to be deducted THIS season.

Lets drop, lets admit we have broken the rules and ask the EFL to reinstate Charlton or whoever seen fit.

Is there that much difference between a season in league 1 on a level playing field, than playing "catch up" in a league we are provenly weak in?

At least that way we actually GO for something, rather than AVOID something.

Some of the best atmospheres Ive been in at Hillsborough were the Carlisle and Wycombe games when we came back up ..Go for that again.

We can hold our hands up, unlike a multude of other clubs , accept the blow, take the moral high ground.

Football is broken, We can take a stand in trying to fix it, by doing what we ALL know is right..Lets be a f.ookin' Martyr.

If we were in the same position as Charlton, we would be bloody fuming..Lets be honest.

I have already paid into next season, and took the option for the money owed to pay into the season after, but the nasty taste in my mouth , left by the way we have done it, won't wash away...Take the hit...take a siege menatality and balls to everyone else....

For this we need the fans, and I know my exhortations may well fall on legions of deaf ears, but this could be the start of a long road back..but its a road that has to be paved with an honesty that is alien to modern day football....

"Guilty as charged"

"F.ook you ..We are The Wednesday....We will be back"

The fans are well capable of dragging this club back....Chansiri, if he has any good intentons needs to get on board...or simply leave ...I'm sick of being embarrassed by bloody law suits  when it should be footbal shirts...and writs when it should be kits...

I thought about this myself, not so much for the “doing the right thing” reasons, but because I feel the rebuild would be easier in League One. However, I think that was more a case of steeling myself for a penalty that sent us down. As I said, a rebuild in League One would be easier, and there is a certain appeal to watching a side challenging for something. Against that though, I’d like to see us introduce a new footballing ethos, based around watchable football, something that I acknowledge would be easier to develop in the Championship. There are some talented footballers at this level, and a lot of teams who play the right way, with players comfortable on the ball. In League One it’s different, it’s a league where limited footballers like Rhodes and Winnall would thrive, and the football is often grimmer than what we’ve produced this season. We need a big change, and the changes I want to see would be more difficult to implement in a lower league My worry would be, we’d be back to the short sighted vision of getting out of the division at all costs We need to aim for something more sustainable

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

D1 clubs get less money than Championship clubs. No owner would agree to dropping voluntarily.

As @WalthamOwl has said, D1 and D2 would be very susceptible to being ended if Covid continues to hit hard. It’s not viable to play D1 matches without a paying crowd.

Anyway...

Reach and Harris terrorising full-backs, swapping from LWB to RWB during games. The back 3 somehow gelled like super-glue over the Summer. A new dynamic CM forming a formidable game-dominating Luongo-Bannan-Watsit midfield 3. Rhodes and our new Rudy Gestede-ish forward-line doing very little else but just can’t miss in front of goal. (haven’t mentioned the No 1 shirt....I’m pretending to myself we don’t have a big problem there)

Put the cooking sherry down mate.

lol

• Haha 1

We would get 6m less in tv money for a start. That has to be the number one reason not to drop down to league one. 

Also there is probably no crowds for a while so our advantage of a big gate receipts would be wiped out.

And a wage cap looks highly likely to go through. So the fact we have a chairman willing to pay people 20k a week would mean nothing.

All our star players wouldn't want to play in league one, so our reality really would be all them league appearance less Man City youngsters.

There has never been a worst time to be in league one and apart from the fact we might win a few more games, I cant see any reason why anyone would want to be there next season.

But with all I said above it pretty much levels the playing field. Why do you think Sunderland and Portsmouth are kicking off about it all down there. 

I bet if you said to either of them, Sheff Wed are crazy enough to swap places with you next season if you take there 12 deduction in the championship. There response would be we would take minus 20 get us out of here.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I don't like Charlton, I don't mind Wigan, and the plethora of clubs inbetwixt and between I don't give a flyer for.

lets take it on the chin, not only that, but lets go a little further..Ask for the points to be deducted THIS season.

Lets drop, lets admit we have broken the rules and ask the EFL to reinstate Charlton or whoever seen fit.

Is there that much difference between a season in league 1 on a level playing field, than playing "catch up" in a league we are provenly weak in?

Some of the best atmospheres Ive been in at Hillsborough were the Carlisle and Wycombe games when we came back up ..Go for that again.

We can hold our hands up, unlike a multude of other clubs , accept the blow, take the moral high ground.

Football is broken, We can take a stand in trying to fix it, by doing what we ALL know is right..Lets be a f.ookin' Martyr.

If we were in the same position as Charlton, we would be bloody fuming..Lets be honest.

I have already paid into next season, and took the option for the money owed to pay into the season after, but the nasty taste in my mouth , left by the way we have done it, won't wash away...Take the hit...take a siege menatality and balls to everyone else....

For this we need the fans, and I know my exhortations may well fall on legions of deaf ears, but this could be the start of a long road back..but its a road that has to be paved with an honesty that is alien to modern day football....

"Guilty as charged"

The fans are well capable of dragging this club back....Chansiri, if he has any good intentons needs to get on board...or simply leave ...I'm sick of being embarrassed by bloody law suits  when it should be footbal shirts...and writs when it should be kits...

???....If we accept we have broken the rules,since when do the 'rule breakers' decide how the punishment is administered,and when?...sorry mate,but its a silly post.ASK for relegation from the Championship? & drop to a lower Division now,with all the uncertainty of COVID 19?...such a thong could threaten the Clubs very existence.

If Chansiri lost interest,we could find ourselves in administration,groundless,and watching Wednesday from Hillsboro Park, & yes WAWAW & i would still be there,& still supporting the Club we love, Your right about one thing,THAT will never change...

10 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Said the same thing this afternoon. If I have a choice of paying to watch an exciting season in league 1 with a young squad and a chance of promotion or watching us scrap around trying for the middle of the championship I think I'd rather watch league 1

I totally get these thoughts and tend to agree, The problem is ( as it always is) Money !. If fans arent allowed back until after Xmas, do you actually thinks there will be enough professional clubs for form a league one?I posted in another thread,I would not be at all surprised if the premier league saw this as the perfect chance to start a P/L 2 . Hence the end of the EFL, the league cup and the pyramid system. It would become a closed shop . Just think about that a moment blades prem 1 us non league !.

What we really need is DC to acknowledge he is out of his depth, change his ways appoint people who know who to run a club and let them get on with it. Its his best chance of every getting some kind of return on the huge amount he has thrown at his folly.   

• Like 2

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, Spacehooch said:

Yeah that was part of my point.

I mean going down next season because let’s be honest...it’s inevitable 

51 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I mean going down next season because let’s be honest...it’s inevitable 

At least we can recruit as a championship club this season. It might pay dividends if done right for a promotion straight back if we do go down.

Starting recruitment in league 1 is surely much harder.

12 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Said the same thing this afternoon. If I have a choice of paying to watch an exciting season in league 1 with a young squad and a chance of promotion or watching us scrap around trying for the middle of the championship I think I'd rather watch league 1

Unbelievable , how can anyone want us back in the "pub league"?

Lets presume you get your wish and we are challenging for promotion with new young ( hungry?) players

We get promoted, pack out Hillsborough for the last game ,then on the p1ss for 2 days, celebrating wildly being back

.......to where we are now!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

"Guilty as charged"

I agree with you but the reduced league 1 revenue means we would be screwed even more

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, Spacehooch said:

At least we can recruit as a championship club this season. It might pay dividends if done right for a promotion straight back if we do go down.

Starting recruitment in league 1 is surely much harder.

I’ll say it again, who is going to want to join a sinking ship??

2 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Plenty if you pay them enough 

agreed, unfortunately over spending on wages etc is one of the things that has got us in to such a mess but like you say I think that will be the only way to get any players of quality to sign for us. 

• Like 1

I started a thread asking if people would prefer -12 now and drop or start next season on -12. The overwhelming response was that I was mad to suggest League 1 could be a better option.

The advantage would be FFP resets and we have a chance to win more than we lose, the disadvantage is League 1 isn't a walkover and might not even start!!!

As for taking the moral high ground, it would be refreshing in a way!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Anyway...

Incredible optimism. The only unbelievable bit for me is having these players fit and available for 3 matches in a row 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

"Guilty as charged"

There’s no shame in taking the points next season. We didn’t decide upon the punishment.