I remember when football.

1 hour ago, JOCOWl said:

Unfortunately it's a business now and not a sport. Long gone are the days when it was a local guy running the club and clubs in the same league were on a level playing field financially, give or take a couple of million. Now it's a primarily a business with a hint of a hobby for the billionaires. 

I said this in another thread. If you get in a downward spiral these days it could finish the club. 

Young fans easily switch allegiances and sponsors / owners soon lose interest; then what? 

1 hour ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

Players cheat on the pitch and clubs cheat off it.

Football has completely lost its soul.

Agreed. 

Just watched some of cup final. 

Premiership players rolling around like they have been shot. 

Xhaka got Chelsea player sent off. 

Cheating has become so prevalent In the modern game that is accepted as normal. 

Embarrassing. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

More or less honest... 

lol

Back in the day when the bung was left in used £50 notes in a brown paper bag in the Little Chef

I agree with the sentiment, but there have always been crooks in football. Difference is now it seems to be the norm.

The bigger the money, the bigger the crooks.

• Like 1

Sadly, football isn't the same game it was when many of us were kids long ago. The joy and the spirit of it have long since been sold off for TV money and a couple of rebranded big competitions. Although I look back at good times in the early 90s, that's when the writing was on the wall for the game, with the rebranding of the old First Division and European Cup.

Where have all the characters in the game gone? Where have all the working class heroes gone? Football is dead and simply become a business and many of its true heroes and legends have all passed on too. Sadly, many of it's traditional old clubs will disappear to along with traditional tournaments, as long as the big clubs happily get a larger chunk of the pie the game will continue to rot away and will continue to lose it's history and tradition. 

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

It’s just entertainment now for me - like watching a tv programme.

feel sorry for younger lot - money’s killed what was brilliant about the game.

44 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Sadly, football isn't the same game it was when many of us were kids long ago. The joy and the spirit of it have long since been sold off for TV money and a couple of rebranded big competitions. Although I look back at good times in the early 90s, that's when the writing was on the wall for the game, with the rebranding of the old First Division and European Cup.

Where have all the characters in the game gone? Where have all the working class heroes gone? Football is dead and simply become a business and many of its true heroes and legends have all passed on too. Sadly, many of it's traditional old clubs will disappear to along with traditional tournaments, as long as the big clubs happily get a larger chunk of the pie the game will continue to rot away and will continue to lose it's history and tradition. 

1st place champions - European cup

2nd and 3rd uefa cup

fa cup - cup winners cup 

league cup - uefa cup 
reserve team football.

junior team football.

No profit and sustainably rules.

no parachute payments.

if anyone can disagree with any of the above I’d be interested to know the reason why.

13 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Agreed. 

Just watched some of cup final. 

Premiership players rolling around like they have been shot. 

Xhaka got Chelsea player sent off. 

Cheating has become so prevalent In the modern game that is accepted as normal. 

Embarrassing. 

I did not even know it was FA cup day!.