Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

Used to be fun.

You would go to the game with your family or mates, have a good moan if your team lost or a great night out if they had won.

You would take the P*ss out of your mates who supported the opposition, or take the same from them.

Then go for a Pint in the pub, and forget the game, looking forward to the next game.

It all changed when SKY took control of the game, along with the Premiere League, and the most important thing was making money, not trying to win trophy's.



And now it's all about who has the best lawyer and who can  use the most loopholes and financial trickery

 

What a mess

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

All of that still happens - days out with families, banter amongst mates on who you support 

 

Money has definitely ruined the fabric & culture of clubs and priorities in the game 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Used to be fun.

You would go to the game with your family or mates, have a good moan if your team lost or a great night out if they had won.

You would take the P*ss out of your mates who supported the opposition, or take the same from them.

Then go for a Pint in the pub, and forget the game, looking forward to the next game.

It all changed when SKY took control of the game, along with the Premiere League, and the most important thing was making money, not trying to win trophy's.

Then you joined owlstalk

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

...used to be fun

....was affordable

.....was on TV

.....was more or less honest

 

 

More or less honest... 

 

lol

Back in the day when the bung was left in used £50 notes in a brown paper bag in the Little Chef

 

I agree with the sentiment, but there have always been crooks in football. Difference is now it seems to be the norm.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

And now it's all about who has the best lawyer and who can  use the most loopholes and financial trickery

Were you thinking of anyone in particular when you posted that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately it's a business now and not a sport. Long gone are the days when it was a local guy running the club and clubs in the same league were on a level playing field financially, give or take a couple of million. Now it's a primarily a business with a hint of a hobby for the billionaires. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Used to be fun.

You would go to the game with your family or mates, have a good moan if your team lost or a great night out if they had won.

You would take the P*ss out of your mates who supported the opposition, or take the same from them.

Then go for a Pint in the pub, and forget the game, looking forward to the next game.

It all changed when SKY took control of the game, along with the Premiere League, and the most important thing was making money, not trying to win trophy's.

You're turning into your Dad!

 

(Totally agree though)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Football’s been completely ruined for me

 

I’ll never watch another game on TV that doesn’t involve Wednesday 

 

In the past I took a fleeting interest in who was in the playoffs or some of the bigger games in the premier league but its gone for me now
 

Especially since football became political

 

Its over for me

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

More or less honest... 

 

lol

Back in the day when the bung was left in used £50 notes in a brown paper bag in the Little Chef

 

I agree with the sentiment, but there have always been crooks in football. Difference is now it seems to be the norm.


Was referring to players on the pitch to be fair but understand where you are coming from.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...