Monk and the 12 point deduction

1 minute ago, Buxtongent said:

It matters little now what Monk or Chansiri do now, the  only people who can reverse this position , are the ones who have been AWOL in the post Covid era -the players! Now is the time for them to step up to the plate

Most of em have legged it

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

14 hours ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

Don’t agree it’s that simple - do you think Bruce’s results would have been the same without Agnew or Clemence?

Monk was doing well results wise (if not performances) with the existing coaching staff up until Xmas. 

35 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We will have to wait and see what our squad is like but that 07/08 squad was cobbled together. No one in there like Lees, Bannan, Borner, Luongo. But the likes of Grant and Tudgay are better than what we might have. It’s a bit like comparing apples and oranges anyway given the league is so different but we looked awful for 6 games and stayed up so that in principle shows it is do able and that is the attitude that will need to be adopted.

Not sure you can really say that about Derby at this stage. 

Leon Clarke was our 5th choice striker that season.

He’d get into our XI at the moment, even at 35 years old lol 

But yeah, let’s wait and see what our squad looks like in 6 weeks time.

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

It will take 2 season's to repair and rebuild the Wednesday squad upto a standard that will mean we can push on and go for promotion.

No matter who is the manager/coach.

IF anyone thinks we would challenge for the top 6 next season, need's to have their bumps examined.

Which division are you planning to get promoted from?

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

we've had thread after thread after thread on the over paid wasters who need shipping out and when we get a manager who agrees its whats needed  some want him sacked for not winning enough games as he attempts to build a new team with about 10 bob to spend .........it's not monks fault that high earners that dont deliver and are crippling the club with there pay packets are still here ..........

The problem with this is that he was a million miles away from getting the ones he wants to keep and who will be with us next season (making up the majority of next season’s team) from either playing with any semblance of a plan or showing us they would run through brick walls for him.

Now we are supposed to give him the chance to add new players on 3 year contracts despite these alarming signs, him never having had a team promoted and with no demonstrable rebuilding track record. 

That’s a hell of a leap of faith, particularly with a 12 point hurdle thrown in. Our performances were horrible over the last few months, and that includes from most of the players who will be in his team next season.

i just don’t get why people think we should give him a chance given all the above considerations.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

4 WINS in 23 GAMES!!  What don’t you understand? He’s an appalling manager!

I understand that ‘he’s an appalling manager’ in your opinion. I understand that your opinion is not fact. I understand that there are many different contributory & mitigating circumstances that lead to a manager’s success and that not everything is a binary choice between good and bad. Can you understand that?

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
13 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Its funny how very few were saying we were overachieving when we beat Bristol in December to go third.

You could argue Monk’s poor ability to manage the players over holding onto leads prior to New Year had us underachieving.

Conceding late goals (87th minute or later) against Cardiff (A), Blackburn (A), Swansea (H), West Brom (A) & Stoke (A) cost us 11 points from Monk’s first 18 games.

We’d have been comfortably in the autos over the Xmas period had we not thrown away those 11 points.

But we obviously were, as within 3 games we'd dropped back down to 10th.

The longest consistent run we had in the top 6 places was 4 games, then within three games of that again, we'd dropped back to 10th.

Every Championship club could apply the, if it wasn't for this or that, conceding late goals, penalty appeals, dodgy ref decisions ect.... I'm sure it wasn't just us that couldn't see games out.

22 hours ago, the third man said:

that's the point, Bruce knew he needed help and made sure he could get it before he took the job

monk was either desperate for a job, so he took it without any help, or he thought he was good enough to do it without the help

either way he was wrong

Or maybe he was promised he could bring his own staff in, but not immediately.

Too many variables 

On 02/08/2020 at 05:50, Blue and white said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, our lowest ebb has yet to come but make no mistake Chansiri is the many to take us there, I'm waiting with complete dread at the release of our accounts because there could be an embargo coming and with a half a squad and a 12 point deficit to over turn, league 1 could be just around the corner.

An embargo entails one in one out and no wages above 10-12k I think. We've seen about eight players leave and I doubt anyone coming would be offered above that anyway with match day income in the toilet for the foreseeable. I'm sure I read P+S is suspended for now also. Gelling a new team and overturning a 12 point deduction are a cause for concern. Personally I think we'll get some points taken off after the appeal, the precedent was set by Brum wasn't it? 6 points 3 suspended? The other positive is the financial rebalancing of the league means there are a lot more players available and less contracts on the table so we might not be as bad a prospect as we think. Some youth and energy injected into the middle, wide and attacking areas and some steel and experience in defence and midfield we might not have the total disaster people are predicting. Factor in the financial problems other clubs are facing we may be one of a few clubs with a 12 point deduction to overturn. Not being relegated was key. Even with a deduction we can draw a line under this and move forward.