Comparing punishment.

1 hour ago, metaframe said:

Go into Administration - stuff over suppliers, government, local people and staff = 12 points 

breach p&s for 1 year on a technicality around ground sale, no actual financial harm done to nation or locality = 12 points 

it’s not right. 

This did cross my mind the other day, I agree

Thems the rules though. 

It is the question of whether clubs should be punished for spending too much of their own money, but then it is the clubs who signed up to said rules.

Personally, I think FFP has more to do with trying to maintain a status quo than it does ensuring sensible financing within football, but here we are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Horse
37 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I thought that the possible punishment was unlimited?

Think you're going to have a busy day on here today.
I'm off to Weston Park for some fresh air and an ice cream. Horses LOVE ice cream.

You should get one of these for yourself and all the mods today though...

pring.gif.75bf53862967bbe417cb8619f208a22c.gif

10 minutes ago, BIG D said:

This did cross my mind the other day, I agree

in fact, you could argue that he is bringing funds from outside the U.K. into the U.K. economy rather than effectively stealing money from the taxpayer and the local folk in Wigan 

it’s nothing to do with being a fan — it’s just common sense 

While I think the decision is wrong, those are the rules.

I said all along we've done nothing wrong, this aspect we were cleared of. The only way we were going to be punished is if the commission found the transaction was not appropriate in terms of dates for the specified years accounts.

While accepted accounting practice and lawful, they decided not so for P&S purposes. 

I think there is enough mitigation to seek an appeal to reduce the points deduction, or have a portion suspended.

While its disappointing, we've dodged a bullit this season re relegation  which would have been catastrophic.

The plus side  if there is one, is that should we choose to put the £38m profit from the stadium 

sale in the following years accounts, gives us plenty of scope now to invest in the squad. Consolidate next season and have a real go at promotion the season after. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metaframe said:

Go into Administration - stuff over suppliers, government, local people and staff = 12 points 

breach p&s for 1 year on a technicality around ground sale, no actual financial harm done to nation or locality = 12 points 

it’s not right. 

P&S has many flaws but at its core is there to ensure clubs are protected in part from going bust, and tries to stop clubs getting an unfair advantage on others by attracting better players with money that they haven’t got. To overspend is cheating the competition we are in under the rules, so serious. I’d agree though that it is probably less serious than Administration that is a blight on creditors.

32 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Thems the rules though. 

It is the question of whether clubs should be punished for spending too much of their own money, but then it is the clubs who signed up to said rules.

Personally, I think FFP has more to do with trying to maintain a status quo than it does ensuring sensible financing within football, but here we are.

FFP has always been about that, maybe not a Championship level but the cartel of traditional clubs United, Liverpool, Barca, Bayern, Real, Milan were unhappy with new kids on the block like PSG, Chelsea, City.

FFP was brought in to stop another one of these that threatens their place at the top table

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

What’s not right is justify than half wit ‘running’ our club . Got what we deserved and it’s just the tip of the iceberg where this joker is concerned 

Honourable men don't break the rules, or so I thought.  Maybe he is not as honourable as some think. 

7 minutes ago, Ian_D said:

Honourable men don't break the rules, or so I thought.  Maybe he is not as honourable as some think. 

That’s a separate point to mine though. 

it’s not about our guilt or otherwise. Just that the punishments aren’t aligned 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

P&S has many flaws but at its core is there to ensure clubs are protected in part from going bust, and tries to stop clubs getting an unfair advantage on others by attracting better players with money that they haven’t got. To overspend is cheating the competition we are in under the rules, so serious. I’d agree though that it is probably less serious than Administration that is a blight on creditors.

But, according to Martin Samuel, we do have it.

It's just that unfairly we're not allowed to spend it.

Yet the parachute clubs are gifted brass and can.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, metaframe said:

it’s not right. 

Doesnt matter. We know the rules. End of.

3 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

But, according to Martin Samuel, we do have it.

It's just that unfairly we're not allowed to spend it.

Yet the parachute clubs are gifted brass and can.

Other teams manage it and get promoted. Get over it.

• Like 1