Can we or will we appeal?

Guest LondonOwl313

It reads to me like we’ve been cleared of misconduct as it’s probably quite a high bar to find someone guilty of that.

So they’re basically saying the stadium sale shouldn’t have been included for that year and therefore we were well over FFP for the three years to summer 2018, and that’s what the points deduction is for.

What I don’t understand is that the auditors signed this off for it to be included in those accounts. How can the EFL panel go against that? Maybe @mkowl knows.. are they saying the accounts are wrong, which I can imagine being a big problem.. or just that it’s not permissible for the purpose of FFP for that time period which is something different 

Guest LondonOwl313
21 minutes ago, WaikanaeOwl said:

Appeal will fail. Reading general independent opinion on social media there is a lot of anger over not deciding to apply the points deduction this season thereby relegating us. 

So take next seasons punishment and survive is the aim.  We have been fortunate in my opinion. We have been banged to rights despite what the Club argue. 

Agree, I think accept and move on now. Hopefully it will be a low bar next season because you’d imagine Rotherham and Wycombe without substantial investment will be 40 point kind of sides. We’d just need someone else to have a poor season and us to not be utterly inept and we’d have a chance of getting it out the way next season, 55-60 points would probably be enough 

7 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Agree, I think accept and move on now. Hopefully it will be a low bar next season because you’d imagine Rotherham and Wycombe without substantial investment will be 40 point kind of sides. We’d just need someone else to have a poor season and us to not be utterly inept and we’d have a chance of getting it out the way next season, 55-60 points would probably be enough 

err..... have you seen the state of our squad

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

err..... have you seen the state of our squad

Oh yeah.. and the manager. Just saying Rotherham and Wycombe will likely be poor, then just need one of Luton, Barnsley, Coventry and Huddersfield to have a bad season which I think will happen. So think the bar would probably be like 55 points whereas this season we’d have needed 61.

I’ve no faith in the current players and manager getting 40 points anyway as things stand. Just think that with a new manager and signings it’s more than doable. The hard part is that we’re unlikely to make those signings or change the manager 

The sanctions are at best ill-thought out and at best ridiculous. 

I've got no problem with a sanction being handed down if we've done wrong, just want to outline that first. 

What I don't get are numerous points:-

Why has it taken nearly 9 months to get a ruling on this? 

Why is there a sliding scale of point deductions? 

Why if we were showing signs of going over FFP did the EFL, the custodians of the fairness and laws of the game, LET US COME OUT OF A SODDING EMBARGO? 

Why are we not getting the points deduction THIS season? 

The sanctions are absolutely bizarre, and clubs are trying to get around it, we aren't the first. 

If the EFL want financial sustainability and 'fairness', they need to completely rewrite FFP, because seeing as Villa, Bournemouth, Wolves etc have all gone to the Prem spending mega bucks, and Bury, Wigan, Bolton etc have all suffered financially, it's not really doing a great job. 

• Like 7

Assuming no appeal. so the 18-19 accounts are due shortly. Does anyone want to take an educated guess at where we will be now.

What are the total losses for 16-17 and 17-18? Are we assuming the stadium sale now results in a small

Profit in the 18-19 accounts? 

The 19-20 accounts should be better with the squad being trimmed last summer and the sale of Joao but are we likely to breach again?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shez owl said:

No, the statement says we’ve breached profit and sustainability for 2017/18. That’s what we’ve been done for. They've disallowed the sale of the ground in those accounts. So we’ve not been done for concealing the sale or that the sale was illegal, they’ve simply said that sale should not have been included. 

So which years figures does the sale go into?

7 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It reads to me like we’ve been cleared of misconduct as it’s probably quite a high bar to find someone guilty of that.

So they’re basically saying the stadium sale shouldn’t have been included for that year and therefore we were well over FFP for the three years to summer 2018, and that’s what the points deduction is for.

What I don’t understand is that the auditors signed this off for it to be included in those accounts. How can the EFL panel go against that? Maybe @mkowl knows.. are they saying the accounts are wrong, which I can imagine being a big problem.. or just that it’s not permissible for the purpose of FFP for that time period which is something different 

The way I understand it is;

what we did re backdating the sale is perfectly legal accounting  in the wider world BUT not in within efl’s own in-house rules.

So-the sale is ok ,the accounts are ok but (in the efl rules) the sale has to go in the accounts for the season it got FINALISED (which it doesn’t have to in law,it can be backdated eg building a multi storey hotel - do you include it in the accounts for the year you started it or when you finished it (possibly 3years later)  ) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

What I’m struggling with is that the verdict appears fairly straight forward ie the sale of the ground was included in the wrong year. If this is the case then why has it taken the commission three weeks to come to this conclusion and why did it take seven months to hear the case.

^^^^  Saved me typing it 

Two dates to look at! , wonder how much money some folk have "earned" out of this 

4 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

The way I understand it is;

what we did re backdating the sale is perfectly legal accounting  in the wider world BUT not in within efl’s own in-house rules.

So-the sale is ok ,the accounts are ok but (in the efl rules) the sale has to go in the accounts for the season it got FINALISED (which it doesn’t have to in law,it can be backdated eg building a multi storey hotel - do you include it in the accounts for the year you started it or when you finished it (possibly 3years later)  ) 

Looks like that’s right. But for me the efl having rules which are at odds with the law of the land leaves themselves open to challenge. They’ve made a rod for their backs and the forthcoming myriad of legal challenges is inevitable and long coming.

This will be a watershed moment for the efl, hopefully 

• Like 2

Guest Grandad
10 hours ago, Birstall Owl said:

Could the EFL appeal to have the deduction applied to this season rather than next?

Yes