Charlton considering legal action

6 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Works both ways, We fail to understand that a breach of laws committed in 2017/2018 has anything to do with Charlton Athletic as they played their Football in League One from 2016 to 2019. 

I don't get that logic, the minus 12 has an impact on every club in the division next season. Charlton have every right to say this is relevant and impactful. The whole backdated impact argument is irrelevant as the points are being deducted in the future.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Manwë said:

The amount of posters saying we should sue the EFL if they deducted enough points to send us down, surely can't complain about the effect on other clubs and their response.

Remember, we are now punished by the EFL.  But the Tevez affair showed that a club could take on another club in a court for an offence already dealt with by the footballing authorities.

Yes but they'd be taking the EFL to court not us. Any monetary fine decided by the court would have to be paid by the EFL not us as we had nothing to do with the decision.

• Like 1

Just now, new zealand owl said:

I don't get that logic, the minus 12 has an impact on every club in the division next season. Charlton have every right to say this is relevant and impactful. The whole backdated impact argument is irrelevant as the points are being deducted in the future.

it’s only an opinion but..

The logic is that we overspent (and broke the rules) to improve performance on the pitch over a period of time, where Charlton weren’t even in the same competition. 

We’ve spent fizz all in the past 1-2 seasons. We didn’t break the rules this season, no advantage was gained this season. 

Charlton have only played in the Championship  this season and lost more fame than they won. Sour grapes 

It’s not our fault that the EFL have a system that essentially takes 3 years for punishment to be imposed. We’ve had numerous transfer embargo’s as punishment during these 3 years also. 

Whilst I can certainly understand Charlton feeling aggrieved, they need to tread carefully given their own situation re ownership. The EFL has the power to sanction them for their own rule breaches and may choose to do so by way of retaliation.

3 minutes ago, Woden said:

If Derby are found guilty as well they will get the same as us. If applied to this season means they have effectively got away with it.

.......and Reading too?

7 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Yes but they'd be taking the EFL to court not us. Any monetary fine decided by the court would have to be paid by the EFL not us as we had nothing to do with the decision.

West Ham were punished by the EPL, the  Sheffield United took West Ham to court and settled, for £18m iirc.

That was my point.

6 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

The timeline for our case when set was based on the 19/20 season ending in May. Those would have been the terms of the roadmap and sequencing and as such our points would be deducted from the following season assuming we weren't ejected from the EFL.

Charlton can ***** and moan all they like but under normal circumstances they'd have been relegated more than two months ago before our hearing even started.

Of course I understand them clutching at any straw they can and it's unfortunate for them, but this is reality and the terms of proceedings like this hearing have to be agreed up front to prevent legal challenges if it's perceived the goalposts are being arbitrarily shifted due to pressure from other parties.

1 minute ago, Rogers said:

it’s only an opinion but..

The logic is that we overspent (and broke the rules) to improve performance on the pitch over a period of time, where Charlton weren’t even in the same competition. 

We’ve spent fizz all in the past 1-2 seasons. We didn’t break the rules this season, no advantage was gained this season. 

Charlton have only played in the Championship  this season and lost more fame than they won. Sour grapes 

It’s not our fault that the EFL have a system that essentially takes 3 years for punishment to be imposed. We’ve had numerous transfer embargo’s as punishment during these 3 years also. 

So teams should be able to completely ignore P+S rules for 2 seasons, spend whatever they like as long as they stop spending the following season?

Its not our fault the EFL look at P+S over a 3 year period you’re right. It’s the entire football leagues. It was voted for. It’s also not Charlton’s fault they happened to be relegated the season in which we should have been punished.

What should we do? Reset the league back to 2018 In an effort to ensure fairness prevails? I’m sure Wolves would be thrilled with that.

If the boot was on the other foot there would be absolute outrage. We’ve been charged and, found guilty. The fact we were charged in this current season IMO should mean we’re punished in this current season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

So teams should be able to completely ignore P+S rules for 2 seasons, spend whatever they like as long as they stop spending the following season?

Its not our fault the EFL look at P+S over a 3 year period you’re right. It’s the entire football leagues. It was voted for. It’s also not Charlton’s fault they happened to be relegated the season in which we should have been punished.

What should we do? Reset the league back to 2018 In an effort to ensure fairness prevails? I’m sure Wolves would be thrilled with that.

If the boot was on the other foot there would be absolute outrage. We’ve been charged and, found guilty. The fact we were charged in this current season IMO should mean we’re punished in this current season.

Change the laws / rules because they are a complete nonsense. 

A line should be drawn under what ever has happened up until now and the rules abolished or replaced. 

Teams who break the rules should be punished for that season IMO, as it impacts on the teams in the division at the time. 

45 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Any appeal from us is completely pointless so the idea of delaying the punishment until next season for that reason just doesn’t stack up.

How can it be pointless, an appeal would not be heard until the season is over, besides that our season was over.

Maybe a plea bargain...next season -12 or we will appeal.

13 minutes ago, Manwë said:

West Ham were punished by the EPL, the  Sheffield United took West Ham to court and settled, for £18m iirc.

That was my point.

They'll have to decide if they take the EFL to court or us. I doubt they can afford both.

There's only one winner out of all this. The law firms.

Like others have pointed out, Charlton only have themselves to blame for being in their position. Our charge relates to a period when they were not in the same league and their only claim is when the charge was brought about and punishment expected.

I can understand their fans wanting blood, but it's misdirected. The EFL are not fit to govern the sport, their rules have created an environment where asset stripping (stadium and player sales) or creative accounting is required to compete with distorting parachute payments. FFP rules have made football more about the courtroom than the pitch. 

Modern football is a disaster of governance.