Charlton considering legal action

It’s fair enough.

The season isn’t officially closed off by the EFL until after the Play Off Final next week.

Makes zero sense that we’ve had such a conclusive defeat and they’ve put the punishment into next season.

Any appeal from us is completely pointless so the idea of delaying the punishment until next season for that reason just doesn’t stack up.

Edited by NeonLeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s been explained why it’s next season. 

this season would have finished 3 months ago. The court case would have still been ongoing 

the decision would have been made at this time regardless. 

they couldn’t deduct us points from a season that had been finished and a new one all sorted regarding fixtures etc

the only course of action was to deduct points for the up coming season. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest wilyfox

They’ve every right to appeal. The whole process is a farce, and the timing of the verdict makes it even worse for the EFL. If the panel intend their penalty to take effect next season, they should have withheld until this season was well out of sight. 

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

EeR6YZOX0AAWVoH.jpg

Works both ways, We fail to understand that a breach of laws committed in 2017/2018 has anything to do with Charlton Athletic as they played their Football in League One from 2016 to 2019. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Is it not the case that Charlton can't actually 'appeal'? They're not involved in this specific case so don't have any right or mechanism to appeal. 

I would have thought the legal action they mention could only take the form of monetary damages for loss of earnings or similar.

I doubt very much anything they do will change the fact of their relegation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The amount of posters saying we should sue the EFL if they deducted enough points to send us down, surely can't complain about the effect on other clubs and their response.

Remember, we are now punished by the EFL.  But the Tevez affair showed that a club could take on another club in a court for an offence already dealt with by the footballing authorities.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

Is it not the case that Charlton can't actually 'appeal'? They're not involved in this specific case so don't have any right or mechanism to appeal. 

I would have thought the legal action they mention could only take the form of monetary damages for loss of earnings or similar.

I doubt very much anything they do will change the fact of their relegation.

That's exactly what I thought