GARRY MONK vs NEW MANAGER THREAD

2 hours ago, davey_wells said:

Ironically, Garry Monk is almost THE perfect manager to have in our position.

He absolutely bossed it at Birmingham with that team under a real financial mess. Completely galvanised the team and the fans together. Monk knows we all hate SWFC at the moment, he's said it loads - he wants to make it right.

Who else in management has that experience and knows what it takes to come out the other side and survive? 

(Makes me wonder if this is a masterstroke from DC after all, and he was hired for this very specific scenario!) 

I think we’d stand a chance of beating relegation if Megson was in charge. He’d certainly know how to create a siege mentality and encourage the players to bite and scratch for points which we have to do plus I think he’d relish the challenge.

As for Monk the way we capitulated in the second half of the season and also some of the inept performances, you wouldn’t want him anywhere near this job now.

As for the Birmingham comparisons, totally different situations as Birmingham were in a bit of form prior to their deduction as we have no form to speak of and haven’t had for a while.

Edited by Jim

Just now, Jim said:

As for Monk the way we capitulated in the second half of the season and also some of the inept performances, you wouldn’t want him anywhere near this job now.

What about the first half of the season where he took the squad and overperformed and got us to third?

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What about the first half of the season where he took the squad and overperformed and got us to third?

Yes and then he threw it all away by trying to fix what wasn’t broke. Then once everything started to unravel, he didn’t have a scooby doo on how to stop the rot. He’s as big a reason as the chairman as to why the atmosphere next season will be as flat as a wet fart.

Edited by Jim

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Monk did well with his hands tied and a points deduction hanging over his head at Birmingham.

If we can recruit some players with a bit of fight in them, he could do similar here.

He was sacked  and apparently his second in command won't work with him again 

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yes and then he threw it all away by trying to fix what wasn’t broke. Then once everything started to unravel, he didn’t have a scooby doo on how to stop the rot. He’s as big a reason as the chairman as to why the atmosphere next season will be as flat as a wet fart.

You said Monk was gonna get sacked before next season mate 

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

megson got us to third once and he gets pilloried on here lol 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You said Monk was gonna get sacked before next season mate 

I thought he would and IMO he should still be sacked. I think there’s now more chance of him walking. Perfect get out for him now. If we don’t hear from him within the next week, my guess is he’s busy typing his letter of resignation? 

We’re not going to get a statement from the Chairman so we need a rallying call from the manager. Let’s see if we get it, eh? I might change my opinion of him if we do but given the way he’s blamed everyone bar himself for this season’s collapse, I very much doubt that we will?

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Garry Monk did 

and then slated the players in public ,(start of the rot lol)research his cv at his other clubs  not very pretty reading , and the downward Spiral , after the promising starts  is in the man's make up ,  

Edited by trevdi9

5 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

and then slated the players in public ,(start of the rot lol)research his cv at his other clubs  not very pretty reading , and the downward Spiral , after the promising starts  is in the man's make up ,  

Youve fallen for the bluster other people have been quoting 

EVERY manager has bad runs before being sacked 

lol

Dont get sucked in by the viral nonsense mate 

Owlstalk Shop

I know a manager who would take this 12 point deduction and use it to meld a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.

Wilder would. You know that. So would Warnock. Megson too.

The question remains, can Monk take a massive negative and turn it into a positive?

Edited by sibon
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think we’d stand a chance of beating relegation if Megson was in charge. He’d certainly know how to create a siege mentality and encourage the players to bite and scratch for points which we have to do plus I think he’d relish the challenge.

As for the Birmingham comparisons, totally different situations as Birmingham were in a bit of form prior to their deduction as we have no form to speak of and haven’t had for a while.

So out of form  it's managers fault... In form it's player who got them there!    Who be a  manager eh 

Just now, sibon said:

Who would take this 12 point deduction and use it to meld a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.

Wilder would. You know that. So would Warnock. Megson too.

The question remains, can Monk take a massive negative and turn it into a positive?

He did when in the exact same scenario at Birmingham didn’t he?

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

As above... With vast majority of the fans wanting Monk out the door, who will really want to come and take on this mess.

Just have to back Monk now at least until November. Hopefully he’s given chance to bring in some more young players.

We have been in far worse positions... Up the owls

“Vast majority”??? 

silly sod

Edited by eggowl
  • Like 1

We lose the first game and monk will take the brunt of all grievances at the club. A new man would be given time. Most clubs would have sacked monk after the brentford game tbh. Not only were the team not playing for the club or manager that day, they werent even playing for themselves. The walking back to defend whilst we got tore apart was an embarassment. I cant back monk personally, but whoever's in charge needs backing in both backroom staff and in terms of recruitment. Cowleys for the long term strategy, or dingle mick for the Yorkshire grit, them against us, save our season short term strategy for me.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

He did when in the exact same scenario at Birmingham didn’t he?

Indeed.

He’s also taken dog’s abuse while he’s been here and just got on with it.

If it wasn’t for the losing games, I’d be right behind him.