GARRY MONK vs NEW MANAGER THREAD

Just now, @owlstalk said:

The majority rules though 

That’s how it worked with Brexit

Dry your eyes and accept the result 

Thought Brexit was over 50% result?

Dry my eyes?

I am debating whether a manager who produced the 23rd best results in the division in 2020 is the right man to take us forward. 70% of your website don't think so.

Not sure where the belief in him stems from.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Thought Brexit was over 50% result?

Dry my eyes?

I am debating whether a manager who produced the 23rd best results in the division in 2020 is the right man to take us forward. 70% of your website don't think so.

Not sure where the belief in him stems from.

The debate is redundant. He isn’t going anywhere 

• Like 2

Just now, FreshOwl said:

The debate is redundant. He isn’t going anywhere 

That would make most debates on here redundant wouldn't it? 

Not as though anything anyone types is going to change anything.

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He is not the only issue, nor is he the biggest issue but nothing suggests he is the right man to be part of the solution.

Apart from his experience at Birmingham where he navigated through a similar issue  with overspend. Apart from that...

Edited by shandypants

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

Apart from his experience at Birmingham where he navigates through a similar issue  with overspend. Apart from that...

After they got the deduction they were poor. 

If that counts as great managerial success on his CV and is the sole reason to take us forward then great.

How well has he navigated our situation in 2020?

The big problem I see with keeping Monk is this . 

So the Chairman backs Monk & allows him to bring in the much needed players ,If we start the season with defeats lets say 3 or 4 on the bounce (we are very good at starting season's badly) the atmosphere around S6 will be toxic beyond belief and Mr Chansiri will need to act and remove Monk . Monk after the performances from Christmas esp the last 9 games will not be allowed any time to build so we are back to the same merry go round of another manager comes in and the old line "these are not my players" pops up . 

I think the players being linked are a step in the right direction but now after points deduction we need fighters also . 

Fingers crossed we don't get the above and we get off to a flyer.  

I think since lockdown the attitude of the players has changed...the Fulham game was a good indication...we would have laid down and died before lockdown and I don't know if it was not having the likes of FF and Hutch around but the young ones especially didn't throw the towel in and to be fair without the individual mistakes we should have got a draw from it. That is constructive for me and it seems like the players have bought into what Monk is trying to do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

7 in 10. Other polls on different platforms I have seen have had similar of not higher numbers, around 75%. It may not be a vast majority but it is a clear majority.

There are significant problems that clearly go beyond the manager and the players but just because there are major issues elsewhere shouldn't mean we can ignore the fact that our current manager took the same team he had helped lead to 3rd at halfway to the 23rd best out of 24 in the second half of the season.

He even tried a new approach after a 3-month lay-off, got people on board with 'positive vibes' - and finished the season with 8 points from the last 9 games and a continuation of the abysmal defensive record.

Please stop talking about a part of the season like it's the whole picture. You've been doing that for weeks now. Give it up and let it go!

Edited by GLOwl
Spelling errors

6 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

Please stop talking about a part of the season like it's the whole picture. You've been doing that for weeks now. Give it up and let it go!

Why? Managers are judged on their current records. Not many managers survive a spell of 4 wins from 23 games. 

Thanks for advising me what to talk about though. WTF:

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Why? Managers are judged on their current records. Not many managers survive a spell of 4 wins from 23 games. 

Thanks for advising me what to talk about though. WTF:

But surely he is brilliant as he got 3 points away at the champions? What a fantastic record that is, no-one better! Why would you want to replace him, the guy is a genius, the best there is.😙

Oh, and don't the players have an impact on results, or is it all 100% to do with the manager?

1 minute ago, GLOwl said:

But surely he is brilliant as he got 3 points away at the champions? What a fantastic record that is, no-one better! Why would you want to replace him, the guy is a genius, the best there is.😙

Oh, and don't the players have an impact on results, or is it all 100% to do with the manager?

Of course the player are also responsible but the buck ultimately rests with the manager. He is not capable of getting the best out of them. Yet to see justifiable answers to this:

Which bit of 17 points from 23 games, conceding 2 goals per game for half a season, trying different formations without success and continually making half-time substitutions because the approach he chose to go with was wrong fills you with confidence that he is the right man?

I'm just glad I am allowed to speak about the subject again, do let me know when you want to shut me up again though.

9 hours ago, james o connor said:

Even though megson has been on the scrap heap for 10 years I agree with you . Who would want to work for somebody as stupid as chansiri 

When Chansiri walks away and SWFC ceases to exist, will you be happy?

7 hours ago, Owl_80 said:

Pearson is the man but he won't come. I suppose our owner could make him the kind of offer he couldn't refuse though it's worth a try. I've always been a big Megson fan and I think they should have brought him back after Carlos left but I worry now that he's been out of the game too long.

Now we know we're going to have to make up 12 points next season, and up to now without a forward line and the rest all playing mediocre it's finally time to bring in the man that will save us next season, ... he's old, he's wise and he's NEIL WARNOCK. 

I think we've been very very lucky to serve the punishment next season because it should have been THIS season fact. Charlton Athletic are considering appealing the decision, .. and they could win the appeal. 

Bring grandad in, even if it's only to make sure we stay up. 

What a b100dy mess this club is in. 

Well you said fact so it must be true.

19 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

As above... With vast majority of the fans wanting Monk out the door, who will really want to come and take on this mess.

Just have to back Monk now at least until November. Hopefully he’s given chance to bring in some more young players.

We have been in far worse positions... Up the owls

Is the vast majority cooked up inside your head

2 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Birmingham were never in serious danger of relegation in 18-19 even with the 9 points deduction.

That was entirely due to the 3 teams at the bottom being so poor. Rotherham 40 pts, Bolton 32 pts, Ipswich 31 pts.

Birmingham only won 2 of the last 12 games that season under Monk.

Exactly. They were never in serious danger because of the job Monk did in difficult circumstances.

He inherited a team in the relegation zone, kept them up, then steered them well clear of relegation with a points deduction hanging over them the following season. Under his guidance, they picked up 15 points more than the previous season.

This season they've dropped back down the table and narrowly avoided the drop by two points, managing eleven points fewer than they did under Monk.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

After they got the deduction they were poor. 

If that counts as great managerial success on his CV and is the sole reason to take us forward then great.

How well has he navigated our situation in 2020?

I am no Garry Monk super fan and I will readily accept that he hasn’t shrouded himself in glory in 2020 and I will also accept that there are better managers out there; furthermore, I will accept that Garry Monk appears to be as exciting as a wet Tuesday afternoon in November but Garry Monk is not the reason our club is at its lowest ebb at the moment. We are at our lowest ebb due to mismanagement elsewhere in the club, pet projects, poor recruitment, “journey man” players, “can’t be arsed” players, bad advice, poor (or no) succession planning, and the like. 

Our first team/senior squad has been in a terrible state for about two years now and the signs were there long before. At some point, a manager had to grasp the nettle and do something about it. Even the greatest of wizards wouldn’t be able to solve our problems with a waft of his magic wand now. Whichever manager we have has to do some brutal surgery to our squad and has to make and implement some unpopular decisions. 

If we get another manager then so be it but they’ll only have to do what Monk has been and will need to do. I’d rather Monk stay in position and put things right than bring in another manager to start at square one again. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Of course the player are also responsible but the buck ultimately rests with the manager. He is not capable of getting the best out of them. Yet to see justifiable answers to this:

Which bit of 17 points from 23 games, conceding 2 goals per game for half a season, trying different formations without success and continually making half-time substitutions because the approach he chose to go with was wrong fills you with confidence that he is the right man?

I'm just glad I am allowed to speak about the subject again, do let me know when you want to shut me up again though.

I never said he was the right man, I'm responding to you saying he's not and I'm curious to know why you say that when he's dealing with the poor hand he's been dealt. You keep banging on about we got 17 points from 23 games, with no criticism of the players, just monk. The same players that got to 3rd under monk but no mention of that. The same players that we can see that some of them aren't up to it. Do you really think a different manager and/or formation would have worked better? Not until we get a lot more players in. That is obvious. Give monk the opportunity to get his type of player in and give him his chance. Then we can truly judge him.