@owlstalk

BREAKING NEWS - EFL VERDICT - 12 POINTS

We need to be in and around mid table come Christmas then we can push on we need a good start to the season, however with many a new player incoming it will take time to gel again 

11 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

As daft as this sounds ive just seen a picture of the championship league table for the start of next season with everyone on 0 points and us at the bottom on -12. Really hit home how hard it is going to be to make up the points on the rest. Looked bloody horrible. 

Surprised you haven't got it for your avatar 

2 minutes ago, Pressman 1 said:

however with many a new player incoming 

image.gif.d6db50a4e08bf4078c228215088823ca.gif

53 minutes ago, Pressman 1 said:

We need to be in and around mid table come Christmas then we can push on we need a good start to the season, however with many a new player incoming it will take time to gel again 

In an around mid table at Christmas time, starting with a 12 point deduction would require automatic promotion form.

Don't see it.

5 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

In an around mid table at Christmas time, starting with a 12 point deduction would require automatic promotion form.

Don't see it.

Would require first half of last season form 

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Would require first half of last season form 

Yep, like I said. I don't see it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Don't see it.

But it's possible 

I'm probably in the minority, with those complaining about a threabear squad. 

I'm personally looking forward to seeing if the young guns like Hunt can come in and play a part, Penney coming back into the first team fold. 

I'm old enough to remember leeds being in a very similar situation, yet they had the woodgate, Robinson and kewell came through and took their chance. Hopefully some of our young lads can do the same. Probably depends on our recruitment alongside this. 

30 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Yep, like I said. I don't see it.

Sadly agree with this, despite there being 138 points available and -12 not seeming that much in reality it tends to be.   Teams with points deductions tend to become sinking ships. 

For us it comes down to how much money we can spend, and if we can spend whether we can attract players to join a club starting on a negative.  

Right now I wouldn't say we have much pulling power but hopefully I will be proved wrong. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'm personally looking forward to seeing if the young guns like Hunt can come in and play a part, Penney coming back into the first team fold. 

I'm old enough to remember leeds being in a very similar situation, yet they had the woodgate, Robinson and kewell came through and took their chance. Hopefully some of our young lads can do the same. Probably depends on our recruitment alongside this. 

There is very little better than seeing young, home grown talent coming into the squad and doing well. Or, somebody else's homegrown talent, in the case of Fizz (Fisaro Dele-Bashiru)!

I am getting fed up with all the confusion being stirred up regarding our points deduction and when it is happening. I hate cheats and have always advocated dropping teams out of the league altogether if they go into administration, but precedents have been set and I really cannot understand why Charlton Athletic believe that they have a special case against us. Barnsley, fair enough, because they were relegated the season we allegedly falsified our accounts, but if the -12 points could have been applied in that season, we would not have gone down anyway, so why should we be sent down two, or three seasons later? Charlton's argument about us having players at the club that we could not have afforded without cheating is also a bit ripe, because I think we have operated under an embargo since before we allegedly pretended to have sold the ground, so apart from them trying to clutch at straws to stay up, which is understandable, I do not see how they can do anything about it apart from accept that they were not good enough to stay up. I am told that they have also carried out various dodgy deals of their own, so I am not surprised to see that they have tried to get other clubs to support them.

(PS how come Birmingham got off after disobeying the EFL while we followed their advice and Derby have not yet even had their hearing? Are Charlton going to round up the rest of the clubs against them too, or is it ok for their cheating to be punished a season or two later?)

If you think back to the season that we went down a division when Palace drew with us in the last match of the season, they signed several players in that season and the one before, who they could not afford to pay, but they chose administration and only got a ten point deduction, kept all the players that they could not afford and stopped up at our expense. If they had been given the -12 points they would get now, we would have stopped up and they would have gone down.

The -12 point thing with Wigan is an automatic points deduction brought about at the end of the season. If Wigan had enough points they could have survived after the -12 deduction but if they were going down anyway the deduction would be carried over to the next season in the lower division. That was done to stop teams from going into administration after getting relegated so that the points deduction had no real effect, which l**ds tried a few years back.

So despite our chairman putting us in the naughty corner and turning the rest of the league against us I do not believe that the playing side has actually benefited. Far from it. His bad spending, blatant disregard for the rules and willingness to bend or break the rules in whatever way he can to cover up his mistakes, has plunged us into totally unnecessary levels of debt that do not tally at all with the quality of our playing and coaching staff.    

As for next season, we start on -12 and nobody has a clue how that will affect us for good or bad, but common sense says that we will have to do better than we have the last couple of seasons and I am optimistic that we will.

UTO!

Edited by Ante's Bubbly
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Sadly agree with this, despite there being 138 points available and -12 not seeming that much in reality it tends to be.   Teams with points deductions tend to become sinking ships. 

For us it comes down to how much money we can spend, and if we can spend whether we can attract players to join a club starting on a negative.  

Right now I wouldn't say we have much pulling power but hopefully I will be proved wrong. 

Agree, in an ideal world we can snap up all these young players we’re being linked with but I don’t feel confident.  Yes we can offer first team football but do young players want to play for Monk over going to Bayern Munich or Villa?  I’m not sure I would and I support the club 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

That's a lovely romantic notion

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's a lovely romantic notion

Just need to find out if it's romantic fiction or real life romance lol

Posted (edited)

Something I am finding strange is how many people (not just on here) seem to be okay with what DC has done and that we have ended up getting docked points because of what he has done. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

As daft as this sounds ive just seen a picture of the championship league table for the start of next season with everyone on 0 points and us at the bottom on -12. Really hit home how hard it is going to be to make up the points on the rest. Looked bloody horrible. 

Trust you to have looked at the table a month before a ball has been kicked in anger! 

I know what you mean though, I don't want to see it to be honest.

24 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Something I am finding strange is how many people (not just on here) seem to be okay with what DC has done and that we have ended up getting docked points because of what he has done. 

Can't imagine there are that many that are 'OK' with it following the verdict, more that there's not much anyone can do about it now other than any appeal we may submit and we have to look at considering where we go from here. 

For all the mistakes and where it has currently put us, unless someone viable fronts up and shows an interest in taking it on, we will be in a far worse state if he was to pull the plug completely on his current level of investment.

9 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Not necessarily, bit of a mixed bag from this.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/bolton-are-not-first-team-start-a-season-a-points-deduction

A fair few teams have suffered relegation but many had more points deducted than us. Plenty have managed to stay up and dirtyleeds even managed to make the play-offs though that was in the 3rd division.

DC doesn’t know what he’s doing. He has money and business sense but knows nothing about football. 

He should have hired someone to run the day to day and stand well back but hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jenkins said:

DC doesn’t know what he’s doing. He has money and business sense but knows nothing about football. 

He should have hired someone to run the day to day and stand well back but hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

DE306AEE-D52E-4222-B604-83D99ABDA0EC.gif

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Trust you to have looked at the table a month before a ball has been kicked in anger! 

I know what you mean though, I don't want to see it to be honest.

Can't imagine there are that many that are 'OK' with it following the verdict, more that there's not much anyone can do about it now other than any appeal we may submit and we have to look at considering where we go from here. 

For all the mistakes and where it has currently put us, unless someone viable fronts up and shows an interest in taking it on, we will be in a far worse state if he was to pull the plug completely on his current level of investment.

I know what you mean about things being worse if he pulls the plug but for me he is slowly killing the club with his decision making, who knows where all this ends but if things continue as they have been I really do fear for the future of our club. Some of the things happening to the club are nothing short of embarrassing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pressman 1 said:

I think being in or around mid table at Christmas is a bit out of our reach; if last seasons points are anything to go by we’d need to be on around 33 points, which without the 12 points deduction would have us in 3rd place on 45 points which is 6 more than we got last season at the same time; I just don’t see us in that automatic promotion form required. 

I’d be happy just being out of the bottom 3 which would need us getting to approx 20 points at Christmas, which without the 12 points deducted would put us right in the middle of the table; we’d then have the momentum to pull away from the bottom and finish the season at mid table.