Guest gizowl

My grandparents were the Landlord and Landlady of the Crown on Heeley bottom and got a engraved pint glass of the 1935 cup winners through Wards brewery. My younger brother got to it before me the 2hat.

2 minutes ago, gizowl said:

My grandparents were the Landlord and Landlady of the Crown on Heeley bottom and got a engraved pint glass of the 1935 cup winners through Wards brewery. My younger brother got to it before me the 2hat.

My Grandad was a regular in the Crown, he lived on Broadfield Road and worked on Little London Road at a cutlers I believe.

10 minutes ago, oldoldOwl said:

Sorry I am not so old!  My first match about 1963. I do look at Owls talk but don't bother posting,  because many of you don't want to see anything sensible!

One of my favourite posts ever

• Haha 4

Guest gizowl
31 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

My Grandad was a regular in the Crown, he lived on Broadfield Road and worked on Little London Road at a cutlers I believe.

Not quite sure when my grandad died but my grandmother carried on running it till about 1960-61 and my grandma wanted my mum and dad to take over but me and my brother were on the scene and my dad didn't want us brought up in a pub. But she and my mum told us many wonderful stories through the war period and how people lived back then before TVs illegal gambling etc. 

I had the programme. 

We found it in my grandads loft when he passed away.

My dad who would have been 8 at the time wrote on the front in pencil "my dad went to this match"

I took the programme into work and kept in my desk.

When I left that job back in the seventies I went in to collect my things and some two hat had nicked it.

I don't think there's a week goes by I don't kick myself for leaving it there in the first place.

There you go I've upset myself again now. 

• Like 4

My father, rest his soul, would have given his high teeth for one of those at the time. Instead, he backed Wednesday at the bookies, and got drunk on his winnings.. Some 12 years after, he took me to my first Wednesday game (and with a struggle,i still go), and I was brought up on two chants - the League Championship side winners and the Cup winners, and I can still repeat them.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, oldoldOwl said:

Sorry I am not so old!  My first match about 1963. I do look at Owls talk but don't bother posting,  because many of you don't want to see anything sensible!

Thanks for replying. They're a bunch of nutters most of them but if you stick around you can add to the sensibility of the place lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank_Lucas said:

Dies anyone know if there's still anyone with us that attended the 1935 FA CUP Final?

1935-FA-Cup-Final-Ticket-Sheffield-Wednesday-v.jpg

It would be great if there was someone still alive who attended, very unlikely though. My Grandad ( God bless him) is no longer with us, he was 17 and he went to the game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Many years ago I read Roy Hattersley's A Yorkshire Boyhood where he describes being at the victory parade, but I don't think he had been to the match itself.

Roy Hattersley would have been 2.1/2 when the game took place.
Might be one of the last few people who can remember the celebrations.