Sean Dyche on identifying and managing players

I  think Dyche is a brilliant manager but like others have alluded to, because he's at Burnley with defensive tactics due to the limitations he's against, and because he's constantly touted as a bit of a Dinosaur, he won't get a top job at one of the big clubs ..

I liked Allardyce too .. I know he's not everyones cup of tea but you simply cannot argue against him getting results at clubs .. Blackburn, Newcastle and especially Bolton. What he did there was crazy. he's in to his football analysts and nutritions and stuff etc as well

• Like 2

The team that do well in football when they don't have world class players are the teams that are well trained and match fit and defensively sound.

The team that Carlos inherited from Gray were well drilled and very fit you remember that first season we seem to run over the whole itch for 90 minutes we were also very good defensively when you defense concedes less than a goal a game you know that 1 goal will probably mean you get something from the game.

Dyche, Warnock, Wilder, Allardyce, Pearson - good English manager do a good job and improve teams but never get a chance at the bigger clubs the last one to get a chance was Moyes at Man Utd and he was given no time to make a mark after taking over from Sir Alex. 

53 minutes ago, room0035 said:

good English manager do a good job and improve teams but never get a chance at the bigger clubs the last one to get a chance was Moyes 

Erm... closest emoji I could find was::image:

29 minutes ago, Dooogs said:

Erm... closest emoji I could find was::image:

I know he is not English but cannot think of an English manager in charge of a top 4 team in the last 10 years Moyes is British but spent most of his time managing in England.

On 28/07/2020 at 18:32, @owlstalk said:

It was a simply typo people due to the broken keyboard on my Macbook

Have edited the thread title now seeing as it was so distressing to so many people

If you or any of your family have been affected by this thread, we will be publishing numbers to helplines with professionals who can really help you through your trauma

Don’t worry about it mate, they’re just a bunch of nibs.

12 hours ago, torryowl said:

good move by watford to sack him and appoint zola .......i dont know how many managers they've had since but must be fair old number .

The irony being that Watford sacked him to get promoted and appointed Zola

Dyche went to Burnley and got them promoted straight away - Watford lost in play-off final...

Smart move!

Nto sure Dyche would have relished working in the Watford model anyway

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, room0035 said:

I know he is not English but cannot think of an English manager in charge of a top 4 team in the last 10 years Moyes is British but spent most of his time managing in England.

Hmm... depends on your definition of 'big clubs' but who was the last English manager at a big club? (apart from Garry Monk here)

Gerry Francis at Spurs? Bruce at Toon? (not sure if they count) Pearce at Man City? (they arguably weren't at all big then)

22 minutes ago, Dooogs said:

Hmm... depends on your definition of 'big clubs' but who was the last English manager at a big club? (apart from Garry Monk here)

Gerry Francis at Spurs? Bruce at Toon? (not sure if they count) Pearce at Man City? (they arguably weren't at all big then)

Lampard at Chelsea?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

Lampard at Chelsea?

Haha, good point.  I keep forgetting he's there (to be honest, I keep getting a shock to find the likes of him, Terry and Gerrard aren't still playing).

On 29/07/2020 at 11:32, room0035 said:

the last one to get a chance was Moyes at Man Utd and he was given no time to make a mark after taking over from Sir Alex. 

There is that story that he sat Man Utd’s defence (which included Ferdinand and Vidic) down and showed them videos of Phil jagielka 

Guy was clueless

20 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Excellent watch that.

I wish more of what he preached was evident in everyday life.

Respect and treating people right. Not that difficult really.

Treating people right is about Character.

We've had Characters, but did they have the right Character. Were they sappers? You would guess that would be the case with both installments of Frozen 1 and Frozen 2 we were treated too.

We may not get Shaun Dyche as manager any time soon, but his ethos is exactly what we require from Monk, or any manager,  if they are going to turn SWFC around. 

Dyche is looking for players in the same market SWFC should be. SWFC, like Dyche need to start looking into the character of the players before they sign. Interesting to hear Dyche said he discusses new signings with the youth coaches the player worked with to find out who the person is behind the player. 

Also Interesting story about Alex Fergusson and Danny Welbeck, with Welbeck being offered a contract because he was prepared to collect the footballs up after training, starting with the footballs in the most difficult places. Once again that's about the players Character. 

Football isn't all about formations and technical skills. 

17 hours ago, Johnny12Inch said:

There is that story that he sat Man Utd’s defence (which included Ferdinand and Vidic) down and showed them videos of Phil jagielka 

Guy was clueless

Can’t imagine any of that is true.

8 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Treating people right is about Character.

We've had Characters, but did they have the right Character. Were they sappers? You would guess that would be the case with both installments of Frozen 1 and Frozen 2 we were treated too.

We may not get Shaun Dyche as manager any time soon, but his ethos is exactly what we require from Monk, or any manager,  if they are going to turn SWFC around. 

Dyche is looking for players in the same market SWFC should be. SWFC, like Dyche need to start looking into the character of the players before they sign. Interesting to hear Dyche said he discusses new signings with the youth coaches the player worked with to find out who the person is behind the player. 

Also Interesting story about Alex Fergusson and Danny Welbeck, with Welbeck being offered a contract because he was prepared to collect the footballs up after training, starting with the footballs in the most difficult places. Once again that's about the players Character. 

Football isn't all about formations and technical skills. 

Exactly people always overlook the mental aspect of a player in favour of the physical. There’s plenty of players that are talented it’s the drive to succeed or become even better that sets the better players apart. Too many of the players we have had over the last few years simply don’t have that.

• Thanks 1